Switch Barrel Tikka Setup

instead of torquing barrels on and off I went this route. Been very happy with it.

This is what I have and love it. I have a remage system on another gun and while it’s nice, the switch lug is better. The only disadvantage I see is having to get new barrels headspaced the first time. And I disagree with a previous poster, I use mountain contour barrels and low profile scopes on mine and have plenty of room to work.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Reburn, where did you source your bolts from? I've been thinking about a setup like yours for a while but couldn't think of where to find bolts for different cartridge families.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Consider an Origin with multiple bolt heads. After you buy the Tikka and bolts, its close money. With the Origin, you also get Rem 700 aftermarket.

WTO switchlug or wrench flats works fine. So does a Viper barrel vice and rear action tool.

Don't do do wrench flats on the end of a carbon fiber barrel. You need the flats on the chamber side, but I would just do a vice. Its simple enough that I have a tool box with C clamps and can do it any where, even on my tailgate. Although, you need to pull your scope to use the vice on the carbon fiber chamber area and I'd think even wrench flats.

Shooters been using wrench flats for a very long time. It works. You can record your offsets and don't need to boresight it again. A torqued barrel will return close to its zero.

I have run Savage barrels for my few years shooting and been taking them on and off the whole time. The switch barrel is cool, but, man, I stopped doing the switches unless I need to.

It is pretty cool to have a different barrel for different purposes, like hunts. I spun on my short 308 barrel for a blind hunt for bison. Then spun my magnum back on for long range elk. Its easy enough to do that and useful.

Most will tell you that using the switch barrel is better in your head than in real life. A few really use it often and have the situation that lends itself to it. Many just end up building another rifle, lol.

You can get a stock and scope that will allow it without pulling your action from the stock, but two action screws isn't that big of a deal.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Reburn, where did you source your bolts from? I've been thinking about a setup like yours for a while but couldn't think of where to find bolts for different cartridge families.

Well first you have to have a first born son, then blood of a virgin, a chicken foot and $500.

Seriously. Gun was a magnum bolt to start. I lucked into a standard bolt from midwest gun works. After signing up for in stock notification and waiting 5 months. Then bought a 223 tikka. "lost" the bolt and had to send it back to beretta to get a new bolt installed. Then I just turned that 223 into a trainer gun in a mesa stock with a swfa 3-9 for my son.

as hereinaz said. Bighorn action is easier to start with. I wanted a tikka switchlug though not a rem 700 switchlug.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I kind of figured it would take flaming hoops like that.☺ back to the drawing board I guess....

could be a dumb question but I figured I would ask. I have an opportunity to purchase a Tikka T3X Lite in .270. Would I need to do anything else to switch it to .30-06 other than change the barrel?

fatbacks

WKR
could be a dumb question but I figured I would ask. I have an opportunity to purchase a Tikka T3X Lite in .270. Would I need to do anything else to switch it to .30-06 other than change the barrel?

Just swap a barrel and that’s it with that combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I have and love it. I have a remage system on another gun and while it’s nice, the switch lug is better. The only disadvantage I see is having to get new barrels headspaced the first time. And I disagree with a previous poster, I use mountain contour barrels and low profile scopes on mine and have plenty of room to work.
wow, that is really slick. I'll be paying attention for how that works out over time. The ability to fly with a compact set up with 2 barrels and no tools, that's really appealing.

Had I known about that switch lug system when a previous gunsmith jacked up my Tikka action by taking 1/16" off the face without asking, I'd have just went that route rather than selling and getting a new one.

Another benefit for that system is it you fly to hunt, you could remove the barrel and have a smaller piece of luggage.

crich

WKR
The only disadvantage I see is having to get new barrels headspaced the first time.
I thought this may be the case but I wasnt sure how much they alter the action. Im waiting for WTO to give me a call back but I guess its safe to say you cant spin any regular factory tikka barrel or prefit on or is that incorrect?

OP
sram9102

sram9102

WKR
I thought this may be the case but I wasnt sure how much they alter the action. Im waiting for WTO to give me a call back but I guess its safe to say you cant spin any regular factory tikka barrel or prefit on or is that incorrect?
They shave .1 off the front of the action to make room for the switch lug. You do have to get each barrel fit to your specific rifle. They keep the measurement of your rifle so the only time you have to send the action back in is when you get a barrel spun up with a different bolt face.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
They shave .1 off the front of the action to make room for the switch lug. You do have to get each barrel fit to your specific rifle. They keep the measurement of your rifle so the only time you have to send the action back in is when you get a barrel spun up with a different bolt face.

This is correct.