Switching from Mechanical Back to Fixed Blades

treillw

WKR
I've been shooting two blade rages for awhile now. I'm reevaluating things this year however. I'm going to set my wife up with some iron will heads for elk and her lower energy bow. Just has my wheels turning a little about how much better fixed blades penetrate. I have energy to burn with my draw and poundage, but shots don't always land exactly where they are supposed to.

What do you guys think? Stick with mechanical for the simplicity, or go to fixed? Is it hard to get the iron will head to tune out to 60 yards?

I am sure that I'm the first person to ask this question on here. ;)

Zac

WKR
Ironwill is probably the best flying fixed head. However I'd base your decision on how well you are at tuning. I took a deep dive on fixed blade tuning and came to the conclusion that most people are probably not even coming close to having proficient fixed blade flight. If you want me to elaborate I can tell you what I've found.

Raberd14

FNG
I've shot Exodus for years. Killed deer, elk, and bear with them. They shoot awesome, penetrate great and hold up really well. I'm one of those never expandable kinda guys, especially with bigger animals like elk. Heard a lot of stories of losing animals because mechanicals failed or didn't penetrate. If I lose an animal it better be because I failed, not my equipment. Iron wills are excellent heads btw...

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Being in Idaho makes it and easy choice. Tuning fixed heads isn't super hard once you commit to diving in the rabbit hole. Honestly I have good flight on most heads after bareshaft tuning. ATAC being my favorite head for flight past 60.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
I think you'll find a lot of guys on here that will say if your bow is in tune then any fixed broadheads flies well out to 60-80 before you see drag take a noticable effect. I've heard great things about iron wills and I personally shoot slick trick standards out 80 plus with my field points. If they don't fly well I'd check the tune then the arrows for any flight issues ex broadheads wobbling

Dart368

FNG
I've been shooting two blade rages for awhile now. I'm reevaluating things this year however. I'm going to set my wife up with some iron will heads for elk and her lower energy bow. Just has my wheels turning a little about how much better fixed blades penetrate. I have energy to burn with my draw and poundage, but shots don't always land exactly where they are supposed to.

What do you guys think? Stick with mechanical for the simplicity, or go to fixed? Is it hard to get the iron will head to tune out to 60 yards?

I am sure that I'm the first person to ask this question on here. ;)

I am in the same boat with me and my girlfriend. We both either shoot low poundage or short draw length and came to the conclusion that we would be better to go from mechanical to fixed blade for better penetration, kinetic energy, etc. (A whole new can of worms I don't really want to open up here).

After consideration, I heard the Magnus Stinger is not hard to tune so I am going to give them a try.

NYSKIER

WKR
I am in the same boat with me and my girlfriend. We both either shoot low poundage or short draw length and came to the conclusion that we would be better to go from mechanical to fixed blade for better penetration, kinetic energy, etc. (A whole new can of worms I don't really want to open up here).

After consideration, I heard the Magnus Stinger is not hard to tune so I am going to give them a try.
Can't go wrong with the stingers that's a great head

Pbast81

FNG
The muzzy hybrids are nasty if you want a little of both. I can’t recall the number of kills in the past couple of years between my brother and I but elk and deer both all pass thrus and all died in sight.

S.Clancy

WKR
Basically all fixed broadheads fly well out of a reasonably tuned bow with properly spined arrows. In my experience, if your bow won't shoot fixed heads it's a weak spined arrow that's the culprit

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a COC fixed blade guy. They have never let me down regardless of the bows I've used. 42 - 70 lbs, Compounds to longbows.

Beendare

WKR
BH is just a part of a system. You chose your priorities then decide on a BH design.

I like effortless penetration, animal doesnt know jts been hit.
I like a system j can shoot each arrow to check for perfect flight, then tiuch up and in the quiver.

i also like strong.... and cheap. Thick fixed COC heads work in my system as i can check each one plus reuse lowering my effective cost per head.

——

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Enlighten me... whys that? haha
No expandable heads allowed, no electronics on the bow or arrow including sight lights and lighted nocks. I was blown away when they changed the let off law to allow over 65 % a few years ago. When your choice is limited it forces you to focus on how to get the best performance.

Zac

WKR
No expandable heads allowed, no electronics on the bow or arrow including sight lights and lighted nocks. I was blown away when they changed the let off law to allow over 65 % a few years ago. When your choice is limited it forces you to focus on how to get the best performance.

Where is this lol? I can only imagine the insanity of shops bringing everyone to 65 percent.

Zac

WKR
Idaho I believe. I think some other states have a max of 80% let off as well. MT and CO I think.
Funny part about this is I think it's in theory supposed to benefit the animal, however most people are going to shoot much better with the lower let off.