Switching gears, advice on WY

Ebby

WKR
Previously I was asking for generic info and help with 10 points in WY but now I'm asking for more specific advice. Not on spots or honey holes so bear with me.

I have literally made 100's of calls and texts and emails over the last 2-3 weeks. I have spoken with friends, friends of friends, game wardens, outfitters, ranchers, etc. I feel like I've been given some pretty good and specific info about Unit 7. I have secured some private access but it's a small parcel. However, it makes it much easier to get into some decent sized public areas. I have also spoken with Jake at BHL who is an outfitter in Unit 7 that has been extremely helpful and I will likely pay him for some additional scouting info or possibly just go guided with him. He has gone out of his way to help me. I feel decent about the info I have been given and I think I can have a pretty good hunt there and be into bulls. Up to me to get it done and "that's why they call it hunting". I like the idea of a more DIY type hunt. I can't call it a true DIY since I've gotten a lot of info and help from others but more DIY than a guided hunt for sure. My plan was to get out in August and scout for a week or so mostly to just learn the lay of the land and figure out access and camping and glassing spots and things like that. I will then go back and hunt 7-10 days during archery and I can go back in Oct or Nov if I haven't filled my tag. I'm thinking that I should expect a 300-325" class bull on this hunt with possibility up to 350". Does that sound about right?

My other option is that I have spoken with Josh Martoglio and Tre Heiner and I feel very good about the hunt they offer. I have spoken to lots of outfitters but those guys come with personal recs from friends and I really like what they bring to the table. I think they are more likely to be able to put me on a 320-340" bull with a chance at bigger. The chance at a bigger bull like 350" plus is likely better with either of those guys. Their hunts are expensive but I have a plan for being able to sell some items and pick up some overtime at work and I can probably make it happen. This hunt would be 7 days and likely 9-10 total days gone from home/work so that's better.

With 10 points and the ability to draw either type hunt, what would you do? Am I maximizing my points better with the guided hunts in Park county or will I likely have a quality hunt and more satisfaction with a Unit 7 unguided hunt? Mainly just thinking about the quality of bulls and whether it would be better to hunt Park county?

Thanks again guys.

Lee

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
Just my .02. From my perspective, the quality of the bulls will be comparable in both units. The difference is in what you want from the hunt. The Park Co. hunt will be a wilderness experience, whereas, the unit 7 will not really offer that seclusion type setting/feeling.

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Thanks Steve, hadn't really thought about that aspect of it.

Lee

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm leaning towards doing the Unit 7 hunt. I like the idea of a more DIY type hunt and that fits the bill. Won't be a wilderness type hunt but I will likely spend a few days at a time camping out so that will satisfy that some.

Lee