Swarovski vs Kowa warranty comparison

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to throw down on a new spotter, leaning heavily towards the Swarovski STS model but haven't decided if I want the 65 or 80 version. Also looking at some of the Kowa's as I've been hearing a lot of good things about them but have no experience with any of their optics. I have a pair of Swarovski bino's and love them plus the customer service/warranty is incredible. For those that have used the Kowa's and Swarovski's, how do they stack up to each other when it comes to warranty/customer service?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Both companies have great CS and their warranties are the same.
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing the different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

MattB

WKR
Doug, there can be a difference between how the warranty reads and how the company actually administer warranty claims. In your (or your customer's) experience, has Kowa been on par with Swarovski? I've owned a number of Swarovski products over the years, and for the few times I needed to rely on the warranty their service was outstanding - above and beyond expectation.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, there can be a difference between how the warranty reads and how the company actually administer warranty claims. In your (or your customer's) experience, has Kowa been on par with Swarovski? I've owned a number of Swarovski products over the years, and for the few times I needed to rely on the warranty their service was outstanding - above and beyond expectation.
I've had few and far between issues with any Kowa products, however, those few times they've been efficient and professional

Matt G.

WKR
I just wish kowa made that 66 mm with the 77/88 eye piece!...I will be quick to sell the 77...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Had to use the Kowa warranty once for an inclusion that appeared internally in the eyepiece in between 30-40x power. I bought this scope and eyepeice in 2016. It was a black spec that was only visible while looking into the sky or bright background. I sent the eyepiece in for inspection and cleaning. When I received it back it was a mess and the eyepiece looked all smudged internally. I was disappointed and called them up along with sending them pictures of the problems. They gave me Paul Kardos's contact info and forwarded my e-mail to him. I was able to talk to him on the phone and he stated that they must have sent me a damaged or defective eyepiece by mistake. He made it right by sending me a brand-new replacement eyepiece no questions asked. The customer service I received was excellent and the new eyepiece works amazing. I would highly recommend Kowa. BTW, I also own Swaro and Zeiss but have not used their warranty/service yet so I cannot provide feedback.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Had to use the Kowa warranty once for an inclusion that appeared internally in the eyepiece in between 30-40x power. I bought this scope and eyepeice in 2016. It was a black spec that was only visible while looking into the sky or bright background. I sent the eyepiece in for inspection and cleaning. When I received it back it was a mess and the eyepiece looked all smudged internally. I was disappointed and called them up along with sending them pictures of the problems. They gave me Paul Kardos's contact info and forwarded my e-mail to him. I was able to talk to him on the phone and he stated that they must have sent me a damaged or defective eyepiece by mistake. He made it right by sending me a brand-new replacement eyepiece no questions asked. The customer service I received was excellent and the new eyepiece works amazing. I would highly recommend Kowa. BTW, I also own Swaro and Zeiss but have not used their warranty/service yet so I cannot provide feedback.
This is exactly what I was looking for, when you send your optics in for cleaning/repair do they charge you for it or is it free other than shipping? Just trying to get a feel for how they compare to Swarovski.

Swarovski doesn't charge anything for their cleaning service and if it needs repair that's usually free as well, depending on it's age. They've sent my binoculars to Austria twice (over a 10 year timeframe), the first time they fixed them for free and all I paid for was the shipping to get them in for cleaning. The 2nd time it cost me $155 and they replaced the lens' and it was well worth the cost, they are like new again. Swarovski's customer service is 2nd to none and they have treated me like a lifelong friend and that's rare these days.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
No charge other than initial shipping to them and they offered to give me a discount on any accessory to make up for it. Great service in my book!

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
No charge other than initial shipping to them and they offered to give me a discount on any accessory to make up for it. Great service in my book!
Nice! Looks like I might be looking a little harder into their optics. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, getting closer to making a decision, if you had the choice between the Kowa 884 with the TE-11WZ II eyepiece and the Swarovski STS80 HD 20-60 eyepiece, which would you get? I'm not concerned with the dimensions of either scope, I've used a buddies Swarovski spotter and know how the focus ring and all that works, no experience with the Kowa. I can get the Kowa for just a little over $24XX and the Swaro for $27XX

tdhanses

WKR
Ok, getting closer to making a decision, if you had the choice between the Kowa 884 with the TE-11WZ II eyepiece and the Swarovski STS80 HD 20-60 eyepiece, which would you get? I'm not concerned with the dimensions of either scope, I've used a buddies Swarovski spotter and know how the focus ring and all that works, no experience with the Kowa. I can get the Kowa for just a little over $24XX and the Swaro for $27XX
Considering the Kowa 88 series is considered better then the Swaro ATX/STX that’s a pretty easy choice, I’d also take the Kowa 77 over the swaro HD 80 ats/sts, which is what i had previous to it.

If your looking at the 88’s, the only comparison with swaro should be the atx/stx and if you want the modularity of it.

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Don't need the modularity, I looked at the 774 but it lacks the flourite lens, is the flourite that much of a game changer between the 774 and 884?

WRM

WKR
Given your profile pic maybe you need the upsize model. If not, don't overlook those Kowa 500 series. Sweet spotters.

tdhanses

WKR
Don't need the modularity, I looked at the 774 but it lacks the flourite lens, is the flourite that much of a game changer between the 774 and 884?
It is better but wasn’t worth the extra to me, i’d also add the Kowa extender if you get the 77 or 88, takes the zoom to 48x-96x.

There is a thread here where i looked at the moon through the 77 on 96x.

tdhanses

WKR

OP
Alaskan89

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that, incredible pics of the moon!