Switch Barrel a good option for a lightweight build???

tdot

WKR
I'm currently in the early days of the planning stages of a light weight build. Goal is about 6 pounds before scope and rings.

I'm looking at the realistic cost of completing this project, and starting to think that maybe I should sell a rifle to make it happen. But of course I "need" every rifle and caliber that I have! So, is it a realistic option to build a rifle, I'm thinking a Lone Peak Razor Ti or a Deviant Ultralight or something at that level of quality and then have two barrels to switch between?? I'm ok with having to reset zero on the scope occasionally. I wouldn't plan on switching at the range, only for specific hunts and the load development before hand.

The original plan for this build was a 6.5mm Sherman Short, but now I'm leaning towards a 6.5PRC. The rifle I'm thinking about selling is a 300WM Cooper Jackson Hunter. This is a caliber that I would like to keep for Elk Hunts and anything bigger, but realistically I only need this caliber once every two years.

Benefits are one less scope to buy plus I would get a lighter 30 Cal rifle, as right now I'm so used to hunting with my Kimber Montana 308 that I don't even consider backpacking with the Cooper, then I'd be able to sell the Cooper.

I haven't investigated this idea thoroughly, but is it even something worth considering?

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely. Your needs and wants are exactly why switch barrels are so popular. The possibilities are endless. I would even consider a 7SS. It will do everything the 6.5 will and kill elk too all with 1 barrel.

I have a rifle right now being built that will have an MTU barrel for shooting matches and a Proof barrel for varmint and deer hunting. When I pick that up I plan to leave my lightweight 22 Dasher with my smith and have him chamber a 45cal Muzzleloader barrel and possibly a 7SS. Like you I only hunt elk every 2-5 years so having a dedicated rifle isn’t exactly logical on my budget

Action: $1200ish
Stock: $700ish
Trigger: $200ish
Bottom metal: $150-$275
SS Barrels: $350 each
CF barrels: $700 each
Total: ???

Smith Fees

Chamber: $300
Muzzle threading: $175
Pillar Bed: $250
Cerakote: $150ish
Total: $875ish

TauPhi111

WKR
Anyone who sees my posts regularly is gonna accuse me of being a Q fanboy (which I am) but...have you checked out the Fix? It's light and switching barrels is super easy. For the amount you will spend on a full custom you can buy a Fix or a mega Fix when it comes out and an extra barrel.

bradb

WKR
I have a couple set up with a real heavy steel and a light carbon.
Can switch a shouldered barel pretty fast and easy

OP
T

tdot

WKR
Anyone who sees my posts regularly is gonna accuse me of being a Q fanboy (which I am) but...have you checked out the Fix? It's light and switching barrels is super easy. For the amount you will spend on a full custom you can buy a Fix or a mega Fix when it comes out and an extra barrel.

To be honest I dont know if I can get over the aesthetics of a chassis rifle system. I also have never fired a rifle with a vertical handle. I guess I should atleast try that someday.

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I have a couple set up with a real heavy steel and a light carbon.
Can switch a shouldered barel pretty fast and easy
Thanks. How are you switching barrels qucikly? Are you removing the action and barrel from the stock?

bradb

WKR
Relatively quick. Yes on these i do remove mail from stock and scope. Then just a barrel vise and rear entry action wrench. I be sure not to clamp hard on the carbon....... no idea if you could.
I do have a heavy f class gun that i switch without removing anything

TauPhi111

WKR
To be honest I dont know if I can get over the aesthetics of a chassis rifle system. I also have never fired a rifle with a vertical handle. I guess I should atleast try that someday.

You should try it. The receiver is based off of an AR receiver so if you like shooting an AR you will have no problem. And because it's not a barreled action in a chassis like other rifles, it's not bulky. Plus the stock folds so it's compact. Now if you want the aesthetics of a field rifle, you're just not gonna get that, but the utility of that gun, IMO, far outweighs any weaknesses for the one gun hunter