SWFA Ultralight w/ BDC

Shot mine the other day... folks won't want to hear about holdovers, but at zeroed 1.9" high at 100 yds, it's pretty solid zero at 200 and the 300 holdover is damn close to perfect (a touch high, but all would be dead animals). Was using 140 gr American Gunner in 6.5 CM. I shoot mostly everything at 200 yds and under if possible so this is solid scope for those purposes. Trajectory in 6.5 pretty close to the 5.56 this was designed for.

Rockwell

FNG
I have one as well, very impressive little scope on a 6.5 grendel. Very clear glass, yes the eyebox get's just a little tight on 9 or 10 power but really not a big deal if you have any kind of support. I would buy another if the need ever were to arise.

Really like that weight. Any reason to be concerned about durability? I know the hd scopes get a lot of praise but weigh more.

I think it’s a pretty stout scope... I might have 25 scopes or so and think this model is solid as can be. Agree and smaller eye box and other comments but not sure you can do better at that weight.

I really like how the scope housing is so thin that it almost disappears when you're behind it. I find it makes for very fast and accurate eye alignment behind the scope, because I use the shadow to center my eye before getting close enough and the absence of the scope housing around the edges makes it much faster because it's easier to pick up on the shadow.

I almost bought one of these...then I weighed a Leupold VX1 3-9x40. 12oz. A 3ounce weight savings is not worth it to me but I get that for some guys it makes a difference.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I'll have the replacement UL mounted by the 10th or so, still haven't picked up the rifle from my FFL. I hope that the first one being wacky was a fluke. SWFA built it's business on durability, looking forward to breaking this one in.

Last edited:
I'll have the replacement UL mounted by the 10th or so, still haven't picked up the rifle from my FFL. I think that the first one being wacky was a fluke. SWFA built it's business on durability, looking forward to breaking this one in.

I agree. I don't know anything about the internals of the scope, but I bet it is ruggedly built inside. It seems like all the weight savings are in the size, lack of added luxuries, and thinner housing.

I'm kind of wanting to steal it off my kids'gun for my own and give them my Maven!

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Any update on your replacement?
Yes! Sorry been gone on several long hunts since getting the UL mounted.

The replacement seems to be fully functional. Not enough rounds or hunting miles on it yet to form an opinion aside from the fact that it does what it is supposed to so far.

The .243 I have it on was sighted in with only 2 shots at 100. First one 8" low, made adjustment, shots 2-5 within 1" of each other and dead center.

Compare that to the faulty one that was changing POI 5-10" every shot and tracking in the opposite direction lol.

Anyway...took it right out to 2 and 300 yards to confirm BDC hashes on the 5.56 reticle were "good enough" to hunt. Indeed they were.

I'll continue to update as the rifle/scope combo are shot more and strapped to the pack for more miles.

A lot of guys (myself included) wonder about eye relief on the scope. At 2.5-8 power, not bad at all (although scope is mounted pretty far back even on a short LOP Kimber). At max mag the eyebox is a bit small and picky.

For a lightweight scope on a rifle purpose-built for smashing deer in the timber, totally satisfactory though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201028-132822_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028-132822_Gallery.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 55

Fotis

FNG
I had one and the only reason I got rid of it was that to my eyes anything over 8 power was blurry as heck. Again this was through my eyes. This is what I have experienced as of late. I also had a Leupold 4.5x14x40 without a parallax adjustment. I could not focus on a 100 yard target at 14 power no matter what. Eyes after 50 years start to go bad.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I had one and the only reason I got rid of it was that to my eyes anything over 8 power was blurry as heck. Again this was through my eyes. This is what I have experienced as of late. I also had a Leupold 4.5x14x40 without a parallax adjustment. I could not focus on a 100 yard target at 14 power no matter what. Eyes after 50 years start to go bad.
Good to know for sure.

I'm still a youngin' (27), but find both the UL and my Leupy 4.5-14 clear at max mag.

Eyes are indeed weird, and only get weirder with age!

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
ianpadron could you fill us in on the rings? Talley? What height? Standard set or any offset issues? Thanks for this thread. Good info.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
ianpadron could you fill us in on the rings? Talley? What height? Standard set or any offset issues? Thanks for this thread. Good info.
I've got the standard Low height Talley UL rings for the Kimber 84M action. No issues at all, and enough wiggle room to get a nice full sight picture. Match made in heaven for a light rifle and light scope IMHO!