Switching from pickup to jeep wrangler

ThrottleJ

FNG
Having owned a few wranglers over the years I think they make a better second vehicle than a primary. The quirks can get a little frustrating with daily use.

Personally, I will never be without a truck. Having an 8' bed sure is a luxury as well, especially if you have to do house or yard work, haul gear and sleep in the back, etc.
Jeeps are definitely fun as a play toy! But I think they are often a lot of money for what you get if the goal is a daily driver.

Kdavis44

FNG
I have to agree with everyone else. I have an older 2500HD and a JLUR. Our Jeep is great for around the ranch and weekend vehicle shenanigans, but not fun at highway speeds. Keep a truck for those duties.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I got issued a new 4 door wrangler at work this past summer. I put about 20k on the job miles on it, 10-20% of those on mountain roads.

It was scary above 70 and louder than my 30 year old beater truck at highway speed. Wind noise was raise-your-voice gnarly.

A ton of dust came in through the seams where the roof pops off. I've had bed toppers that were sealed better.

Visibility is bad and the flat windshield seemed to pick up a new crack every week.

Storage wasn't lacking. With rubbermaid action packers you can fill a cube very efficiently.

I had a 4 cylinder. It got 24 mpg, but when it had any kind of load it was gutless to the point of being a liability. I never drove anywhere where I could potentially have to back up uphill, because the Jeep wouldn't make it. To it's credit, it did have very nice low range.

I missed my truck just about every day. To add one more opinion to the stack, I'd only own a jeep if I needed something in between a car and a side by side to beat up close to home.

Mosby

WKR
I was at a Jeep dealer this week in Missouri. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon...$93,435..."sale price". No thanks.

Attachments

• 1633267254537.png
    1633267254537.png
    281 KB · Views: 40

Kdavis44

FNG
I was at a Jeep dealer this week in Missouri. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon...$93,435..."sale price". No thanks.
That is the 392 hemi. I paid under 50k for my rubicon unlimited 6 months ago. It’s a great weekend vehicle, but I wouldn’t drive it every day.

Wrench

WKR
I've been tossing around the idea of moving from my lx450 into a wrangler diesel or a 1500 diesel just to beat around the mountains in. My cruiser is almost perfect and i hate to tear it up....but it has to have a ls or cummins swap to do ehat i want. When fuel is 100 miles away, the cruisers thirst makes it less than ideal.

Wapiti1

WKR
I swapped from a full size to a Jeep Liberty when they offered the diesel in it. It was not a substitute for a pickup, but with a trailer, I managed. When it died from advanced odometer syndrome, I went back to a full size pickup.

I loved that Jeep.

IMG_0037.JPG

Jeremy

Ha. I just peed a little when I saw this. I will keep my money and keep growing wealth while people pay these insane prices for what statistically will be a grocery getter.

I have had 2 grand cherokees. First was a 98 and now a 05. I like their capabilities but they have nothing but electric issues. I have about 180,000 on the grand Cherokee. I will keep it until it dies because it is paid for, can travel the bad roads to our dry cabin, and can “barely” pull my Honda pioneer. I would consider a ranger tremor or Colorado before a jeep just because the low tow ratings. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seay

FNG
I made the jump from a 2016 Chevy Duramax to the
2021 Jeep Gladiator.

I sold my camper and no longer had a need for the diesel but really wanted a Jeep. I’ve had it since March and have 22,000 miles on it.
2” lift
1.75” wheel spacers
35” Nitto tires

Have not regretted the switch even a little.

I have hauled a single axle trailer loaded with 2.5k pounds of corn/protein through the trails/roads of the place I hunt with ease.

The mobility and capability of the mostly factory Jeep on the trails for daily hunting (not aggressive “rock crawling”) has been outstanding.
27dd201f83b10ad613e0ece7da894f65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted a jeep. But I could never make it work into my needs as just more than a toy like an atv. For years I drove a mid or full size SUV. I switched to a crew cab pickup and I really find it works best for me. I am no longer hunting local so long trips on the highway in a nice full size pickup are comfortable And I have room inside and out for all my gear as well as coolers Without being jammed up in the cab.
I am single limited on space so having multiple vehicles isnt the best situation. Neither is storing a small enclosed trailer to pull behind a jeep.
If I did decide to spring for a second vehicle it would likely be a jeep.

Duh

WKR
Starting this back up as I’m looking for some real world experience. Has anyone loaded a jeep wrangler up with 2 quartered up elk? With or without a rear cargo hauler.

I had a Polaris ranger loaded down with two elk last year and it was definitely to much for that machine. I’m looking for more clearance on some very rocky roads and the jeep checks some boxes for me. Room is the major issue though.

Starting this back up as I’m looking for some real world experience. Has anyone loaded a jeep wrangler up with 2 quartered up elk? With or without a rear cargo hauler.

I had a Polaris ranger loaded down with two elk last year and it was definitely to much for that machine. I’m looking for more clearance on some very rocky roads and the jeep checks some boxes for me. Room is the major issue though.
With a 4 door jeep and only two people, you could definitely fit two elk in the back with seats folded down. Best to just remove them. Otherwise, you probably want a reasonably stout rack up top.

Reactions: Duh

Duh

WKR
With a 4 door jeep and only two people, you could definitely fit two elk in the back with seats folded down. Best to just remove them. Otherwise, you probably want a reasonably stout rack up top.
Good to hear. Think I’m going that route instead of the side by side

BFR

WKR
Had 2 whole cow elk (minus lower legs) stuffed in a CJ7, drop down tailgate. Also had 2 cows on a hitch rack on my JK supported by a winch on the roof rack. Both times were problem free on a 70 mile road trip at 65 mph.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider

Go back and look at post 36. You can put an elk in the back of a 4 door with the back seats up and people sitting in them. Seats folded down you would get two in there no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duh

Duh

WKR
Go back and look at post 36. You can put an elk in the back of a 4 door with the back seats up and people sitting in them. Seats folded down you would get two in there no problem.
Not sure how I missed that but thanks! That’s what I’m looking for. Did all that weight load the back end down enough where you would have scrapped rocks coming down a rough road? Or have issues climbing a steep mountain?

This was my issue last year while loaded down. I scraped every rock on the way down the mountain. Some areas I have access to don’t get maintained at all and that side by side got tore up to say the least. Not looking to upgrade side by sides either because I can get a decent jeep for around the same price.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 36