Switching from a Fulcrum to a Reckoning

I've been running a fulcrum for the past two years, and although it is a great pack, I can't help but wonder if I'd like the reckoning better. I'm not particularly fond of the wing pockets as they don't compress down super tight when running in day mode. For large loads it's great, but most of the time is spent in day mode. I've never used a meat shelf so I can't say whether or not I'd use it.

I guess I just wanted to see what other think when comparing the two. I don't need two bags and prefer to have one that can do it all. In my opinion, both of these bags will do what I need.

marktole

WKR
I use my reckoning with a guide lid for everything from day trips to week long hunts.

I usually run a grab it between my frame and bag as a load shelf, I don't really like the one that is sewn into the pack already. Then I will throw another bag of meat into the main bag if I need to carry more and I have the room.

Guide lid up top adds organization for little things like the days food, water filters, gloves, pack rain fly, etc.

Main bag holds my puffy, rain gear, kill kit, etc. Camp gear if I am doing more than a day trip. Love the center zip for access, quick to grab whatever you need and zip it right back up. Run a spotting scope down one side of the pack in the expandable pockets, tripod goes down the other side so it balances out nicely.

The big loop at the bottom of the reckoning is perfect for slipping the cam of a bow into for strapping it to the pack. Have been very pleased with that little feature. The snow collar lid is also really nice because it folds down pretty flat when you're not carrying a lot of gear, but adds a good amount of room with it all the way extended, should you need it. Overall, the pack compresses really nicely for day hunting use. I have a 22 Mag that I bought for day hunting, but haven't used it much in the past few years because the reckoning seems to do both day and extended trips pretty well for me. Maybe that will give you an idea of how at least one person uses the reckoning as compared to your fulcrum.

My opinion on your question, if you don't need or want two packs, why not buy the reckoning, use it on a hunt, and then make a decision on which to keep after some ample, first hand comparison?

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Reckoning and use it with a OGL. It has worked out well for me so far, but I've often thought about trying a Fulcrum instead. If you are interested in a temporary swap to check out my Reckoning and let me try out your Fulcrum, just send me a direct message. If nothing else we can both use it as a 'try before we buy' option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a Reckoning and use it with a OGL. It has worked out well for me so far, but I've often thought about trying a Fulcrum instead. If you are interested in a temporary swap to check out my Reckoning and let me try out your Fulcrum, just send me a direct message. If nothing else we can both use it as a 'try before we buy' option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thats an awesome idea

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Im a really big fan of the reckoning. Cant compare it to the fulcrum however.
I used the meatshelf twice this year and Im a fan of having the option. Having the guide lid and extending the snow collar I can pack plenty for late season hunts with warm gear and accessories.

carter33

WKR
I started with the fulcrum and made the switch to the reckoning. The fulcrum is great if you’re always going to have a large load but the reckoning is much better in day mode. I agree that the fulcrum, while still functional in day mode, is just a little floppy.

Reckoning is my first Kifaru pack. Switched over from SG. I cant say enough good things about it. From day mode to multi day to sand bag work outs.....its fits my style perfect.
Now...I am going to admit straight up that I am stealing marktoles strategy and I am TOTALLY going to start running my grab-it between the pack and frame.....GENIUS!

marktole

WKR
Reckoning is my first Kifaru pack. Switched over from SG. I cant say enough good things about it. From day mode to multi day to sand bag work outs.....its fits my style perfect.
Now...I am going to admit straight up that I am stealing marktoles strategy and I am TOTALLY going to start running my grab-it between the pack and frame.....GENIUS!

I didn’t like the load shelf on the reckoning because it kinda let the bulk of the weight sit too low on the frame for my personal liking. The grab it really helped bring the weight higher, and felt much better. I think it also is a little easier to get the meat into without it wanting to spill out the sides of the frame because of the larger area of the grab it vs the lid shelf. I just leave the grab it in at all times in case it is needed! Plus, for packs that don’t have the load shelf built in, now you have a simple fix! Let us know how it works for you if you try it out.

OP
ndbwhunter
What changes were made to the Hypalon sleeve recently? I remember hearing about it, but can't seem to find any details.

Scrappy

WKR
I have the fulcrum and thought it was sloppy in day mode until I looked at it closely. I just took one of the compression straps that are attached to the frame on both sides and ran it outside the wings. Now everything is synched down and really narrow. It made it completely disappear on my back.

marktole

WKR
What changes were made to the Hypalon sleeve recently? I remember hearing about it, but can't seem to find any details.

The changes made to the hypalon sleeve was that they quit using hypalon. It is now a different, more durable material. I think you should be able to find pictures of it online or maybe on kifarus website in some videos or product photos, but I can’t say which. Just seems like I had seen them there before.