Sweet Looking Boot! Elk Look Out!

ElkNut1

WKR
Anyone test drive the New U/A Infil Ops 10" boot? I looked at them the other day, tried them on & they felt great, super light weight with a stiffer toe box for some serious terrain if needed. The grippers on the bottom will be awesome! I believe they will replace my Kenetreks & Crispis. Can't wait to own a pair!

ElkNut/Paul

slowelk

WKR
It seems UA has improved their footwear since I last owned a pair in 2013, but I can't imagine a boot from them comparing to something as notably sturdy and long-lived as Kenetrek and Crispi.

What makes you think this boot would replace either of the others?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I hunt a lot of steep rough country so need a fairly stiff toe boot but also want enough flexibility in the boot to move & conform to objects as well as stick to wet surfaces like rocks when crossing creeks & smaller streams. The tread on these appears it will do these things well & shave off nearly 10 oz. off my lightest boot which is the Kenetrek 10" Extreme. I also have the 11" Crispi HTG GTX boots, Lowa GTX 10" boots, Lowa Renegade 7"-8", Kenetrek hardscrabble 8", Asolo 8", & a couple other less named boots.

After trying on these U/A Ifil Ops 10" & walking around in them I could tell they had the needed support for rugged elk hunts as well as meat carrying capabilities in steep sidehill country. I will definitely be owning these & wearing them for my archery elk Sept. hunts. I've tried the Salomon 4D boots & they're too soft in the toe & more tennis shoe like for my taste & use, these U/A ones are much more like a boot minus all the weight, I'm excited!

ElkNut/Paul

Hey Paul, I noticed that the specs on the UA boots listed them at 19.1 oz, I'm assuming that is per boot. I'll be receiving a pair of Salomon X Alp Mid LTR GTX boots tomorrow, which are supposed to be very similar to the 4D boot, but more rigid, like a mountaineering boot and still pretty light at a listed 570 grams (20.1 oz). I'm anxious to get them and try them out.

Reactions: prm
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Sounds like you have a very nice boot coming in the Salomon X Alp Mid LTR GTX. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them when they arrive!

When elk hunting I generally will not hunt with a boot that isn't a minimum 9" tall, 10" or more is better for myself since I broke my left ankle nearly 15 years ago. It plays havoc with me on steep sidehills with just a standard pack, when quarters are added my ankle really feels the pressure. I need the taller support for my ankle. The Kenetrek & Crispi's have been awesome for these ventures no matter distance, terrain or type of country but if I can receive similar support from a lighter but still stiff enough boot heck I'm all for it! (grin)

My Kenetreks weigh 30oz apiece-- I'm a size 8. These U/A boots are like you say in the 19-20 oz range for my size at 10" height. When I tried them on I was impressed right off the get go, Sept elk hunts will be the real test for sure but they felt solid enough to go for them. I have 3-4 different elk hunts for this year so they will be tested! Let me know about your boots, thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
hmmm think I will stay with a boot company that supports us !!
Under Armour Dumps Hunters, Hunters Returning The Favor - The ...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/.../armour-dumps-hunters-hunters-returning-favo...

1. Cached
Aug 20, 2016 - Under Armour cowards fold under anti-hunting pressure. Under .... Doesn't matter if these stores carry UA products or not, just don't buy them. ... Trophy hunters are despicable people with small brains and small genitalia.
Under Armour Stock Drops Following Rejection of Hunters ...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/armour-rejects-hunters-immediately-tanks/

1. Cached
Feb 2, 2017 - Under Armour's betrayal of hunters isn't the only cause of the ... Since then, the sports apparel company has struggled to maintain sales. ... Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Ahh, bummer if discontinued, I'd like to have seen them especially if close to the 10" height. You must have gotten one of the last pairs? Any photos? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Lawnboi

WKR
I can’t comment on that exact boot but Iv used under armor duty boots. They are light and comfy at first but fall apart quick, really quick

I personally wouldn’t put any stock into a UA boot again

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks, I had the Speedfreaks & lasted about 3 years with nearly everyday use accept for hunting, they were ok.

I have a good friend that loves Salomon's 4D GTX I believe, he goes through a pair a year. A lot depends on use & how heavy you are, us lighter guys don't seem to be nearly as hard on our gear.

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
It is indeed an interesting looking boot. I refuse to support UA but I would be interested in hearing a review about them in the future if you get them. I have a friend that hunts all over the west and rocks UA boots, but from my understanding he doesn't hunt high and rockier elevations as that's where I find most of my elk, so I don't think puts his UA boots through as much hell as I do. They appear to be similar to Oakley and Nike boots (the military boots). Keep us informed on these elknut, as I'm pretty intrigued about how these boots hold up in rougher terrain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! I sure hope they hold up or I'll be taking them back! (grin)

Does anyone know of a comparable lightweight 10" boot that is not tennis shoe like, it needs a bit of stiffness to negotiate rougher terrain? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! I sure hope they hold up or I'll be taking them back! (grin)

Does anyone know of a comparable lightweight 10" boot that is not tennis shoe like, it needs a bit of stiffness to negotiate rougher terrain? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul
Only thing I can think of are asolo. They have a few boots that are stiff and light due to the lack of leather. Salomon makes some light weight boots. Nothing I can name though.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
No problem, thanks for looking into it!

I watched a couple of youtube vids on the U/A Infils & man they look awesome, I just may pull the trigger on them!

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I just watched a video on the UA infils... doesn't seem like much of boot... especially in high country. Don't be to zealous testing suckers out, man!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Ha Ha. Really, they looked pretty good to me! I'm sure I watched the same vid & they look like they'd be between a Salomon & a Kenetrek boot in 10" high. They have a lot stiffer sole/shank over the Salomon but not the Kenetreks.

What did you see that I may be over looking that says otherwise? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

quent

Lil-Rokslider
The sole seems solid honestly. It's just the upper. That neoprene like material, to me, looks like it wouldn't provide much support for ankles. I saw the boot guys review (for reference) I'm going to swing by sportmans and see if they have them to check out. They might be a solid boot but they look like a pair of nikes lol