Sweating like a savage / insulation layering

WRM

WKR
Buffalo is all I use--South Dakota to Florida. In NW Florida we get below freezing temps, often with very high relative humidity. It's all about the right weight. And, yes, you do have to vent at times--thus the reason they provide ample venting options. Read what Buffalo says on its site about WHY the system works. It is accurate. The materials used do what they say they will do. No fabric is 100% breathable (or really even close to it)--that would defy the laws of physics. Buffalo allows you to manage the water that is going to escape from your body in the form of sweat. Brynje helps that with its own theory of use (trapping air to warm you--which Sitka is pushing now with it's new Aerogel infused products). And, yes, I know that Buffalo says to wear "next to skin". Brynje is a modification I choose because it works for me, and it's still pretty darn close to next to skin.

bpietila

FNG
Wiggys fishnets base layer. I wear a light merino wool shirt next to my skin and the fishnet top over that.
I run hot.
I sweat when I'm hot.

The greatest insulation I've even know is wool of different grades. Including outerwear. It's great for camo to IMHO.

Wool is heavy and bulky, but brilliant, but heavy and bulky..

Fleece is very tough, but very poor for breathing - sweat = wet = bugger.

Micro puffy - work better than fleece for breathing, but still not as good as wool and they are vulnerable to damage.

Any recommendations for synthetic clothing that might help?
Including different brands for puffys, please.
Feedback on Sitka, Kryptek, Forloh ?
Wiggys fishnets base layer. I wear a light merino wool shirt next to my skin and the fishnet top over that. After that Layer as necessary depending on temperature and activity levels.

OP
Anglo-American
You say fleece doesn't breathe well, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect you're referring to synthetic (polyester) fleece (there is wool fleece too, of course). A thin fleece layer is very permeable to wind and moisture - I can put my mouth up to my fleece right now and blow right through it. Makes for a pretty good active layer when just a shirt isn't enough. Literally any cheap fleece will do.
My old man had a textile factory when I was a kid.
In the later years he made synthetic sports clothing for alot of companies, including fleece, micro fleece. All polartec.
When I refer to fleece I am referring to synthetic only yes.

Wind cuts though fleece, yes 100%, unless it's windstopper.
That doesn't mean I can breath in it though dude, when just hiking.
You might, I can't. Gift and a curse.

Last edited:
OP
Anglo-American
I'll look at it again, and email them.
Cheers dude.
Buffalo is all I use--South Dakota to Florida. In NW Florida we get below freezing temps, often with very high relative humidity. It's all about the right weight. And, yes, you do have to vent at times--thus the reason they provide ample venting options. Read what Buffalo says on its site about WHY the system works. It is accurate. The materials used do what they say they will do. No fabric is 100% breathable (or really even close to it)--that would defy the laws of physics. Buffalo allows you to manage the water that is going to escape from your body in the form of sweat. Brynje helps that with its own theory of use (trapping air to warm you--which Sitka is pushing now with it's new Aerogel infused products). And, yes, I know that Buffalo says to wear "next to skin". Brynje is a modification I choose because it works for me, and it's still pretty darn close to next to skin.

WRM

WKR
Wiggys is a "copy" of Brynje. The options provided by Brynje are much greater.

That said, Wiggys is readily available in AK.

WRM

WKR
And to be more accurate, Wiggys is a copy of what was used by Norwegian fisherman probably before there was a brand known as Brynje. Regardless, they have a lot of options Wiggys does not.

RCB

WKR
My old man had a textile factory when I was a kid.
In the later years he made synthetic sports clothing for alot of companies, including fleece, micro fleece. All polartec.
When I refer to fleece I am referring to synthetic only yes.

Wind cuts though fleece, yet 100%, unless it's windstopper.
That doesn't mean I can breath in it though dude, when just hiking.
You might, I can't. Gift and a curse.
I guess I don't understand how wind can cut through a layer 100% and yet not be considered breathable. I thought that's what breathable meant?

OP
Anglo-American
Buy once cry once.

I'm also looking at ventile cotton options for outer layers.

This is my drive for breathability.

If you don't know of the fabric read into it.
It all reads very interesting.

Tight weave, highly water resistant, when double layered water proof.
Highly breathable, strength of cotton.

Looks worth a punt, but that's a bit off topic.
Sort of.

