swarovski slc vs el 10x42 at dark...

Has anyone ever compared the swarovski slc to the el just before dark or daybreak? I have heard mixed reviews and am about to make a purchase.. I called swaro and spoke with a gentleman and he said the el have the flattening lense (Swarovision) making it crisp from edge to edge and the slc's dont but can reach a little further and better light gathering during those hours.. In short, he said the els are more for birdwatching and the slc are a tougher bino for hunting.. My main concern is clarity just before dark/at dark.. anyone with actual experience please chime in! I hunt primarily northwest montana so crisp glass is imperative in the high country..

Napperm4

WKR
I just finished comparing the 2 in the high country of southern Alberta over a few days. So very similar lighting and terrain.

Apparent brightness at dawn / dusk was almost indiscernible. They have light transmission of 91% (SLC) and 90% (EL SV) in their specs and I couldn’t tell a difference with either. Basically they were both clear and bright as soon as I could hike without a headlamp on.

While both were clear and bright I did notice a slight difference in the contrast of separate leaves with the SLC that I didn’t with the EL. When the sun was up it was the opposite, I got better contrast and an image I liked better in the EL’s.

For what it’s worth - I kept the EL’s and returned the SLCs. I liked the ergonomics better, the focus knob on the EL’s is better, the attached ocular covers and the view. I didn’t like the gator skin coating on the SLC’s and they didn’t feel as good in my hands. We’re talking seconds on the brightness factors but the clarity in the EL’s was unreal. The depth of focus and the flat field (matches my stx spotter) were the selling features for me.

Really can’t go wrong with either in all honesty. The useable field without the field flattened is still impressive. The apparent brightness is the same to me. Same glass, prisms and coatings. One extra lens element in the EL’s.

Swaro will tell you the SLC will do somewhat better with light gathering at dawn and dusk. I have compared them and could not tell a difference from that standpoint. I prefer the ELs (better ergonomics and image quality seemed better to MY eyes in all lighting conditions). If you can, try them both side by side in low light and see what your eyes prefer.

LandYacht

WKR
Get the Zeiss HT if you want the brightest bino. Same concept as the SLC, but better light transmission and IMO a better view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
I had both the zeiss fl and the swaro slc. Two of the brightest binos available. One knock on them imo is in good light they both have a bit of a washed out view. A less colorful and contrasty image. I own a pair of 8.5x42 el’s. Its awesome. As for the build quality of the EL‘s versus the SLC. They are both built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've compared both side by side...and I didn't see much of a difference. The SLC's might have a little bit more of a 3d view...but its minor. Now the old Swaros [the big ones] definitely have more of a 3d view....but they discontinued them as most guys want a more compact setup.

I own the SLC- and have for about 25 yrs. I think the ergos are better on the EL's...but not enough of an impetus for me to change.

Color rendition, Swaros are very good, I think the Leica Ultravids are a tad better as are my Nikon EDG's.

But of course its all so close you will get opinions either way.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
SLC every time for me.

I have owned the current EL and Zeiss Victory HT ( and compared side to side with the current SLC) . I have previously owned many others in the mid range to upper tier.

The SLC is simply the best overall 10x42 I have ever used.

JNDEER

WKR
May help some.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We did some testing between the two using an optics resolution chart at our Optics demo last month. there was a period of time, probably 3-5 min where we could see resolution with the SLC's that we could not on the EL's. Here is a link to the article, its primarily focused on rangefinders, but it was fun to compare binos and spotters as well.

https://blog.sandsarchery.com/2019-optics-demo-results/

Aw25833

FNG
This is good info. I'm shopping for a new pair as well and trying to decide between the SLC and EL. Hard to spring for the added cost of the EL when it seems like the difference is minimal.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord