Sweating like a savage / insulation layering

I run hot.
I sweat when I'm hot.

The greatest insulation I've even know is wool of different grades. Including outerwear. It's great for camo to IMHO.

Wool is heavy and bulky, but brilliant, but heavy and bulky..

Fleece is very tough, but very poor for breathing - sweat = wet = bugger.

Micro puffy - work better than fleece for breathing, but still not as good as wool and they are vulnerable to damage.

Any recommendations for synthetic clothing that might help?
Including different brands for puffys, please.
Feedback on Sitka, Kryptek, Forloh ?

The key is Layering, much more so than brands.
When active and moving - less layers. Carry excess in a back pack.
When sitting and cool - add layers. Not more than you need, add only as needed.
Moisture wicking materials like wool, on the skin.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run hot.
I sweat when I'm hot.

The greatest insulation I've even know is wool of different grades. Including outerwear. It's great for camo to IMHO.

Wool is heavy and bulky, but brilliant, but heavy and bulky.. Have you tried the newer merino wool or merino synthetic blends?

Fleece is very tough, but very poor for breathing - sweat = wet = bugger. My experience is different but try grid fleece

Micro puffy - work better than fleece for breathing, but still not as good as wool and they are vulnerable to damage. Not sure what this is

Any recommendations for synthetic clothing that might help?
Including different brands for puffys, please.
Feedback on Sitka, Kryptek, Forloh ?
What climate are you in? Admittedly I’m spoiled being in a dry climate. Light layers, slow down, dressing too warm?, clothes with vents help.

OP
Anglo-American
The key is Layering, much more so than brands.
When active and moving - less layers. Carry excess in a back pack.
When sitting and cool - add layers. Not more than you need, add only as needed.
Moisture wicking materials like wool, on the skin.
I do that, just looking to see if there are other options, to.

OP
Anglo-American
What climate are you in? Admittedly I’m spoiled being in a dry climate. Light layers, slow down, dressing too warm?, clothes with vents help.
Wet climate.
I dress quite minimally, generally including up to and though the winter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I run very cold while stationary unless it's 80+.....until I'm moving, and then my furnace kicks on and straight into hyperdrive. When I'm hiking in for elk hunts even in the teens, all I'm wearing up top is my merino base and maybe a microfleece. Then I can throw something on when I slow down and have started to cool. But I find fleece to be very much like wool in regards to breathing.......that's one reason why I like it so much. I have a bunch of different weight fleece jackets or pullovers and microfleece which I really love for September hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you say puffy's, but puffy's aren't for moving- they are for stationary activities- glassing, sitting at camp, etc

if you need some warmth, but are moving- then you need to look at active insulation pieces- these are typically synthetic (Polartec Alpha would be my first choice) , not a lot of insulation (60-80g tops) and a very breathable shell

Sitka's Kelvin Active jacket, Patagonia's Nano Air, others also using Polartec Alpha

OP
Anglo-American
you say puffy's, but puffy's aren't for moving- they are for stationary activities- glassing, sitting at camp, etc

if you need some warmth, but are moving- then you need to look at active insulation pieces- these are typically synthetic (Polartec Alpha would be my first choice) , not a lot of insulation (60-80g tops) and a very breathable shell

Sitka's Kelvin Active jacket, Patagonia's Nano Air, others also using Polartec Alpha
I had the Pat micro puff vest.
I sold it last year with alot of other general hiking and climbing gear as we ready for a big move.
I'll not be buying Pat again tbh due to the companies political push.

I found it quite good, and as it was a full zip vest it worked in autumn and full winter for me when active.

OP
Anglo-American
For
I run very cold while stationary unless it's 80+.....until I'm moving, and then my furnace kicks on and straight into hyperdrive. When I'm hiking in for elk hunts even in the teens, all I'm wearing up top is my merino base and maybe a microfleece. Then I can throw something on when I slow down and have started to cool. But I find fleece to be very much like wool in regards to breathing.......that's one reason why I like it so much. I have a bunch of different weight fleece jackets or pullovers and microfleece which I really love for September hunting.
Forme fleece just turns me into a steam room.
Used alot, and the results are consistent.

It's fine if I'm not active.

WRM

WKR
Brynje base layer. Weight and type dependent on weather. The Norwegians know about staying warm and dry.

Buffalo overlayers. Weight and type dependent on weather. There's a reason this has been continuously produced since the 70s. It works.

Combo provides warmth with excellent moisture management. Top with whatever thin camo overlayer trips your trigger.

In extreme cold with sedentary periods, you will likely need an overlayer of some sort of insulation. I like things with Apex.

Or buy whatever new fangled invention you like.

WRM

WKR
That's cause insulation does not incorporate any form of moisture management. See Buffalo above, or continue to steep in your own juices.

OP
Anglo-American
If fleece turns me into a stream room, then I'm wearing too much insulation. If I'm moving, I'm sweating......so most any insulation will turn me into a steam room.
That's cause insulation does not incorporate any form of moisture management. See Buffalo above, or continue to steep in your own juices.
Appropriate gage wool will do this, to an extent.
Pulling it off and adding on one or two layers is what I do now. Sometimes leaving one on to long creates these issues. Cold if I take it off, to warm if I put it on, not quite getting the timing right.

I suppose the post was seeing if anyone had experience of any synthetic clothing being as flexible as wool, but lighter and smaller in size.. and tougher.

Hoping someone know of a fabric I didn't.

I'll be investigating all recommendations, WRM.
Thank you for the link.

WRM

WKR
Sure. PM me if you have any questions. I've been using those for years in varied environments. It was a revelation to use what works over what is pushed to us.

See

nordiclife.co.uk

Rhodri is super helpful.

OP
Anglo-American
Brynje base layer. Weight and type dependent on weather. The Norwegians know about staying warm and dry.

Buffalo overlayers. Weight and type dependent on weather. There's a reason this has been continuously produced since the 70s. It works.

Combo provides warmth with excellent moisture management. Top with whatever thin camo overlayer trips your trigger.

In extreme cold with sedentary periods, you will likely need an overlayer of some sort of insulation. I like things with Apex.

Or buy whatever new fangled invention you like.
I know of Buffalo.

They are known for three things:

Being tough as.
Being very warm.
Being very unbreathable. They do add alot of zip / vent options to help with the issue.

I'm in a wet climate. I think Norway is quite dry on the whole? Not sure, I could be full of it.

There are some military spec companies in the UK that also make gear that works for hunting but again alot of reviews come back with breathability issues.

I'm hoping the American brands might have something better to offer.
With Swazi outer layers being a solution after that.

I currently have a mix of synthetic and natural fibre for mid and outer layers but have been selling off the synth. It's lighter, and packs smaller but I just haven't liked the performance as much.

OP
Anglo-American
Sure. PM me if you have any questions. I've been using those for years in varied environments. It was a revelation to use what works over what is pushed to us.

See

nordiclife.co.uk

Rhodri is super helpful.
I will, thank you.

RCB

WKR
You say fleece doesn't breathe well, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect you're referring to synthetic (polyester) fleece (there is wool fleece too, of course - that's where the word comes from!). A thin fleece layer is very permeable to wind and moisture - I can put my mouth up to my synthetic fleece right now and blow right through it. Makes for a pretty good active layer when just a shirt isn't enough. Literally any cheap fleece will do.