Sweaty feet!

Veezer

FNG
I have always had issues with my feet sweating while hiking. So, when I am out hunting, my socks get damp and that leads to cold feet and especially hot spots/blisters, especially on the balls of my feet and bottom of my big toe. I normally wear an all leather boot (Asolo 520 GTX for warmer weather or a goretex lined taller insulated boot for colder temps). Normally, I can make it about 2 days of walking about 4 miles a day before I pretty much am crippled by blisters. I have tried changing out socks and taking my boots off and letting them air out while I am sitting and I always seem to have the same issues.

I have tried a few different socks, but haven't found one that really makes a difference yet. All the boots I have worn had different footbeds (superfeet in my Asolo's), but it doesnt seem to make a difference either.

My question, is for those of you that have similar issues, what works for you or what do you suggest I try?

Last edited:
OP
V

Veezer

FNG
Havent used the 100% wool yet, but was thinking about giving that a try. I had a pair of smartwool years ago and remember them being kind of bulky/thick but surely they make a thinner sock now. Any brands you like better?

My feet sweat a lot too. I am having good success wearing a smartwool merino sock liner with first lite mountain athlete triad socks. The liner does a good job reducing friction.
Some other suggestions would be to get some mole skin on your toes before they blister, get some inserts that fill your boots up more, or try wearing smaller boots help keep your foot locked in place.

My feet sweat all of the time as well. I actually rub antiperspirant on my feet. Coupled with quality socks, it's a lot better. A couple of years ago, I still got a nasty hot spot on the side of my big toe, but I think that was due to the amount of side-hilling we were doing.

I would take a long hard look at your boots. I suspect there's something with the fit of the brand of boot you've been wearing and that's a bigger problem, more than the sweat in your socks.

rm06

WKR
Foot perspiration can be a killer. My feet sweat seemingly no matter what the temperature and can lead to chilly toes and blisters, neither of which are fun though blisters can ruin a hunt. I have had zero success with various socks as the answer, they just can't absorb enough of the the moisture and don't address the root of the problem. Recently I've been using Dove for Men antiperspirant spray though I haven't been able to find the scent free for anything approaching a reasonable price (Amazon) and it needs to be applied daily.

I've tried the Kleinert's with moderate success though the application method can be a bit of a PITA and you need to be committed to it. There are various other antiperspirants specifically for feet but these are what I've tried. For me personally, I use one or both of the above and as heel blisters have always been the bane of my hunting existence, I also apply a strip of Leukotape vertically on each heel.

Good luck, let us know what you find

GKPrice

Banned
100% WOOL socks - carry TWO changes a day if you need to - ANTI-PERSPIRANT !! (not deodorant) Mitchum used to be effective, there are lots of brands nowadays - My son has a terrible sweating problem, always has - He is in "scrubs" most days in the OR and there it's a real problem so for the past several years he's been getting injections and it has cured it (I disagree with it for health reasons but sometimes a man's "gotta do what he's gotta do") Now, the thought of getting injections anywhere near my feet makes my toenails curl BUT (you know the saying) AND we are talking hunting here !!

jdmaxwell

WKR
Wear liner sock and then another pair to prevent blisters..
Sprinkle monkey butt powder in your socks and in your boots.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I had problems with blisters from my feet sweating after a mile or two. I am now using cool max liner socks under merino socks and haven't had a problem since. I'm still going to use leukotape as extra insurance on my hunt, but haven't had any blisters without it since using the liner socks.

tttoadman

WKR
I used to break down in the same manner as you. I was a cheap ass, and wanted a single pair of boots for everything, so i had 400 insulated boots that I wore even in early october. This has cured all of my problems.
1. Stiff boots with the heel locks(Lowa Tibets, Lowa Extreme Hunter, Sportiva Nepals)

2. Merino liner socks and a a top merino sock to suit the conditions.

3. I walk flat footed(don't stride). All that does is rub the bottom of your foot in the boot. Pick your foot up and put it back down. I average about 2 miles per hr in the woods when I am hiking or packing. It isn't a race all the time. I avoid excessive sweating and stinking. Try to do most of your heavy packing or long hiking at night when it is cooler.

4. Take your boots off and let your feet breathe while eating a snack in the middle of the day.

5. Start everyday as good as possible. I take the footbeds out of my boots every night so they dry out as much as possible.

6. Pretape if needed. I think I will start pretaping with the Extremes and the Nepals. The tibets I can go all day no problem.

OP
V

Veezer

FNG
Thanks guys. I think I will try the liner sock and merino combo. Ill also experiment a little with the anti perspirant. I also heard of the leukotape for the first time and will give it a try. Moleskin never has worked well because it just rubbed off and went on its merry way to a random spot inside my sock.

Jimbo V

WKR
First wool socks, Second see your doctor they can prescribe "Drysol" rolls on like deodorant and lasts about a week (for me) after I apply. It specifically designed to shut down the sweat glands, No sweating at all as long as you apply it when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent used the 100% wool yet, but was thinking about giving that a try. I had a pair of smartwool years ago and remember them being kind of bulky/thick but surely they make a thinner sock now. Any brands you like better?

Forget the rest,buy the best darn tough

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't even think about going out without liner socks and then merino boot socks. Wicks the sweat to the merino sock and keeps the blisters away as well. Started with this method about 40 years ago with basketball, except I didn't wear merino back then.

Try non goretex boots. As good as it is it ain't that good. Good socks - darn tough, therlo and change them every few hours. Rotate a pair on your feet and a pair tied to your pack.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for antiperspirant. I started doing that about a year ago after I heard about it on one of the podcasts (hunt backcountry if I remember right). My feet sweat freakishly bad. I mean like my wife makes me take my shoes off outside kind of bad, and I haven't had any trouble since I started using antiperspirant. I just rub it all over them.

Here's a few things I've learned through the military and wearing boots in the mountains for years:
1 - If you dont need the goretex, dont bother with it. Most guys in my unit prefer jungles (no lining) for everything but the coldest and wettest environments since they breath and dry quickly. Depending on how beefy a boot you need, you might be able to get away without the waterproofing (although, most sturdy mountain boots all have it).
2 - Powder! I give the dogs a light dusting before my boots go on, and after I take them off. Helps keep them dry and cool
3 - Body Glide or antiperspirant. Great for preventing blisters
4 - Tincture of benzoin. Look it up....apply it to potential problem areas in the weeks leading up to your adventures. It will help toughen up those areas so they aren't so soft and susceptible to blisters.
5 - Follow everything tttoadman said above. Let the socks, insoles, boots dry anytime you have a chance. Carry a spare pair of socks to change into and dont be afraid to hang the wet ones off your pack to dry while you're wearing the newer pair.

Good luck! Sore feet are no joke but I've been able to build up pretty tough feet by doing everything above.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
+1 to the Darn Tough wool socks, roll on Certain Dri anti-perspirant & letting boots/insoles/socks air out