SWFA SS HD vs. Non-HD

Can anyone elaborate on the differences? Other than the glass quality, what makes the HD better, more reliable, etc.? Different internals? For reference, I'm trying to decide between the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 and the SWFA SS 3-15x42. Used strictly for hunting at ranges under 800 yards.

Wrench

WKR
Be careful on the 3-15 reticle choice. The open diamond sucks imo for low light hunting. I replaced mine with a 3-9 and found no loss besides weight.

Not to derail already, but a lrhs is superior in every way and can be found for like money.

I have them both.

I own the 3-15 swfa and an LRHS. While both are good scopes and do what i want gun to head the LRHS is superior. SWFA is a bit cheaper but the LRHS is awesome

ChrisAU

WKR
Just a heads up you can get a FFP 3-15 right now off Samplelist for $450 shipped. Halloween sale. My choice would be and is the 3-9 HD, but they are out of them on samplelist. Killed my bull at just over 400 yards a couple weeks ago with the 3-9, it did not leave me wanting for more power. Past 500 I might, but I'm not shooting that far.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have both as well. The LRHS and LRTS are superior scopes on my opinion.

In regards to HD vs non-HD, from what i have seen, glass quality is the only real deference.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have both as well. The LRHS and LRTS are superior scopes on my opinion.

In regards to HD vs non-HD, from what i have seen, glass quality is the only real deference.

The turrets on the 3-9 are definitely lower profile than the 3-15, but still not what I would consider low profile ha.

OP
ndbwhunter
I'm curious why anyone would choose a lower power like the 3-9? I am intrigued now, but I've always liked the extra power for viewing and picking a good spot on my target. Can someone sell me on the 3-9, or would I be better off with a fixed 10x or 12x?

Realistically, most of my shots are 300-500 yards so I probably would be ok with less power.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm curious why anyone would choose a lower power like the 3-9? I am intrigued now, but I've always liked the extra power for viewing and picking a good spot on my target. Can someone sell me on the 3-9, or would I be better off with a fixed 10x or 12x?

Realistically, most of my shots are 300-500 yards so I probably would be ok with less power.

I thought that way for years...then I tried shooting long range at low power. Makes it easier to stay on target IMO, I bet you would surprise yourself with your groups as well. I also would not want 5x (and dang sure not 10x or 12x) on the low end for hunting, I like a wide FOV while sneaking through the woods. But if your shots are truly on average over 300 yards, more power may help you. While my bull was a long way off, my average shots on whitetail (by far what I hunt the most, sigh) are well under 100 yards.

tdhanses

WKR
Be careful on the 3-15 reticle choice. The open diamond sucks imo for low light hunting. I replaced mine with a 3-9 and found no loss besides weight.

Not to derail already, but a lrhs is superior in every way and can be found for like money.

I have them both.
Is the lrts the same as the lrhs?

OP
ndbwhunter
I thought that way for years...then I tried shooting long range at low power. Makes it easier to stay on target IMO, I bet you would surprise yourself with your groups as well. I also would not want 5x (and dang sure not 10x or 12x) on the low end for hunting, I like a wide FOV while sneaking through the woods. But if your shots are truly on average over 300 yards, more power may help you. While my bull was a long way off, my average shots on whitetail (by far what I hunt the most, sigh) are well under 100 yards.

I haven't shot a deer under 300 yards in 15+ years. Most of my hunting in ND is done from hill tops down into fields or large draws, so the shots will usually exceed 300. I may have to give the 3-9 a try and see how I like it. They have a bunch of 3-15 on samplelist. So I'm tempted to buy both to try them out.

ChrisAU

WKR
I haven't shot a deer under 300 yards in 15+ years. Most of my hunting in ND is done from hill tops down into fields or large draws, so the shots will usually exceed 300. I may have to give the 3-9 a try and see how I like it. They have a bunch of 3-15 on samplelist. So I'm tempted to buy both to try them out.

I gotcha. The cool thing about buying SWFAs at a discount off the Sample List is if you don’t like it you can generally get 95% or more of your money back selling it. They don’t last long at all on the 24 Hour Campfire forums.