Switching boots

vthokee

WKR
Has anyone went back from an all leather boot to a lightweight boot like Salomon? I currently have the Kennetrek Mtn Extreme uninsulated and I am looking at selling and buying a pair of Salomons. Has anyone made a similar switch?

Grover

FNG
I just picked up a pair of Lightweight Scarpa Zodiacs. They are 19oz per boot and similar to the Salomon Quest in price. I use a pair of heavy insulated 400gm leather boots if there’s a lot of snow but otherwise like the feel of a light weight boot. For me, I just need to be careful with adequate ankle support. So far very impressed. Have used Danner Radical 452’s the past 5 years or so but treads only lasted one season. Don’t know why I kept buying a new pair each year and will never buy again.

I don’t think Kenetrek and Salomon are even in the same realm. Understand going for a lighter boot, but I would look towards one the quality of the Kenetreks. Scarpa, la sportiva, Crispi Thors, look to mountaineering type boots, assuming you are doing mountain type hunting.

Felix40

WKR
I was convinced to try a lightweight boot that is all leather about 2 years ago. I dont see doing anything different for my next pair. Oboz bridgers have been great for my feet and getting two years out of a $160 pair of boots is awesome too.

Prior to the oboz I was wearing pretty stiff asolos and I wouldnt take a pair now if you paid me to wear them

Not an identical switch, but I used to wear danner jackals and switched to Salomon x-alp mids, and have been really happy with them. I wore them on my whole elk hunt last season with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR
My go-to boots for everything are a pair of Kenetrek hardscrabble hikers. I've been wearing them for three and a half years. I also have a pair of Salomon Quest 4ds. The difference in weight is almost imperceptible, but the Kenetreks are 20 times the boot. I'm going to have to do something about these boots soon because I've almost worn them to slicks. They are the first boot that I've been able to wear a sole off of and had enough boot left to consider resoleing. I can't speak highly enough of them. The Salomons, on the other hand, are disposable boots.

crossfire3006

Lil-Rokslider
I went from leather (Schnee's) to split grain leather (Lowa) back to leather (Schnee's and Kenetrek). I prefer a heavy-duty leather.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm thinking about making the switch. I ran Asolos for a few years, then made the switch to Kennetrek's in the run up to an elk hunt last year. I love the Kennetrek's, but I feel like I'm wearing a lot more boot than I really need. I'm planning a move from South Dakota to Texas here soon and I don't know if I can see myself needing the Kennetreks down south. I tried to fall in love with the Salomon 4D and X Ultra 3, but neither one really fit my foot quite right.

kad11

WKR
I like to wear the minimum amount of boot required for the terrain. Unless there is a ton of shale and scree fields I'd go with something like the Oboz Bridgers. I used the heck out of those things for about 5 years and averaged 2-3 years per pair. The sole always got chewed up before the fabric gave out... I think those are a great option for most elk country.

Mosby

WKR
I'm thinking about making the switch. I ran Asolos for a few years, then made the switch to Kennetrek's in the run up to an elk hunt last year. I love the Kennetrek's, but I feel like I'm wearing a lot more boot than I really need. I'm planning a move from South Dakota to Texas here soon and I don't know if I can see myself needing the Kennetreks down south. I tried to fall in love with the Salomon 4D and X Ultra 3, but neither one really fit my foot quite right.
If I was moving to Texas, I would look at Russell snake boots. I agree you don't need the Kennetrek's but I wouldn't wear a hiking boot hunting in Texas.

ChrisS

WKR
I switched to Salomon 4Ds from a Hanwag Alaskan, which were waaay too stiff and heavy for what I was doing. I probably have 150+ miles on my current 4Ds now, maybe more, the rand is starting to peel a tiny little bit, but man they're comfortable. I hunt mostly in the Adirondacks of NY, which is basically a swampy boulder field with deadfall everywhere and I haven't had a single issue with not enough support.

OP
vthokee

vthokee

WKR
I switched to Salomon 4Ds from a Hanwag Alaskan, which were waaay too stiff and heavy for what I was doing. I probably have 150+ miles on my current 4Ds now, maybe more, the rand is starting to peel a tiny little bit, but man they're comfortable. I hunt mostly in the Adirondacks of NY, which is basically a swampy boulder field with deadfall everywhere and I haven't had a single issue with not enough support.

Did you do anything to give them added waterproofing?

Catahoula

WKR
I’m wearing the new Crispi Crossover Light GTX for archery season this year. Have a pair of Crispi Nevada’s that I Worn the last couple seasons. See how they do hunting. Been in them hiking this summer.

Bacwest

FNG
I've switched from all leather meidl's to Crispi Wyoming's and have been very happy with them in early season and mid November in snow with gaitors.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
Did you do anything to give them added waterproofing?
I treated them with Nikwax DWR. That's good for keeping them from holding water in the leather and fabric. I wear gaiters when there's snow on the ground or when it's raining to keep the vegetation from soaking the boot. I've crossed creeks with them and had the occasional slip when crossing bogs where I submerge one foot. But I don't stand in water for prolonged periods.

Cdgvd6

FNG
I use Danner RAT boots for early (hot) season and switch to Lacrosse of Baffin rubber for when it gets cold.