Swfa scopes

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Are all the swfa scopes known for reliable dialing or is it specific models? I always hear good things about the 3-9 but I'm really interested in the 3-15.

Wrench

WKR
They're all solid performers. I traded my x15 for another x9hd as the reticle in the 15 was very faint, the x9 more pronounced. I feel the optical advantage of the x9hd trumps the magnification. I have several of the x9's and none have left me feeling like I deserved more for my money. If I spent one more buck, id go straight to the lrhs.

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently started looking into swfa scopes, had never even heard of them until a few weeks ago. Is the quality of the fixed 6 power similar to the HD scopes or there is a big difference?
Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I just recently started looking into swfa scopes, had never even heard of them until a few weeks ago. Is the quality of the fixed 6 power similar to the HD scopes or there is a big difference?
Thanks

No there is not a large difference, though there is one. 6x is forgiving in a lot of ways and the SWFA version is quite good.

I think their reputation was mostly based on the fixed magnification scope. Especially the 10x

Not really. The variables (except the 1-4x classic) are very good.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
im not saying they are not. But the fixed magnification scopes are the ones with endless testimonies and time tested results in the field….the other ones, not so much

Where are you getting that idea? The 3-9x, 1-6x, and 5-20x’s have a decade plus of well documented heavy use on multiple sites.

Blue72

WKR
Where are you getting that idea? The 3-9x, 1-6x, and 5-20x’s have a decade plus of well documented heavy use on multiple sites.
Yes, they are…but not as much as the fixed magnification scopes that built swfa reputation

once again, I’m not degrading the other products in the slightest. But there is no denying that SWFA reputation was built on the fixed scopes

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned 2 swfa scopes, a fixed 6x and a fixed 12x. I still have the 12x, it’s been a good scope. The 6x elevation adjustment was good, but the windage adjustment was way off. One word of caution, the way the turrets lock on is just through deformation of a brass pillar that set screws on the turret screw into by deformation, not an actual threaded port. So far I haven’t had any issues with slippage, but I can see this method becoming a potential durability concern if you find yourself having to re-zero the scope

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
ImOne word of caution, the way the turrets lock on is just through deformation of a brass pillar that set screws on the turret screw into by deformation, not an actual threaded port. So far I haven’t had any issues with slippage, but I can see this method becoming a potential durability concern if you find yourself having to re-zero the scope

It’s not an issue.

Are all the swfa scopes known for reliable dialing or is it specific models? ...but I'm really interested in the 3-15.
I'd hope that they could build reliability into a pound and a half scope. If you decide you want one, good luck. Even before the COVID crunch SWFA struggled to keep them in stock. I have no idea how far out they are on delivering backorders now, but I'll bet it's substantial.

CaptArab

FNG
I'd hope that they could build reliability into a pound and a half scope. If you decide you want one, good luck. Even before the COVID crunch SWFA struggled to keep them in stock. I have no idea how far out they are on delivering backorders now, but I'll bet it's substantial.
6x is in stock now. I ordered another yesterday.

But even the 3-9 is sourced easily via classifieds.
Lug an atacr around for a few days and you'll call ~20 oz an ultra light.

wapitibob

WKR
I bought the swfa ss. I haven't noticed any difference in glass but I'm 65 so the eyes aren't that good.. I sold the nxs to fund a rifle weight loss and upgrade, not because I had a problem. The nxs was solid.