Switching to rangefinder binoculars

Gonewest

WKR
Who’s switch from binoculars and rangefinder to rangefinder binos?

Are you happy with the switch?

Any pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Id love to switch but waiting for something in 12x50. For rifle hunting I think they are awesome. Archery they seem a bit awkward to me. Also beware of minimum ranges for archery

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Made the switch. All pros, no cons. The arguments against for shooting or rifle hunting are outdated. Using a single device to observe, range, and receive a firing solution is far more efficient than managing 2 or 3+ devices.
+1

handwerk

WKR
I've been using Geovids on and off for 10+ years. At times I had other Leica and Swaro binos, but have always come back to the Geovids, which is where I've stayed the last 4 years and don't see changing.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Thanks for the replies.

I’m running Meopta Meostar 10x42 and Leica 2400r.

Cameralandny is running a sale on the GPO Rangemaster 10x50. I’m really tempted especially being a week away from an antelope hunt.

Do any of you bow hunt?

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to the Zeiss 10x42 RF at the end of last season. Much of the reason I went with Zeiss over Swaro or Leica is the short yardage capability and the range button on the right side for bow hunting (lefties can swap the menu button on the left with the range button on the right). I loved them immediately, and have only come to appreciate the nuances of alpha glass and a top tier rangefinder more as I spend more time in the field with them. Last week I was hunting muleys and it occurred to me that it would now feel incredibly cumbersome to switch back and forth between binos and a separate rangefinder. I can’t really imagine going back. The only very small inconvenience is stalking. I drop everything I can for the stalk, and it’s easier to manage just a rangefinder when creeping in on a bedded animal. But overall the upsides are worth it. Better performance, fewer pieces of gear, and seamless operation. My RFs are probably my favorite piece of hunting equipment.

Tua

FNG
Thinking about making the switch also. One downside is the lack of versatility. I like being able to pair up RF with any single strength/weight optics I want to carry. The vortex fury’s look like great value for $, but obviously not most premium glass. Reviews seem to support quality glass, clarity tho.

HuntnPack

WKR

Any pros and cons?

I tried the ranging binos thinking a single unit might be nice. But It turned out Not to be.
I found I didn’t like the size & weight of the unit to carry & handle.
I found in actual field use I used them in glassing mode as basically a heavy two handed pair of binos for glassing. Then when it came time to utilize them in Rangefinder mode in unison with my rifle & rifle optics in preparation of a potential shot they were essentially a heavy awkward two handed rangefinder. Especially when I get behind my rifle in prone shooting position & required range info while behind the Gun.
This made it a big disadvantage for me. 👎
YRMV.
I have since went back to a separate compact Midweight Binocular for glassing & a small Lightweight handheld Rangefinder.
Works for Rifle or Archery.

Last edited:

Archery, separate units. Rifle, one unit.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Any pros and cons?

as others have said, all pros, no cons. But i do have a cheapo vortex ranger that I prefer to use for bow hunting. I find it's much easier to stealthily use that little guy than get the binos out of my harness unnoticed.

Archery, separate units. Rifle, one unit.

What don't you like about the ranging binoculars for archery?

Whisky

WKR
Too big. It’s a lot harder to use them in and out of a harness due to the size. I can hold a small RF while stalking and easily move it from and too a pocket.

I agree. I tried a combo unit, and one archery elk hunt, I was back to separate units.
For rifle, a combo would work well.

Skippy00

FNG
I'll revive this and chime in with my opinion.

It all depends on what you're using them for. I use either of them 95% of the time for archery and rifle hunting. I have the Vortex Fury HD 5000s and a Leica 2400R. Never had an issue with any of them but I've used the Furys only a handful of times in the field and have since gone back using only the 2400R every time. Here's why:

For archery distances, there is no need for RF binos. My eyes are still good enough that I can see from quite a distance if it's a good buck or not before getting within shooting range to where I would only need a small compact rangefinder to know the exact distance for the shot. Sometimes RF binos can actually be TOO GOOD for these short distances.
Compact Leica RF every time for archery.

For rifle distances, the longest range caliber that I use is 300 win mag. All my scopes are duplex reticles and with properly sighting them in, I can shoot 350 yards before needing to hold-over to compensate for bullet drop and wouldn't trust myself effectively killing any animal with it past 800+/- yards with a VERY clear shot. In most areas I hunt, I would be extremely lucky to get a clear shot on any game past that distance. From my experience, the Leica 2400R can easily handle distances over 1200 yards every single time.
So FOR ME and my needs, the Leica RF every time for rifle hunting.

Smaller, lighter, and does exactly what I need every single time. At a fraction of the cost to RF binos.

Combos certainly have their place, especially with target and/or long range shooting of any kind.

But there isn't any advantage RF binos have over a stand alone RF for my hunting needs.

None of this statement is factual, just my personal opinion from self experiences.

Last edited:

bradb

WKR
I have both and prefer separate when hunting for myself bow or rifle. Not even close for me. If I am helping someone else I like the bino rf combo

Lwing

FNG
cons? I use different binos for the situation, from swaro compacts to zeiss 15x56, neither of those come in rangefinding models.
Technology is advancing so fast, rangfinders get outdated, still fine for most hunting situations, but I can’t ever see myself buying a buillt in rangefinder when ive upgraded my rangefinder 4x and been impressed with the advancements each time.
No way I can afford to upgrade my binos every few years