SxS Bring it or Leave it

Bring it or Leave it

• Total voters
I have been reading as many posts as possible over the last few months and just wanted to THANK the people who post on a regular basis giving good info to get prepared for the upcoming Elk Season!!! It really feels like crunch time for getting ready to head out to the Colorado Archery Elk Season. I have been scouting alot of maps, buying better lighter gear, exercising with my backpack every day possible, shooting my bow a ton, and setting up a brand-new camper trailer for hunting. I have been out west before on a couple mule deer hunts and one rifle elk hunt when I was younger that was unsuccessful. Getting older now and it feels like if I don't start trying to accomplish shooting a bull Elk with my bow now, it might never happen. I'm still fairly young but a knee surgery and shoulder surgery are starting to effect my ability to chase Elk. Our plan is get on the road early and scout for at least 2 days before the start of the season. Then hunt for 14 days jumping around as much as needed to try to locate or stay on Elk. We are going into this with expectations of just having fun and learning the ropes for the next few years to come. With us heading to new places never been seen before with a camper trailer , do you think we should bring our Honda side by side for nasty roads or possible four wheeler trails ?? If I can cut some time off a hike or get farther up a road with it and save my knee it will be worth it.... But if it will never get used it will be alot of weight to haul around. Thanks again for all your posts that will hopefully get us within bow range of an Elk this season!!! And Good luck these upcoming seasons!!!

kman87

FNG
If you can pull it to camp, I'd def take it. If you're in new country it could save some time and if you're successful it could def help w any meat hauling you can legally drive it to. Just keep it on designated trails please! :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Some roads are best for an atv, bring it but use it sparingly. Trucks are quieter but atv can get you along some narrow rough roads a truck can not go easily.

LaHunter

WKR
Bring it. Could be a difference maker depending on your location. Some FS roads can be pretty rough and nasty. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

As stated above, ATVs can get you down some of the smaller roads better and without having to know where the width restriction roads begin/end. The past few years I've parked the truck on the main road and used the ATV to get around the mountain roads/trails. Seems like its more cost efficient to repair an ATV rather than beat up a $50k truck, just my .02

davsco

WKR
first elk hunt last october in first rifle nw colo. i couldn't get to the higher elevations in my 4wd pickup because some of the roads turned to complete crap. honestly i'm not sure chains would have made a meaningful diff. but i'm sure i coulda gotten up them on my quad.

the prob is the pickup bed was chock full of gear (and then some...) so having a quad in there would limit gear even with some on top of the quad. and i'm pretty leery of trailering it out there, just don't want to get to a spot where i cannot turn around. still trying to figure it out...

first elk hunt last october in first rifle nw colo. i couldn't get to the higher elevations in my 4wd pickup because some of the roads turned to complete crap. honestly i'm not sure chains would have made a meaningful diff. but i'm sure i coulda gotten up them on my quad.

the prob is the pickup bed was chock full of gear (and then some...) so having a quad in there would limit gear even with some on top of the quad. and i'm pretty leery of trailering it out there, just don't want to get to a spot where i cannot turn around. still trying to figure it out...

This is where I’m at with the side by side have it and a trailer but not sure about parking a trailer and not getting in a bad spot. Could always use the sxs to get the trailer out I suppose and the trailer is small and light enough I could unhook and spin it around by my self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
If it is more than 50" wide it is not allowed on most forest service "trails," is OK on forest service "roads." Reference the Forest Service MVUM map for whichever national forest you choose for details on which is which. Good luck this fall.

I would bring it. I park my truck just off the better roads down low and use my Ranger to get about 15 more miles in on the "roads" the pack in from there. There are guys who drive these roads with their trucks but it will beat them up pretty bad. I can go much faster in my SxS without the damage to my truck.

Depends on the area. Some areas I shot a lot of elk in were accessed to the trailhead in my Honda Civic Wagon. Other areas I would put 60 miles a day on my quad that would have beaten the snot out of my truck. As you learn your area you can make an intelligent decision. Look at the topography, elevation change and amount of Switchbacks etc. The rougher it is the more likely the SxS is useful. Flat means your truck will work ok in many cases. Good
Luck!

Rmauch20

WKR
Bring it if you got room. Been a few areas where you couldn’t get a pickup within a mile of the trailhead. Not a huge deal but it might save you time and tearing up your vehicle .

OP
Whitetail Ridge Runner
Here is the rig I will be hauling, still alot of work to be done on it. All the work getting ready for the hunt is half the fun !!! I will show another one of it completed. I would rather sleep in this then a tent but I'll do whatever it takes.IMG_20190721_200316804.jpg

Last edited:

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the rig I will be hauling, still alot of work to be done on it. All the work getting ready for the hunt is half the fun !!! I will show another one of it completed. I would rather sleep in this then a tent but i will do whatever it ta

Smart! I've got a few friends that run something similar and sleep in the trailer at night. In bear country, it adds a little security.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Wish we had a sxs to take. I run a 4wheeler about 12 miles one way and literally freeze to death. Be aware there will be tons of trails it is not allowed. But I would want it for the rough main roads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk