Swarovski stm 65?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have to opportunity to buy a friend's swarovski stm 65 hd with 20x50 eyepiece. I know this magnesium spotter is harder to find. He has had it for 8 to 10 years I think. My question is the glass. Is ten year old swarovski hd glass as good as the new hd glass? If the price is right should I buy it or spend a little more and get a brand new one? Thanks

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
A 2022 STS 65 HD will have continual minor improvments over a 10-year old STM-65 HD (aside from the body housing difference) but I would be surprised if the difference would be noticeable.

tdhanses

WKR
I may be wrong but I don’t think anything has changed on the sts/stm/ats/atm hd’s as far as coatings or lens‘s etc, I think they would be the same. Also you could always send it back to swaro to do a cleaning and/or call them and ask if there are any differences in a 2022 model vs a 2012-2014, give them the serial number and they’ll tell you exactly the difference.

if the price is under $1700 I’d say go for it, otherwise I’d then look at a Kowa 77.

KingGus

WKR
If weight is priority the magnesium Swarovski’s are an awesome option. For example the Kowa 77s are advertised as a light weight option but they’re actually heavier than the Swarovski ATS 80HD by an oz or so and the Kowa build quality is miles behind Swarovski. The STM will have some of the best glass you can find in a lightweight package.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
There have been no changes to the glass since the end of the STM line as long as it is HD. That's a phenomenal piece of equipment. I've had 2 of them a 65 and an 80.

tdhanses

WKR
If weight is priority the magnesium Swarovski’s are an awesome option. For example the Kowa 77s are advertised as a light weight option but they’re actually heavier than the Swarovski ATS 80HD by an oz or so and the Kowa build quality is miles behind Swarovski. The STM will have some of the best glass you can find in a lightweight package.
After owning both the sawro 80 hd and Kowa 77, i wouldn’t agree with you on build quality at all but to each their own.

KingGus

WKR
After owning both the sawro 80 hd and Kowa 77, i wouldn’t agree with you on build quality at all but to each their own.

It was the little things that put me off, play in the course focus, my one actually had a small 2mm dent in the housing (the main reason I returned it), lens caps where subpar, the fit and finish was poorer than the Swarovski. Glass was great though.

I have a kowa 663 and that thing is a little beast! Good glass, nice and light, and cheap!

tdhanses

WKR
It was the little things that put me off, play in the course focus, my one actually had a small 2mm dent in the housing (the main reason I returned it), lens caps where subpar, the fit and finish was poorer than the Swarovski. Glass was great though.

I have a kowa 663 and that thing is a little beast! Good glass, nice and light, and cheap!
I would of returned that, crazy, yeah mine isn’t like that at all. The lens caps were redone, they did fit poorly previously but the upgraded ones have been good. I think some feel the lack of rubber coating is a lacking in fit but hasn’t been an issue for me.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have to opportunity to buy a friend's swarovski stm 65 hd with 20x50 eyepiece. I know this magnesium spotter is harder to find. He has had it for 8 to 10 years I think. My question is the glass. Is ten year old swarovski hd glass as good as the new hd glass? If the price is right should I buy it or spend a little more and get a brand new one? Thanks
That’s a great scope and the eyepiece you want. I’d not fear a 10 year old Swarovski. I had a 20 year old Zeiss and “upgraded” to an ATX/BTX for the modularity. No huge gains in optical view.

opalfan

FNG
I am a big fan of Swarovski and have an ATX 65 as well as several binoculars. The glass is superb. However, in order to mount you need a proprietary Swiss-Arca - based tripod head that in itself mounts to their CCT tripod stand. If you can get it all for a reasonable price, I would say go ahead! :)