SWFA business model?

I went ahead and backordered another 3-9. I thought about adding a third but really don't wanna get hit with a $2k credit card bill out of the blue when I'm also buying a new tractor this fall. So that's two total. One from January 30th and one now.

Fingers crossed that they ship before Fall.

I don’t think the rokslide classifieds are an accurate gauge on the popularity of a scope brand that 95% of hunters have never heard of.
I was thinking the same about this scope reading this thread. I have never met anyone in person that ever mentioned SWFA and when I have mentioned I have one no one I told has ever heard of them.

I was thinking the same about this scope reading this thread. I have never met anyone in person that ever mentioned SWFA and when I have mentioned I have one no one I told has ever heard of them.
I’ve never seen one in the wild, and every single person who’s seen mine has asked what it was. Companies like Vortex and NF are probably selling as many scopes in a month as SWFA did in a year.

MattB

WKR
Likely a touch more accurate than a random guys opinion.
Is it my opinion that there is no direct competitor in the market for SWFA? Formidilosus made that statement. That, in combination with the efficiency of capital in finding market opportunities, should tell us all we need to know.

On a more positive note, I learned my house may be worth $4.4 million dollars.

MattB

WKR
I’ve never seen one in the wild, and every single person who’s seen mine has asked what it was. Companies like Vortex and NF are probably selling as many scopes in a month as SWFA did in a year.
Yup, and I would bet Vortex sells more scopes in a week (or maybe even in days) than SFWA sells in a year.

To your point, there is a myopia that can result from spending a lot of time in certain hunting websites which are affected by a small number of influential people, and I believe SWFA benefits from that on Rokslide (not saying that is bad thing, IMO quite the contrary). Another example is Kifaru. Both are household names here, but if a Rokslider was to take a representative sample of licensed hunters across the US I think they would be really surprised at how high a percentage had never heard of either brand.

CorbLand

WKR
Is it my opinion that there is no direct competitor in the market for SWFA? Formidilosus made that statement. That, in combination with the efficiency of capital in finding market opportunities, should tell us all we need to know.

On a more positive note, I learned my house may be worth $4.4 million dollars.

Better sell the thing and order yourself a couple thousand 3-9s.

For those who want to fund new boots for me, I have a 6xMQ and a 3-12 LRTS that can be re-homed for the right price.

That's called laziness. Or apathy. Neither are sound ways of running a business.
SD:

I understand your frustrations with not being able to obtain certain SWFA models. I wouldn't say no to a few more 3-9 and 6x's, myself.

Maybe its supply chain issues or an uptick in demand or both. But I don't think the thing to do is bespatter SWFA's business practices. What they offer is unequaled in value. $300 for a really tough scope with a great reticle - where can you find such an anomaly in any market niche? Their HD series hits way above its price class in terms of functionality and glass quality. Based on the borderline ridiculous prices they've been maintaining, I find it difficult to believe that they are engaged in purposely misrepresenting or dilatory business practices.

Further, it wasn't too long ago that we could buy all the 3-9's and 6x's we wanted, whenever we wanted. I often waited for a good sale.

sndmn11

WKR
It's interesting to see folks spend many hours pseudo complaining about availability at cheap prices from 2020, while turning their nose up at the scopes they desire at current pricing.

Case in point, there's a 6x in the classifieds and this 3-9 just popped up.

It's interesting to see folks spend many hours pseudo complaining about availability at cheap prices from 2020, while turning their nose up at the scopes they desire at current pricing.

Case in point, there's a 6x in the classifieds and this 3-9 just popped up.

It lasted 7 minutes, from the posting to a “I’ll take it”. And a second minutes later. A guy needs a bit of luck to get one

I've had a 3-9 on backorder for almost 5 months now. Whatever the business model is, it sucks. What if I break one of the 6 swfa scopes I own? My 2 10x's are always in stock but what about the 6x's, 3-9 and 2.5-10? When would I get a replacement? Great warranties mean nothing if the company can't keep a reasonable supply on hand.

Honestly, I'll probably move on from swfa unless they get their shit together soon. Too many other companies out there with great products and a dependable supply chain.

I sent in a damaged 3-9 in december 2020. Still waiting on the replacement.

Edit: this prompted me to inquire for a status update for the first time in 10 months. Response was: "We, unfortunately have not been given an updated ETA on our HD line of scopes."

Makes me wonder, how do you not have an ETA? Not a whole lot of businesses out there have zero ETA even if there is a low level of confidence in the accuracy. Since i damaged the scope (my fault), I don't really have any heartburn but I would if I had placed an order 19 months ago and was still waiting.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I sent in a damaged 3-9 in december 2020. Still waiting on the replacement.
Anyway you slice it, those are not good business practices.

I run a business too, and feel blessed that people want my services. And when more people want my services than I can adequately handle, I hire more employees, I expand my operations, I figure it out. Having customers is a very fortuitous thing. Good businesses figure out a way to take care of them, before they disappear forever. SWFA is on the verge of the latter from what I can tail.

Last edited:
SWFA is have a July 4th sale, no 3x9 sadly, but the price on 3x15 is good. Might be something to check out.