SWFA 5-20 or NX8 4-32 for .300 WM hunting rifle...

rob86jeep

WKR
I know these scopes may be in a different class, but these are the two I'm currently contemplating on for my new .300 WM hunting rifle. It's a hunting gun so weight is a factor but I'm more concerned with zero retention/tracking over ounces. I'm looking for a FFP scope with good zero retention/tracking and least 15x on the high end. I kind of prefer the SWFA reticle over the Nightforce due to it being more simplistic. Is there a benefit to spending twice as much on a Nightforce instead of the SWFA given my wants/preferences? Also, is there any other scope I should consider besides these two?

IMNSHO, Nightforce will hold up to more abuse. Both however, will serve you well. There are plenty of very positive reviews of both. Nightforce does offer several reticles, and one very similar to SWFA.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 4-32 NF on my 300wm, I like it. Like you I wanted something that I knew was going to hold zero and reliably track. And it hasn’t let me down yet. Eye box is on the tight side I guess but everything else is nice. Some people don’t like the parallax being kinda sensitive but it makes it fast to focus for those longer shots and it really doesn’t bother me like I thought it might. Really don’t have much to complain about with that scope.

260madman

WKR
I was in on the group buy when the 5-20 was released. Haven’t sold it. It’s on a 20” 308 varmint contour. It’s a nice scope but it has been surpassed technology wise. The glass is pretty nice and they track and hold zero well.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I may just end up getting an SWFA 3-15 or throwing an older Viper 4-16 i have until I can make a decision. I'm just don't want to end up buying a 1500-2k scope and not being 100% satisfied I made the right choice. Thanks for advice/answers so far.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
The nx8s are good scopes. I don’t have any problems whatsoever with the eye box, in fact I find it more forgiving than my old vortex razor LH 3-15x42 . Yes, on the highest power it’s a little finicky but nothing bad. Glass is really good. Only problem I have with it is it has the same FOV on 4 as it does 5.5 power. The only negative reviews I’ve really found on the scope appear to be coming from people that don’t actually own one. People have a RIGHT to their OWN opinion though and am not condemning you if you don’t like the scope but for the most part the people who actually have them for the most part love the scope from what I’ve found. The parallax being finicky is only an issue with me at longer distances. I can’t ever see myself using the full 32 power in a hunting situation besides target identification. The FOV thing could be a big deal for some people and that is the only fault I can find. Other than that but with full confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know these scopes may be in a different class, but these are the two I'm currently contemplating on for my new .300 WM hunting rifle. It's a hunting gun so weight is a factor but I'm more concerned with zero retention/tracking over ounces. I'm looking for a FFP scope with good zero retention/tracking and least 15x on the high end. I kind of prefer the SWFA reticle over the Nightforce due to it being more simplistic. Is there a benefit to spending twice as much on a Nightforce instead of the SWFA given my wants/preferences? Also, is there any other scope I should consider besides these two?
I owned an NX8 4-32 and it was a real disappointment.
The eye box was terrible, the parallax was a pain to get adjusted correctly, and the glass was really lacking for a $2000 scope.
I compared it extensively to my mk5 5-25, and there was no way I could say it was anywhere near as easy to get behind.