Switching away from 210 Berger to a 180 Swift Scirocco

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Magnum, I can't answer that one as the Whitetail was shot by a gunsmith buddy.I tried the 130's in a Creedmoor with great accuracy but did not shoot any game with it this year.
Not a crazy question, usually when I hear that sound, good things have happened.

Have you looked at a twist rate calculator for your velocity and 1:11 barrel. Looks like the 180 is in a sweet spot with plenty of terminal performance.

I agree. That sweet spot is why I've been pursuing it. Do you mind sharing how far you seated them off of the lands?

mt100gr.

WKR
Here's a couple 180 grain, 30 cal Scirocco bullets. One angled thru an elk to the off side hide and one through a burly old whitetail that went in on the point of its shoulder and angled back to the off side hip. Both were fired from 30-06 and impacted at under 80 yards. 20190227_195558.jpg20190227_195522.jpg20190227_195543.jpg

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider

mt100gr.

WKR
I don't. Those are from back when I was shooting factory ammo. When I started handloading some years ago, I looked into them but everything I found said they were kind of sensitive and could be tricky to find the accuracy. ....I was intimidated by that and never tried them. This thread and winter boredom has me crunching numbers though. They're a badass bullet.

bhylton

WKR
In my limited experience loading these, they built pressure way earlier than an equal weight accubond. they ended up shooting ok, just a word of caution.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
In my limited experience loading these, they built pressure way earlier than an equal weight accubond. they ended up shooting ok, just a word of caution.

Thanks for that. When I called the company they were very forward about saying the jackets were a work hardened copper. It made me immediately think about the Original Barnes X bullets, "HOT Barrels"

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
i have never used the swift scirocco. but i would go back to accubonds. with a 1:11 twist i would go with the ab in the 180 grn range. i have used the ab out of my 300 weatherby magnum on 4 whitetail's all doe's (complety legal i hunt in nc) 3 about 100 pounds the 3rd was about 70 pounds i was doing doe managment. all were complete pass thru's. telling by wound channels in all four entrance side shoulders it would have been probly been 90 cal expansion exit hole big enough to put a soda can thru. i imagine it would do that to elk pronghorn, mule deer moose. i do not know what your velocity and energy is but mine is a 180 accubond 3250 fps and 4221 energy i would say your getting 2880-3000 fps and probly 3600 energy with a 180 out of the win mag. it will do weatherby no longer loads the accubond in their ammo so i am gonna go to a 180 swift scirocco. i would say if you keep either above 1800 fps they will do their job if you do your's.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
i have never used the swift scirocco. but i would go back to accubonds. with a 1:11 twist i would go with the ab in the 180 grn range. i have used the ab out of my 300 weatherby magnum on 4 whitetail's all doe's (complety legal i hunt in nc) 3 about 100 pounds the 3rd was about 70 pounds i was doing doe managment. all were complete pass thru's. telling by wound channels in all four entrance side shoulders it would have been probly been 90 cal expansion exit hole big enough to put a soda can thru. i imagine it would do that to elk pronghorn, mule deer moose. i do not know what your velocity and energy is but mine is a 180 accubond 3250 fps and 4221 energy i would say your getting 2880-3000 fps and probly 3600 energy with a 180 out of the win mag. it will do weatherby no longer loads the accubond in their ammo so i am gonna go to a 180 swift scirocco. i would say if you keep either above 1800 fps they will do their job if you do your's.
Thanks for the reply!

Since this post, I was able to shoot a Mule deer at 420 yards with the Scirocco. Excellent accuracy. the deer ran 150 yards with center-punched lungs.

I'm now seeing why people are saying stay under 500 yds with them. After shooting the 200gr Accubond, these Sciroccos make that big Accubond look like a Varmint bullet. Very tough bullet that needs to be above 3000 fps.

I'm now running the 190 ABLR