Switched from Berger Hybrids to ELD-Ms for game?

Vandy321

WKR
The 225 ELD-Ms seem to the more accurate in folks 30 cal magnums...and are a significant cost savings as well.

Anybody knock down elk with BOTH 225s and the 215 Hybrids and have any inputs one way or the other?

The 215 has a solid following and with good reason, but the ELD-Ms seem to have a big following in the 6.5 crowd for deer, curious if that translates to the 225 performing on elk. ...the price and the accuracy of the ELD-M has me thinking.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
After getting 1/2" MOA with the Bergers and only getting 1+" with the ELD-M.... haven't tried them on game.

Interesting. Everything I've been reading on the hide, the 225s seemed to be generally accepted as the more accurate bullet.

I bought 500 of them. If I can get them to shoot, I'd sure like to have one bullet for steel and meat...and at almost half the price, really hope it's the ELD-M

Last edited:

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
After getting 1/2" MOA with the Bergers and only getting 1+" with the ELD-M.... haven't tried them on game.
+1
g.png

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am also going to be using the ELD-M's this season for the first time. Well actually my wife is. We will be running the 147's out of her 6.5 creedmoor on antelope this season. I have been wondering the same thing and from the research I've done I am pretty confident they should get the job done. I will report back afterwards.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
The only complaints ive seen so far is bullets blowing up inside of about 200 yards...sounds like a berger.

Have not seen anyone post a final load of +1moa numbers with any match bullet...not saying it's not the case for elkguide...was that a pretty quick load workup?

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Maybe it's not a bullet issue but out of three .300 WM's and two .300 RUM's that will all shoot 1/2" MOA with Bergers and hold around 3/4" with Accubonds, that was my results.

I have several other people that shoot at my range that have had the same results. Let me also say that prior to switching to heavy for caliber bullets, I shot Hornady SST's almost exclusively on game (165 gr & 180 gr in .30 caliber) and can get them into tiny little bug holes with the same rifles.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Maybe it's not a bullet issue but out of three .300 WM's and two .300 RUM's that will all shoot 1/2" MOA with Bergers and hold around 3/4" with Accubonds, that was my results.

I have several other people that shoot at my range that have had the same results. Let me also say that prior to switching to heavy for caliber bullets, I shot Hornady SST's almost exclusively on game (165 gr & 180 gr in .30 caliber) and can get them into tiny little bug holes with the same rifles.

More was asking how much time went into that load, if lots of effort and still 1moa result, that sucks, agreed. I had shit luck with bergers at 1st, but seating depth and primer swap dropped them from .75 - 1 moa to sub .5

Not unhappy with bergers at all. But if I'm paying $300 for 500 bullets, I shouldnt have to spend hours sorting them due to large inconsistencies.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
To much time and way to much powder. Really wanted to get them to shoot.

I've had lots of individual rifles that didn't like a particular bullet but never had this many different rifles dislike the same bullet. Not trying to trash Hornady as I still will shoot Hornady's SST without hesitation knowing that they are a very frangible bullet but also knowing that they are very accurate.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
To much time and way to much powder. Really wanted to get them to shoot.

I've had lots of individual rifles that didn't like a particular bullet but never had this many different rifles dislike the same bullet. Not trying to trash Hornady as I still will shoot Hornady's SST without hesitation knowing that they are a very frangible bullet but also knowing that they are very accurate.

Well, good inputs, thanks. Will have to see how my barrel them I guess. Should have the winter to screw with them.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
The 225 ELD-Ms seem to the more accurate in folks 30 cal magnums...and are a significant cost savings as well.

Anybody knock down elk with BOTH 225s and the 215 Hybrids and have any inputs one way or the other?

The 215 has a solid following and with good reason, but the ELD-Ms seem to have a big following in the 6.5 crowd for deer, curious if that translates to the 225 performing on elk. ...the price and the accuracy of the ELD-M has me thinking.

I've had really good luck killing bulls with 147 ELDMs in my 6.5 saum, from 375-940 yards.
They are not a substitute for a bonded bullet at close range though.. I always carry partitions or monos in the mag and switch out for elds at longer ranges.

Currently working up loads with 225's in my 300 PRC for this elk season, and they're shooting lights out.
I have several loads that are .5 or better,
The 215's have been the most finicky bullet I've used so far.. I can't get them sub with a pile of loads that I've tried, every rifle is different I guess.

In my experience the ELDMs are extremely accurate..
I've shot 2" groups at 820 yards with the 180's in my 7 wsm, the 147's are a solid .2 in my 6.5 saum, and the 225's are shooting .5 with several loads so far.
Go to a few matches and see how many guys are running red tips..
Nothing wrong with Bergers, but if everyone you know can't get the ELDM's to shoot they're doing something wrong.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
That's more along the lines of what I've seen on the hide posts for accuracy from these. Main concern was the terminal performance.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
My RUM quit shooting the 230's above 3200fps with accuracy after it got about 200 rounds through the new Broughton barrel. I ran them slower in the mid 3100's for a long time. About a year ago I switched to the 225 ELD-M's for the better expansion at the far end. I got my speed back with accuracy. It'll run sub .5 MOA at 3250fps with N570 or RL33. I opted to use RL33 because of availability. I haven't used these bullets on game but I'm looking forward to a test this season:)

34085934499f725328108b1785be737f.jpg
f5d4732b3cddd2d15730d05afadeeb96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Nice shooting, great to hear.

Sidebar...did you find they like minimal jump too?

I have to jump my bergers .060 and hoping to get some more case capacity out of the 225s and a shorter jump.

shawnb

FNG
Havent shot an animal with the 225s yet but they have shot great for me. Cant say enough good about them.

Im hoping an elk will be dropped by them this fall. Ill report back then.

cheytac

FNG
I have get more consistence results from the Berger than the Eldm in my 300 Norma

I've been hunting with the 208 ELD-M in 300 WM, they have performed very well for me on elk. Working up loads in the 225 now, so far they are showing promise with sub 1/2 MOA.

Some guns are going to like one bullet better than another. I'm glad mine likes the ELD-M, all else being equal I prefer to spend less $$.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I've been hunting with the 208 ELD-M in 300 WM, they have performed very well for me on elk. Working up loads in the 225 now, so far they are showing promise with sub 1/2 MOA.

Some guns are going to like one bullet better than another. I'm glad mine likes the ELD-M, all else being equal I prefer to spend less $$.

I have a few charge weights shooting 1/2 moa with the 225s...but the node is only .5gr wide it seems. Still working on it. Those are seated .020 off in ADG brass with CCI 250s....I could not get to a high node with H1000 and 225s...I'm working around 74.3 grains right now, luckily I'm at 7k msl...so that'll be the only thing that gets me close to the 'magical' 2800 FPS for this bullet.

Mind sharing your load data?

Last edited:
I recently killed a bull with the 225. Bullet was just under 2000 FPS and about 1980 ft-lbs at impact. I was shooting at a slight downhill angle. It left the muzzle @2882 FPS out of a 1-9.4 twist

The bullet entered just behind the shoulder bone. It caught the meat I would call the tricep. The main part of the bullet was stuck under the hide on the offside about 3” behind the shoulder. It weighed 142.4.

The bull took off at a fast walk angling up hill after the shot. About 20’ and he rolled down the hill. No follow up was needed.

Lots of blood shot on the underside of the shoulder and ribs.

Idk if they will hold up on a close shot like 300 and in? Hopefully there is enough mass to still penetrate and kill the animal.
F8294B84-1966-4C46-A0B4-3FF16CF16DE9.jpeg317880AD-7EEF-4E51-A632-6C6DC9361B62.jpeg