Swarovski Z5 vs Nightforce NXS

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about upgrading my scope and was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these optics: Swarovski Z5 and Nightforce NXS. I know you save weight with the Swaro and the question really comes down to what type of gun (long range vs backcountry vs etc) that I am intending to put it on, but for the sake of simplicity let's say this is for an all around western mountain gun (300 win mag) that would be used in a variety of situations and I would want it to be capable out to 1000 yards. they have similar price tags, still debating magnification but will likely go 5-25 for swaro or 5.5-22 for NF. what do you guys think? I know the NF is indestructible, etc and the Swaro is light, maybe that's the deciding factor.

Gambyt

FNG
I went to Cabelas with the exact same decision to make. Nightforce was so heavy couldn't pick it. Also Swaro seemed brighter. Haven't hunted with it yet though.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The NF is one of the best out there for durability, repeatability, keeping your zero and those are why I use them.

OP
W

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the feedback. WRO - yea I wouldn't plan to use a BT for a quick clicking to 1000. That would certainly be dialing up more precise MOA adjustments based on conditions, but its nice to have that to dial back to zero.

Kotaman

WKR
For a "back country" scope, it is hard to beat the Swaro...For the back country, I would not go with NF...as good as they are, they are just too heavy and big.

Wyfox

FNG
I've owned both, the Nightforce 5.5-22 is really heavy and too large for what you want. The Swaro 3-18x44 with the BRH reticle is the best option in my opinion. Also look at the Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm and 40mm if you want to turn turrets, 10x is plenty for hunting. I've killed elk, deer, and antelope over 700yds with a 10x optic.

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Save weight somewhere else not in your optic. Go with nightforce.I upgraded to the ATACR. I love it. I'm a backpack hunter as well.
Corey

Thinking about upgrading my scope and was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these optics: Swarovski Z5 and Nightforce NXS. I know you save weight with the Swaro and the question really comes down to what type of gun (long range vs backcountry vs etc) that I am intending to put it on, but for the sake of simplicity let's say this is for an all around western mountain gun (300 win mag) that would be used in a variety of situations and I would want it to be capable out to 1000 yards. they have similar price tags, still debating magnification but will likely go 5-25 for swaro or 5.5-22 for NF. what do you guys think? I know the NF is indestructible, etc and the Swaro is light, maybe that's the deciding factor.
You are asking a lot from an optic/rifle combo to be able to make accurate first round hits at 1000 yards and still be classified as a backcountry gun. Most folks think of backcountry guns as being short barreled and light. Neither of those qualities are found in a 1000 yard long range rifle.

I don't own a Swaro scope, but have looked through and shot a couple of them. The optical quality matches their spotters and binos, of which I own plenty. However, that clarity is not required to make a shot on an animal at distance. What is required is the ability to see the animal, see the reticle, and adjust the reticle to account for drop and windage. The reason LR scopes have 30MM tubes isn't to increase light transmission, it's to increase elevation adjustment. 1" tubes simply fall short in that department. The Z5 advertises 43 minutes of elevation adjustment, the NXS sports 100 minutes.

I don't know anything about the Z5's durability or accuracy, all I ever hear about it is it's optical clarity and weight. Yes, the NXS is heavy, but after firing thousands of rounds at distances at or exceeding the distance you want to shoot, I can promise you the Nightforce is plenty clear enough to take the shot in legal light levels and beyond. If I were building an all around mountain rifle that was capable of reaching out to it's ballistic limit, but also handy at shorter distances, I would mount a 3.5-15x50 NXS on it. The 22x is definitely better at distance, but the 3.5x trumps the 5.5x up close.

WRO

WKR
The z-5 is rock solid in the toughness department. You are correct on the dials though, with a standard 300 winny shooting 190/200 grain bullets you are limited to about 800 in the turret. Which is beyond the range of 98% of shooters out there.

The z-5 is rock solid in the toughness department. You are correct on the dials though, with a standard 300 winny shooting 190/200 grain bullets you are limited to about 800 in the turret. Which is beyond the range of 98% of shooters out there.

I have no doubts concerning Swaro's toughness, I use their spotters and binos as hard as my other equipment...flawless performance.

You are also spot on with the last sentence. My observation over the years has been that guys who are actually shooting those kinds of distances in the field aren't trying to shave ounces in the optics department:)

WRO

WKR
I have no doubts concerning Swaro's toughness, I use their spotters and binos as hard as my other equipment...flawless performance.

You are also spot on with the last sentence. My observation over the years has been that guys who are actually shooting those kinds of distances in the field aren't trying to shave ounces in the optics department:)

Working in the business and actually dabbling in Long Range a bit, most guys have no business shooting over 300. Just because you bought a new wizbang 2500 yard rifle with a 8-56 scope on it, does not mean you are physically capable of making that shot.

And its not just your wizbang 2500 yard rifle you need, its a Kestrel, PDA, good spotter, Chrono graph (not in the field) load development, etc you need. Being effective beyond 600 is a whole different game. Kind of like shooting a bow consistently accurate at 100 yards plus. (which i think is actually easier) Your form needs to be perfect.

Sorry for the rant. Get the scope you want, but be aware of everything else that is involved and needed for consistent long range shooting.

OP
W

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
awesome feedback. thank you for all the information and it certainly has helped my research. likely will go with the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 as I already have a lighter weight rifle option with a leupold vx3 that's plenty light and capable for those situations. I realized this rifle project is more for the distance and adjustability without a total focus on weight. Also, I absolutely do not even pretend to be in the same long range competency bucket as many of the guys on here (especially Sam). I can only hope to build up my skills to that level through practice and have been attempting to do so with my kestrel, ballistic program, etc.

Gambyt

FNG
I decided on the Swaro to mount on a mountain rifle. I knew I would not be shooting 800-1000 yards, or 1000's of times, as has been suggested with some of these posts. I don't think you can go wrong with either scope but I believe the Swaro fit my purpose a little better.