Sweet potato breakfast

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I experimented this week with dehydrating a side dish we make at times: Baked sweet potato and peanut butter (rather than butter, it has fat and protein and tastes great in our mind).

I just rehydrated it this morning and ate it for breakfast, it came out well. It'll be in my pack for hot breakfast usage and also works well if another hot snack is needed at some point. If one wants more fat they can add in some pecan pieces or such for crunch, if you want more protein you can add in some neutral flavored protein powder for minimal flavor change (I tried it on the second half this mornings breakfast).

Anyways I baked the potatoes for 90min on 400deg which makes them gooey soft. I opted to skip the skin for simplicity (we eat them when at home) and put all the insides in a bowl and mashed up consistently with a fork. Spread it out thinly on a fruit leather tray in the dehydrator and dried past fruit leather stage till it has a tendency to crack when bent. Ripped/broke up the pieces for packaging. Rehydrated at 1:1

This is 1cup dried potato and packet of almond butter. I opted to use a packet just to keep each meal individual versus bringing in a larger container of nut butter. I might lean towards 1.5c of potato and/or adding pecans to go for a bigger breakfast. The 1c below plus almond butter I think is ~400cal

Packaged in a vacuum bag which are better suited for boiling water. Added boiling water 1:1 to the potato and let it sit 20min with the lid folded shut. Stirred in the nut butter and ate straight from the bag.

39F2E5E0-3031-4DAB-A93E-4E9A7DB61598_zpsducyelns.jpg

0AAF5FD8-6CCB-499A-B7DD-FAD4FD80FA71_zpszssen45n.jpg

11BB25DC-C8B1-40E2-A94B-C8075BC3CD23_zpscya8woxr.jpg

Good thinking on bringing this to the backcountry. I'd suggest adding cinnamon for sure, and some marshmallows help too ;)

sweet potato and peanut butter? Wow I am ashamed to say I have never had this before.

Try a sweet potato with hummus, cherry tomatoes, parsley, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. SO GOOD.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It was something we came across in the last year and I must say its dang tasty.

I can imagine that combo would be quite good as well. Honestly we hardly eat regular potatoes anymore (they taste bland and starchy now), pretty much all sweet potatoes.

jwatts

WKR
I will have to pick some sweet potatoes up and give this a shot. I wonder how it would taste using a powdered peanut butter like PB2? That would cut down on a little weight and bulk by leaving the peanut butter packet at home.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Powdered peanut butter has most of the oil (IE fat) removed right? I personal want the fat content from whatever nut butter is being used.

jwatts

WKR
Powdered peanut butter has most of the oil (IE fat) removed right? I personal want the fat content from whatever nut butter is being used.

Yeah, you're right. If you are wanting the fat content from the peanut butter you won't get it from the powdered stuff. I just looked in the pantry and compared some PB2 to some Justin's peanut butter packets. The PB2 is only 45 calories per serving vs 190 calories with the peanut butter packet. That's a big enough difference to justify carrying the butter packet.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, you're right. If you are wanting the fat content from the peanut butter you won't get it from the powdered stuff. I just looked in the pantry and compared some PB2 to some Justin's peanut butter packets. The PB2 is only 45 calories per serving vs 190 calories with the peanut butter packet. That's a big enough difference to justify carrying the butter packet.

Yep. I'm thinking my trail version will be 1.5c dried potato, 1 packet nut butter, and 1/4c pecan pieces. I think that will be ~700cal which would be a nice fuel load to start out the day since I just snack through the day w/o an official lunch.