SWFA Ultralight vs ???

Looking for a lightweight scope for my wife’s hunting rifle. Looking at one of these.
Thoughts? Better suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, a lightweight scope means short to medium range and not needing to dial, so I have really liked a Leupold vx6 1-6 for that. The low magnification scopes open up a lot of potential for brightness, light weight, durability, and cost savings compared to larger scopes of the same quality.

Wapiti1

WKR
Depends on budget. I didn't like the SWFA I had. The eye relief was too short at max mag and, to me, the eye box was finicky.

I'd go with either a Trijicon 3-9 Accupoint mil dot or Swaro Z3 3-10 or 3-9 with plex or BRH. I have both of these and they have been excellent scopes. My wife stole one of my Trijicons for her rifle.

Jeremy

I got persuaded into buying one and now have three. It’s a good buy. Have one on a muzzleloader, another on my sons Grendel, and one on my T3X manbun. Used to find them for $250 on Black Friday but those days are probably gone.

I like mine. I am shooting steel at 500 and in so the reticle is plenty capable for a precise holdover. It’s a little limited by the small objective size. For your wife I would go with something not as ultralight, but more forgiving to get behind. Leupold vx1 or similar with holdover dots (a little hard to find) would be pretty ideal. Swarovski with BRH if you could swing the cost.

Wrench

WKR
3-9 conquest/meopta/Cabela’s euro would be my suggestion. Best bang for the ounce that ive found.

My son borrowed my SWFA with no strategy for its return. I bought another for myself. It’s a great little scope for weight-clarity-durability. The little scope sure can take a beating.

My older Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 is fairly comparable but with more eye relief and a better eye box. I don’t feel the glass is any better then the SWFA. It seems the newest ones are a little dubious as to reliability.

I really like my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. The small weight penalty is totally worth it. It’s probably the best in its class overall. No complaints whatsoever.

My Swarovski Z3 3-9 has the best glass hands down but just recently the mechanics failed to it's going to a new home as soon as it comes back from Swarovski. It has never been on anything but my nice .270 that I stand hunt with, so it hasn’t had a rough life.

I had a Leica ER 2.5–10 x42 for a brief time. My friend has had it for seven years now on his 375 H&H. Three trips to Africa and several hundred rounds through the rifle with zero issues.

That’s about all I know on the subject.

OP
silasbowhunter
My son borrowed my SWFA with no strategy for its return. I bought another for myself. It’s a great little scope for weight-clarity-durability. The little scope sure can take a beating.

My older Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 is fairly comparable but with more eye relief and a better eye box. I don’t feel the glass is any better then the SWFA. It seems the newest ones are a little dubious as to reliability.

I really like my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. The small weight penalty is totally worth it. It’s probably the best in its class overall. No complaints whatsoever.

My Swarovski Z3 3-9 has the best glass hands down but just recently the mechanics failed to it's going to a new home as soon as it comes back from Swarovski. It has never been on anything but my nice .270 that I stand hunt with, so it hasn’t had a rough life.

I had a Leica ER 2.5–10 x42 for a brief time. My friend has had it for seven years now on his 375 H&H. Three trips to Africa and several hundred rounds through the rifle with zero issues.

That’s about all I know on the subject.

Are you talking the trijicon accupoint that is somewhere between $650-900? Or am I finding the wrong model when I google?

BAKPAKR

WKR
Are you talking the trijicon accupoint that is somewhere between $650-900? Or am I finding the wrong model when I google?

I am guessing he is talking about the 3-9x40. I recently got the green mil-dot model for $506.85 + tax, shipped. That was after a 12% off coupon.

OP
silasbowhunter
I am guessing he is talking about the 3-9x40. I recently got the green mil-dot model for $506.85 + tax, shipped. That was after a 12% off coupon.

Gotcha. Haha just wondered as most of the ultralights I’ve seen can be had for $350ish..

I know what I’d buy for my wife if wanted to spend $550+ though so was just wondering.

Thanks for the clarification