Swarovski SLC NEU 15X56 issues....

Craig4791

WKR
So i bought a pair of these last month and haven't really had a good chance to get out and use them yet until last weekend.

The problem is that i don't get a clear FOV with them unless i am perfectly still with them on the tripod. It seems as if i make the slightest movement i get the black mark in between the two lenses coming into view as if they are set too wide for your eyes, but i have them pushed all the way together.

It's really frustrating and pretty much a deal breaker for me unless someone knows of an easy solution for this or it may be a factory defect of some sort?. Bummer cause it's great glass but i'll be looking to send them back and try out the Vortex Kaibab's if there is no solution.

Anybody have issues like this with these Or the Vortex Kaibab's as i will be looking at those as well now?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no other way but to run a set of 15s without a tripod(effectively). Even if you weren't being blacked out, you probably would not be able to hold them steady enough for a good picture. The vortex do have a a narrower eye range which might help you but there is a noticable quality difference between the two. I wouldn't try to run my 15s without a tripod unless it is a quick look at something that peaked my naked eyes interest.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Just to be clear, i am not trying to use them without the tripod. just the panning from one direction to the other causes this to happen. If i tried to use them without the tripod they would be useless!

ckleeves

WKR
I can see how this could happen. I have a pair and they are as "tight" as they can go and they fit my eyes perfectly but if my eyes were even 1/4 closer together it would be tough to glass. My wife has complained looking thru them before of this same problem.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Your eyes are probably too narrow for those binos. I can't use the SLC 15s because mine are too close together too. I read somewhere that those binos wont fit 15-20% of people because of that issue. Hopefully you can get a full refund.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Craig, one thing I do as well is keep the eye cups screwed in all the way. That might help you.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Your eyes are probably too narrow for those binos. I can't use the SLC 15s because mine are too close together too. I read somewhere that those binos wont fit 15-20% of people because of that issue. Hopefully you can get a full refund.

Very good to know! Thanks BigSur. Wish i would have know this before i bought them.

I got them through Cabelas though and it has only been 30 days so i should be able to get a full refund no problem.

I guess the question is now what other big bino options do i have to look at that will be in the same quality range? I know a lot of people say they can't tell much difference between Ziess, Swaro, Vortex ect. but i have always thought swaros looked the best without a doubt.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will not find another pair in that quality class, I'm no optics expert but I can tell a noticeable difference between the next closest competitor which is vortex.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
You will not find another pair in that quality class, I'm no optics expert but I can tell a noticeable difference between the next closest competitor which is vortex.

I'm afraid your right. I see that Leica has a 15X56 Geovid HD range finding bino but I don't need the RF in it and the price is another grand on top of the Swaro's!!

Vortex has the HD glass in the Kaibab's so I'm interested in trying those out, it's an added bonus too that I would end up saving some money if I went with the Kaibab's but in the end I'm more interested in Quality over the price difference.

Swarovski needs to come out with a 15X56 EL model that addresses this issue and has the HD glass obviously. I'm sure a lot of guys would pick then up.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Straight from a swaro rep, it will be like ten years before they come out with el 15x56. He told me the size and technology isn't there for them. Also interesting fact, the 15s are the 2nd? oldest design swaro sells today. I wonder what the first is.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Craig,

If weight is not an issue the image in the Docter 15X60 Nobilems are competitive with the SLCs and less expensive.

Then there are the huge Fujinon FMT-SX 16X70s, that might have the best image of all, but you have to focus the eyepieces individually, which can be a pain.

MattB

WKR
One very simple but frequently overlooked thing when trying to get the barrels close together on the 15's is the thickness of the rubber loops for the objective covers. This reduces the amount the barrels can be hinged closer together, especially if they are spaced the same and touch one another (thickness of 2 loops between the barrels). You might try offsetting the loops to only have 1 loop's width between the barrels and see if that works better. My eyes are narrow enough I had to remove the loops entirely to get the barrels close enough together for proper viewing. My objective covers are now attached to the binocs via paracord - works just fine.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
One very simple but frequently overlooked thing when trying to get the barrels close together on the 15's is the thickness of the rubber loops for the objective covers. This reduces the amount the barrels can be hinged closer together, especially if they are spaced the same and touch one another (thickness of 2 loops between the barrels). You might try offsetting the loops to only have 1 loop's width between the barrels and see if that works better. My eyes are narrow enough I had to remove the loops entirely to get the barrels close enough together for proper viewing. My objective covers are now attached to the binocs via paracord - works just fine.

I hadn't thought of that Matt, Thanks I will try this out. I feel like they are very close to working I just need that little extra bit.