OP
Anglo-American
I guess I don't understand how wind can cut through a layer 100% and yet not be considered breathable. I thought that's what breathable meant?
If there is no wind, or not enough to cut though.
I'm cold enough that I need an extra layer, but sweating like a beast in fleece and/or micro fleece than it's not working for me.

I don't know how else to describe it.

Tbh, its more my arms and hands that feel the cold than my torso/core. So that's why I'm looking to put a mid layer on in these situations.

WRM

WKR
Breathability, like most terms used to describe anything, is relative.

I too can not stand fleece products.

WRM

WKR
"Tbh, its more my arms and hands that feel the cold than my torso/core. So that's why I'm looking to put a mid layer on in these situations."

Interesting. Possible you suffer from poor circulation in the extremities. I do, but it is pronounced in my hands and feet, not so much my arms.

You could consider vapor barrier. RBH makes good stuff--including gauntlets/cuffs. There's a mental curve to using it though, I think. Really takes getting used to.

bpietila

FNG

That said, Wiggys is readily available in AK.
I had not heard of Brynje until reading this post. I have wiggys and they do an excellent job with sweat management and are extremely durable. They are not the most comfortable to wear, sizes are not great, and you can only get a top and a bottom.
From reading and looking at the products on the Brynje website it looks like they would accomplish the same things as wiggys perhaps with a better fit and possibly less durability. I do not have any Brynje base layers so I don’t have firsthand experience with them.

WRM

WKR
I've used the same sets of Brynje products for years. They are durable. Selection is great and, again, Rhodri at the site I listed is extremely helpful. I looked at Wiggys and rejected for the reasons you mentioned.

General rules of thumb: Higher humidity--go with poly options. Drier and colder, go with wool. Extreme cold--the duo layer.

These are a game changer for moisture management in an insulating layer. It works by warming trapped air. I stay way more comfortable in these than any solid layer I have ever tried.

OP
Anglo-American
"Tbh, its more my arms and hands that feel the cold than my torso/core. So that's why I'm looking to put a mid layer on in these situations."

Interesting. Possible you suffer from poor circulation in the extremities. I do, but it is pronounced in my hands and feet, not so much my arms.

You could consider vapor barrier. RBH makes good stuff--including gauntlets/cuffs. There's a mental curve to using it though, I think. Really takes getting used to.
Possibly.

My core does stay hot though.
I can steam in the snow quite easily.
I generally wear less clothing than most for the weather conditions to.

WRM

WKR
Possible that vapor barrier for extremities would be an answer. I'd try some Brynje first though.

Or maybe some "runner sleeves" over the Brynje.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
Possible that vapor barrier for extremities would be an answer. I'd try some Brynje first though.

Or maybe some "runner sleeves" over the Brynje.

What layers are you wearing on top of the Brynje when hiking? And how do you feel like the fishnets differ from normal merino wool base layers?

Mcnasty

FNG
So much of this is conditions dependent but here my 2Cents. For me venting is the key. I go with a wool t shirt, then thin wool or synthetic base layer with a deep chest zip. I can always ditch one or the other depending on conditions. I like a hood on my base or mid layer most of the time and always have a Bennie in my pocket. Bennie and or hood on or off can regulate your temp quickly and can be done without stopping. Vented pants have also been great for me to dump heat when moving and don't have to stop to adjust temp then quickly zip it all up as soon as you slow down to retain the heat. I like vents on the hip vs the crotch because every pair of pants already has a crotch vent. Half my A hanging out the window can get chilly right quick. Fleece or synthetic mid layer must have pit zips for me same for my rain shell and pants. If I have rough walk into a spot sometime I carry an additional base layer and just swap it after I have sweat out on the approach. My system is about regulating temperature without having to stop moving which makes it harder to regulate. When I stop I roll up the windows maybe throw on a dry layer, add a hat and puff depending.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This past season I got to use a Sitka Active hoody. This piece breathes very well, much in part due to using Alpha Direct and NO other interior fabric. The outer fabric is very breathable. This piece due to the lack of sleeves is pretty much confined to early season use. If I’m expecting anything approaching 20 degrees or cooler, something else will get the nod. But that covers a pretty big chunk of a calendar.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@bpietila
@WRM
@gilby

I’m going to start a thread on netted base layers. I have been using them for a couple of years, they work. Maybe a discussion will help those who don’t know.