Sweet spot for 300 prc weight.....?

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
For all you 300 prc owners out there, what do you think the sweet spot is for total weight (scope, rings and brake) on the 300 prc? I see quite a few lightweight options (seekins element, fierce ct's, browning mountain titanium) but one would think that the recoil would be magnified by the low weight. So, that got me thinking about what guys think is the ideal weight for a 300 prc for a hunting application.

Yes, I know that there will be a ton of opinions, that's what I want to see. I am going to be buying one here in the next couple months and it seems like every week I change my mind. I am pretty set on the caliber, just not which rifle to buy. Want to purchase something factory/semi-custom and if I can tinker a littler bit, even better.

Have at it.....

CCooper

WKR
Agree with both the posts above, shoot for 7 pounds on the rifle, add optic, rings, base and a loaded mag will get me in the sub 10lb range. The last couple I have put together came in around 9.75# all in and are about perfect IMO. A good muzzle brake will tame a 300PRC nicely.

ChrisAU

WKR
My Howa was around 8 lbs scoped and it was bearable for hunting, but not pleasant on the bench. The Christensen I have now is somewhere around 14-15 lbs and it is much better on the bench lol

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I think 9-10lbs is the sweet spot. My Seekins PH2 comes in right at that and I think it's a good combo of packable, easy on the shoulder, but yet still heavy enough to reduce recoil enough to spot some longer shots.

snipe10

FNG
Never been worried about the weight of my rifles. Not saying take a 15lb AI out but anything around 10lbs seems fine. Couldn't even tell you what my hunting rifles, any of them, weigh. Cracks me up when someone says they need to get a rifle that weighs a pound or two less than what they have. I always tell them to just lose five pounds. With all that said, both of my 300PRC's weigh between 9.5 and 10.5 pounds, just weighed them!

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I think 9-10lbs is the sweet spot. My Seekins PH2 comes in right at that and I think it's a good combo of packable, easy on the shoulder, but yet still heavy enough to reduce recoil enough to spot some longer shots.
Tell me about your Seekins. Likes/dislikes? A member on here suggested Seekins PH2 for an all around hunting target shooter in a 300 PRC. Are they easy to reload for? Sorry dont mean to hijack...

slowelk

WKR
Tell me about your Seekins. Likes/dislikes? A member on here suggested Seekins PH2 for an all around hunting target shooter in a 300 PRC. Are they easy to reload for? Sorry dont mean to hijack...

Use the search