Sweet Looking Boot! Elk Look Out!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I know what you mean sir! I too thought they might be soft in the top so I tried a pair on & was surprised at its support, it's one thing that strengthened my decision to give them a shot given my weaker left ankle under a load.

I tried them on at Sportsman's in Boise ID so hopefully they have them at your store as well. For the record it was the quilt colored one I tried on not the black tactical one. Take note of the rubber traction & softness for gripping purposes, it's pretty darned good! Let me know your thoughts once trying them on, thanks again!

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I know what you mean sir! I too thought they might be soft in the top so I tried a pair on & was surprised at its support, it's one thing that strengthened my decision to give them a shot given my weaker left ankle under a load.

I tried them on at Sportsman's in Boise ID so hopefully they have them at your store as well. For the record it was the quilt colored one I tried on not the black tactical one. Take note of the rubber traction & softness for gripping purposes, it's pretty darned good! Let me know your thoughts once trying them on, thanks again!

ElkNut/Paul
Paul, I checked them out at sportsman's in Colorado springs, and I gotta say I'm super impressed! Nothing like the review I watched (which I think you're right. They were the tactical ones) I was extremely surprised by how stiff they were. The store here only had size 11's (I'm a 10/10.5 depending on the company) but were still comfortable and seemed very grippy. The overall stiffness of the boot was the most surprising part. I change my opinion on them. They seem like a very solid boot! I'd be very interested in hearing a review from you on them for sure. I've never used salomons but I think they would rival the quest 4Ds for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I had bad luck with a pair of UA boots several years ago. They fell apart in about a year and a half. I think if I saw a pair on the clearance rack or in the UA outlets, they'd be the bomb, but for full retail of $250, I'd imagine they are not the best value out there..

Elkhntr08

WKR
I don’t know, believe I’ll stick with my Kenetreks. Bad ankles and narrow feet is a bad combination. Have to have the support. Hunted Colorado 5 years ago with what I thought was a twisted ankle, but turned out there was a broken bone. The Kenetreks got me through the season.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say it's a revelation by any means, but it seems sturdier then prior UA boots. I don't and will never support UA and will stick to zamberlan and danner, but I will say for being UA it's impressive that they put out a "boot" that's not a sock with a rubber sole stuck to it for once.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! I went scouring the big Sporting Goods stores & so far haven't found another stiff shanked lightweight 10" boot like the U/A Infil Ops. I'm still looking but so far that one tops the list!

Quent, glad you felt they were a fairly sturdy boot, that's how they felt on my feet as well!

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I was watching solo hunter today and saw Tim Burnett wearing them in some high country. The infils are reasonably priced. Sucks they're UA or I'd give em a go lol

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I hear ya sir! Stick with your beliefs, nothing wrong with that! I guess I'm lucky that I don't allow things to bother me if it's what I'm really interested in.

They're much lighter than my Kenetreks & Crispis which have been my favorites so they have my serious attention.

Elkhuntr08, lots of truth there my friend! My Kenetreks have pulled my ankles through some tough stuff. These days I'm hunting super steep & thick stuff & so was looking into those New U/A Boots! 10 oz lighter per boot is pretty substantial to me especially as I approach 64 in two months! I am a workout nut but wouldn't shy away from shaving some weight off my feet! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone test drive the New U/A Infil Ops 10" boot? I looked at them the other day, tried them on & they felt great, super light weight with a stiffer toe box for some serious terrain if needed. The grippers on the bottom will be awesome! I believe they will replace my Kenetreks & Crispis. Can't wait to own a pair!

ElkNut/Paul
I hope they work for you, but I lump the UA footwear into the same pile as Salomons. I've had poor results from previous UA boots, I doubt I'll ever try another pair from them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
Hmmm, looks lightweight alright. Wonder how well they'll do after a few seasons of sharp rocks, side hills, kicking in a landing to butcher and a few nights of ballroom dancing?

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m ditching my kenetreks in favor of a pair of Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX trail shoes. (I’ve never had ankle issues). Used them last year and wow what a difference. So much lighter and quieter than those clunky boots. And the super stiff sole just doesn’t work for me, gives me blisters on the backs of my heals as soon as I start climbing.

If I was worried about an ankle these would be on my short list too, Paul.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate them! I'll be plenty happy to get one & half to two years out of them, that's about all I'm hoping for, the country I hunt beats up everything! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

bncrshr77

FNG
I've Been wearing the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme for about a month now and they are super comfortable but just too much boot for me... It could be a self induced mental game for me but they also lift my foot off the ground too much and no matter how "stiff" the leather is my ankles tend to try and roll due to the added height and slightly narrower sole.

I've been using the Danner High Grounds for the past 3 yrs In CO with great results prior to trying the Kennetreks.

I'm against UA as well but couldn't resist trying the infil ops on and after stewing over it I ordered some from Amazon. So far the boots are great but I haven't really done any strenuous hikes in them. They keep me low to the ground and have a nice wide sole with great traction which is what works for me. Washing my truck yesterday my feet stayed dry so they already beat out my Salomons!

Will try and update this in the next few weeks after getting some harder miles on them.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank you! I appreciate the review! I will be picking a pair up soon, I know they will do well for my elk hunting style!

Did you pickup the Tactical (Black) or the other? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

prm

WKR
Couesbitten, did you ever get to try the Salomon x-alps? I’m one who is a huge fan of the Salomon Quest 4Ds. I run Superfeet insoles in them which is more supportive. I’m looking for something a little warmer, yet still breathes reasonably well. My feet sweat, and damp feet are cold on the colder hunts. Even CO 1st rifle has had some genuinely cold weather. I wore my Crispi Guides for that, but they don’t work quite as well for me. I’ve since added Superfeet to them as well and they are better, but still don’t breathe very well.

I took a pair of their 8" hikers up and down mt. Elbert and all over colorado. This was about 2012-2013 and I still have them. Ive been pleased with UA boots. Wish i knew what model those were.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Paul, have you looked at the crispi lapponia? I’ve been running them for a few years now and they are light and hold up to whatever I’ve thrown at them.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! I hear ya about using them on a Sheep hunt, not sure I would either until I had a few miles on them. I'm mainly wanting them for my archery elk hunts, thanks!

I just looked those Crispis over, they look pretty good for an 8" boot. I've run Crispi boots off & on for around 8-9 years now so am familiar with them. I'll take a close look at the lapponia's, thanks! I like the light weight part about them!

ElkNut/Paul

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Paul, have you looked at the crispi lapponia? I’ve been running them for a few years now and they are light and hold up to whatever I’ve thrown at them.

The laponias are an on boot but would be my last pick of the crispi line up if hauling weight was part of the plan. They are t much different than an approach shoe that’s a few inches taller than a low top.