Swarovski Z5 vs Nightforce SHV

Which option do you think for a T3X Lite 300 Win Mag?

• Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT - 4W

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 – MOAR

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I am wrapping up my Tikka T3X 300 Win Mag build (already have a Manners EH stock, and am having the barrel threaded for a brake), and am now trying to decide on a scope. I am down to two options that are very different from one another, and would love to get input from those of you that have used either or both. I will primarily be using the rifle for Western open country hunts, so will be reaching out to 500+ yards. The two scopes that I am considering are:

1. Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT - 4W Reticle
Pros:
-Lightweight - 15.9 oz
-Great glass
-Turret adjustment with zero stop and proven tracking/RTZ
-Higher top-end magnification

Cons:
Probably not as robust as SHV
Price - $1,133 shipped

2. Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 - MOAR
Pros:
-Very Robust design
-30mm tube, so can reach out farther using only the MOAR reticle
-Price - $785 shipped

Cons:
-Heavier - 20.8 oz
-Lower top-end magnification
-Turrets can be used to adjust for distance and windage, but without a zero stop holdover is more likely

Which do you think? Why?

Kotaman

WKR
If you plan on "dialing", no doubt the Nightforce is gonna be more consistent and return to zero time and time again. If you aren't a "dialer", the Swaro is a great lightweight mountain scope. I've used a bunch of each and my confidence factor is 10 fold with the NF if spinning turrets. In fact I sold all of my Z5's and replaced them with Nightforce.

mcseal2

WKR
I went with a Huskemaw 3-12x on my 300 just since it was designed for dialing like the nightforce would be. I have a Swaro Z5 3-18x44 and did not have trouble with it on 18x finding a target. The glass is amazing in it, as good as anything I've looked through. I would sell my Swaro, same model/reticle you are interested in, if you decide to go that route PM me.

The quality of glass favors the Swaro-- the mechanics favors the NF. I do like the Swaro BT but one revolution will limit the range you can dial to about 700-800 yards.

Gotta figure out which variable matters the most to you- if it is weight and glass quality the Swaro wins. If you are dialing and want to really reach out I would probably go NF. BUT- Id go with the 4.5-14 or the 5-20x-- price will be in the same ball park as the Swaro but you can get an exposed elevation turret, illuminated reticle or even FFP if you decided on a SHV F1.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
BUT- Id go with the 4.5-14 or the 5-20x-- price will be in the same ball park as the Swaro but you can get an exposed elevation turret, illuminated reticle or even FFP if you decided on a SHV F1.

My primary concern with going to a higher power Nightforce scope is weight. The 4-14x50 weighs 30 oz.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I am open to suggestions for other brands/scopes if you think I am headed in the wrong direction.

Leupold VX5HD would be well in the price range-- 3-15x44, and I think they offer a windplex reticle. The 5HD CDS-ZL2 system is nice too! I have one on a .308 and so far so good.

WKR
I have and use that SHV F1 and like it a lot. I voted for the 3-10 but if the 4-14 is being considered, I'd go that route.

FURMAN

WKR
If you are going to be dialing and shooting past 500 I would look at a Zeiss V4 or the Huskemaw 5-20 with weight being a concern.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I wound up buying a Leica ER5 2-10x50 from Doug at a price that was too good to pass up.

7rem

FNG
I have a 5-20 shv and it a great scope with great glass but I just got a V4 6-24 Zeiss and that is the scope I would buy again. The dial is a lot better on the Zeiss and it’s a little lighter and I like the 50mm over the 56mm.
The SHV have treated me well too but I wouldn’t buy another one unless it was the 5-20. The 4-14 sucks not having the zero set.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Z5 3.5-18 with the ballistic reticle and sent it back to have the turret added. It is by far my favorite scope for mountain hunting. Love the reticle for quick shots and the turret for when I have time to dial in. Nightforce is a great company, but I grew up with Swaro glass and they have never failed me.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had a z5 that I replaced with a 4-14 shv. Mine had a brh reticle and no turret. It was too much power for me especially being a reticle scope with an 18x zoom.

I want another night force, wouldn’t buy another z5