Swarovski spotting scope eyepiece question

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
Why do some of you prefer the 25-50w eyepiece over the 20-60? Or even what about fixed eyepiece like the 30?

I'm trying to understand advantages and disadvantages of these and why you use what you use.

Im specifically curious in the sts, ats, hd scope preference. (I don't have a new X system)

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
The "w" makes quite a difference. It's a much wider angle view. Comes down to personal preference and how you're using it really. If the extra zoom is that important then you have no choice. But the wide angle is much more relaxing to look through and mitigates the tunnel vision spotters are known for. At least for me personally

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Unless you are in absolutely ideal conditions you aren't going to max out on zoom anyways. Eye relief is better on the fixed 30x and field of view is better on the wide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can only comment on going from a 20-60x to a fixed 30x on my kowa, but i'm sure it's the same with swarovski or any other manufacturer. The fixed power eyepieces are just plain better optically in every category, and the difference in my experience is huge. Field of view, color, sharpness and edge to edge are noticeably better in the fixed eyepiece. I still pack my 20-60 because i do like being able to zoom in for getting phoneskope video but for overall viewing the 30x takes the cake. Now i understand some of the high end wide angle zooms are pretty dang good and the differences may not be as noticeable, like the swaro 25-50 or the meopta 30-60.

fatrascal

WKR
I've had both 20x60 and the 25x50 wide angle eyepieces. Advantage of the 20x60 is that sometimes when you start at low power on a scope sometimes 20 power seems like too much power when things are kinda close and 25 power is 5 more power than the 20 power and makes it that much harder to find the target or glass someting just a hundred or two hundred yards away. But thats just a small inconvenience. Another advantage is that sometimes you need 60 power to see that sticker or trash that shows up only when a buck turns his head a certain way. You can't always use 60 power effectively but there are lots of times you can and that extra bit of power sometimes makes the difference,
Advantage of 25x50 is a wider field of view. while your glassing you get a wider picture. I once read that the 25x50 took better digiscoping video and the 20x60 better pictures. While I don't know if thats true it seemed like it was with my eyes.
The advantage of HD for me is simply better digiscoping quality. I cannot see a difference between HD and non HD scopes when set up side by side even when the sun is going down. But I'm 56 and my eyesight is not perfect. But I do see better picture and video quality.
Thats my experience. Fatrascal.