Switchweight and Arrow Weight Question

Wahooo03

FNG
I've only been shooting a bow for a year but have been happy with the used Vertix I picked up last winter. Tagged my first archery buck this fall. Learned a lot from everyone here.

My draw length is 28.5" and I'm currently shooting 60# mods locked down (so ~62#?). I shoot 60# easily and so my bowshop sold me 70# mods as well as 12 new Axis Match arrows (29" C2C - 300 spine). It turns out, I'm more comfortable shooting at/around 65# especially from odd positions. It just fits better.

Two questions:

1. If I'm going to stay around 65#, should I drop the coin on the 65# mods (and feed the Mathews machine) or stick with 70's backed down ~1.5 turns?

2. OT2Go says I am overspined at 65# with the Axis 300 spine and a 100 gr head (441 gr. TAW). I hunt blacktails and hogs currently. I haven't had a chance to shoot the 300s at any kind of significant distance but they group well close in. Is there any reason I shouldn't stick with them? I could always add a collar upfront I supposed to increase weight/FOC.

I shoot the same draw length and weight as you. I don’t think it’s going to really matter if you switch mods. Technically a bow performs best maxed out but most people probably wouldn’t notice.
Arrows- you are over spined but that’s better then under. I would just shoot them and see how they fly and group at longer ranges. If they aren’t grouping well you could but some 125-150 grain field point and use those to test out how adding point weight effects the flight before you mess around with anything else.

Zac

WKR
Just have your shop switch the mods for you. You should be able to swap them for no charge. I would have spent a fortune on mods if I would have bought every set I ever used.

It's not going to matter much if you get 65# mods or use the 70's backed off.

I doubt you will have trouble tuning even with the stuff spine, could always run a 125 head with a collar too. Adding 50 grains is about like 6#.

P Carter

WKR
I’d say you’re probably good on the spine. Due to an unfortunate nerve issue this summer I had to back down from 70 lbs to 62ish lbs. I was shooting axis 300s with 125 grain points. Was worried that I’d be overspined but they still shot very well, including with broadheads.

OP
W

Wahooo03

FNG
Just have your shop switch the mods for you. You should be able to swap them for no charge. I would have spent a fortune on mods if I would have bought every set I ever used.
That's a great idea. I just reached out to them.

Reactions: Zac