Switching from the Xtherm

R_burg

WKR
As said above you still need a pad with a cot, a cot has no R value.

I sometimes run a thermarest ultralite cot and I have both Neo Airs... A normal XLite and the Xtherm. If I can't sleep I notice I do not hunt nearly as well, so my setup adapts depending on the outing.

I sleep both on side and back, and I think the cot helps a TON when I'm on my side. With the cot I can run less air (albeit at the cost of some R value I presume) and it's much more comfortable when I'm on my side. I always pair a pad with the cot regardless of the temp, as the ability to customize how much cushion I have really helps me sleep and that sleep is worth 12 Oz to me.

Although totally off topic, my next buy is a larger squared-off pad for base camp / car camping when I can use my big cot. I will be sleeping like a king those nights. :)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

TexasCub

WKR
I laid on a lot of pads today at REI and the one tha was most comfortable was the BA Insulated Q-Core Deluxe, man that thing was so much more comfortable than my Xtherm. Only like 3-4 oz penalty.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I laid on a lot of pads today at REI and the one tha was most comfortable was the BA Insulated Q-Core Deluxe, man that thing was so much more comfortable than my Xtherm. Only like 3-4 oz penalty.

I have no trust in BA sleeping pads. I have owned three and all of them leaked.