SWFA 3-9 or 6X for Hunting in the Timber??

BCD

WKR
Hi All-

I'm curious which of these two have a bolder reticle for low light or close range in the timber? I have the 3-9 and the 3-15 but have never looked through the 6x.

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

ChrisAU

WKR
I have not found the 3-9 to be a hindrance at 3x hunting in thick woods, however here's a tip for it - I walk around with it on 4x. Because of the tunneling at 3x, the FOV is the same at 3x and 4x. Makes the reticle a bit more visible. Per SWFA the Mil-Quad reticle in both the fixed 6x and the 3-9x are 0.4 mils thick, so with the 3-9x on 6x it would be the exact same thickness as the fixed 6x.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I have not found the 3-9 to be a hindrance at 3x hunting in thick woods, however here's a tip for it - I walk around with it on 4x. Because of the tunneling at 3x, the FOV is the same at 3x and 4x. Makes the reticle a bit more visible. Per SWFA the Mil-Quad reticle in both the fixed 6x and the 3-9x are 0.4 mils thick, so with the 3-9x on 6x it would be the exact same thickness as the fixed 6x.

This is excellent info and exactly what I was looking for. I recently bought the 3-15 and the reticle is much more faint than the 3-9 at lower power. I may sell the 3-15 and get another 3-9.

Thank you for the info!!!

ChrisAU

WKR
This is excellent info and exactly what I was looking for. I recently bought the 3-15 and the reticle is much more faint than the 3-9 at lower power. I may sell the 3-15 and get another 3-9.

No problem, and yes indeed the reticle on the 3-15 is only 75% as thick as the 3-9 and 6x as it is 0.3 mils thick.

Reactions: BCD

brsnow

WKR
I picked up a sample list 3-9 recently, it has the older mil-dot reticle. Initially I was disappointed as I like the mil-quad, but comparing them I actually prefer the mil-dot for hunting. I will use both, but if you come across the mil-dot, worth a look.

ChrisAU

WKR

After looking at it again I need to correct some bad info from my earlier post, not sure how I mixed things up earlier, but here is the correct info:

Thin Lines on 3-9x42 - 0.07 Mils Thick
6x42: 0.07 Mils
10x42: 0.05 Mils
3-15x42: 0.035 Mils
5-20x50: 0.05 Mils

So, actually the 3-9x42 reticle is twice as thick, so even better ha.

Reactions: BCD
Hi All-

I'm curious which of these two have a bolder reticle for low light or close range in the timber? I have the 3-9 and the 3-15 but have never looked through the 6x.

Thanks in advance for your responses!!
A 3-9 MQ FFP reticle gets heavier as you increase magnification but should be near same at 6X as 6X fixed. [The 6x fixed reticle is perfect, btw.] If you want to see for sure I have a N-I-B SS 6X MQ that I'll sell for not less than $260. It's a dollar more than what I paid but I'll cover shipping to WI. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
My x15 had very difficult to see reticle diamonds. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I do like the fixed and 3x9.....A LOT MORE.

prm

WKR
I’ve hunted the dark timber with both. I find the 3-9 superior on all accounts (Except $).

Wrench

WKR
The x15 really needs to be illuminated to even be able to be used in busy backgrounds or poor light.

ChrisAU

WKR
Taking “timber hunting” out of the equation, 3-9 still win? I was about to buy a x15 but am triple guessing myself and my max range will be around 600yds

IMO yes. I took the bull in my avatar at close to 400 yards and a few whitetail around 300 and 9x hasn’t limited me. I’d say over 500 I’d want more x’s though.

Wrench

WKR
Taking “timber hunting” out of the equation, 3-9 still win? I was about to buy a x15 but am triple guessing myself and my max range will be around 600yds
I take my 3x9 to twice that. It is better for everything except uber precise work.....and neither are really great at that.

If you're a guy who wants to hit cantaloupe sized targets at 800 yards....the 3x9 will work well. If you need to try to shoot the sticker, neither will do.

IMO when the goal exceeds the level of the 3x9 it's time to step up to the LRHS. THAT scope will take you well into the 4 digits and leave the swfa in the dust for just a little more money.