Synthetic bag for sheep season in AK: 0 or 20 degree; what’s your preference and why?

Let me start off by saying I know many people will say to go with down and that’s what I did last year. I never had a problem with it getting wet and/or jeopardizing my well being in any way, but it was always at the back of my mind. I like the idea of the security a synthetic bag provides. So I’m pretty decided on going with a synthetic and I’ve narrowed down my choice to a kifaru slick bag in wide, my predicament is either a 0 or 20 degree bag. I’m 5’11” about 190 lbs and like the freedom of movement the wide version provides (yes I’ve tested out and slept in a wide and regular version).

Long winded-explanation, but what I’m trying to get at is which degree rating do the more experienced AK sheep hunters prefer and why? I’m not looking for this to turn into a sleeping bag suggestion thread, but simply which degree rating of synthetic bag do you prefer and why.

This year I’ll be going for the season opener, so early season.

I tend to sleep a little in the cold side. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking on leveraging my gear I’ll already have (puffy pants, puffy jacket, soft shell pants, etc) to bolster the rating of a 20 degree bag to let me go with a lighter bag. It just makes me a little apprehensive to do that in case there was an extended cold snap and I have nothing else to add to warm up at night if needed. Who’s run into this before, what did you decide to do and why?

The bag will be used in conjunction with a thermarest neoair xlite or xtherm. If I go with the 0 degree bag I’d take the xlite to save a little weight l, whereas if I go with a 20 degree bag I’d take the xtherm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used 15 or 20F bags for August sheep season. I don't even sub the xtherm in until closer to Sept. 0F would be overkill in my mind for all but the latest of late season hunts.

"Extended" cold snaps don't really happen in early August. You might get a skiff of snow at night, but it's unlikely to be long term thing with the possible exception of the Brooks Range.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
Put me down as a 20F man. I’ve worried myself into a synthetic bag on a couple of hunts. Glad to have one in SE AK hunting goats one snowy Sept. I was really impressed with the Slick bag that year.
Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been using a 20* down quilt and Xlite pad from Aug through October, but moving to a 30* synthetic quilt and Xtherm pad for this season. I always find I'm plenty warm on top if I eliminate drafts, but often get cold from the ground when the temps dip to freezing.

You’ve definitely left yourself with a bunch of good options. While they weren’t sheep hunts, I’ve been to mid September in Alaska and been very comfortable with a 20* bag and my outerwear as insurance for colder nights. That’s the route I’d choose, and this is key, as long as you still have adequate room wearing your puffy to still be comfortable. I also packed a lightweight set of down booties, as my feet are the 1st to get cold.

OP
back country
Lots of good replies and perspectives on the subject. Thanks to all who’ve responded. I think I’m leaning toward the 20* bag.

ColeyG

WKR
Definitely 20. I haven't seen temps in sheep country colder than that in August before, especially early August, but I am sure it happens. I have been snowed on just about every August trip, but low temps at typical camping elevations usually arent that far below freezing.. 0 degree syn bags are pretty substantial in terms of both weight and bulk. I like my sub-two pound Feathered Friends Hummingbird down bag for sheep hunts personally. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Given the two options for bag and pad, I would say 20 degree and Xlite. Even given that you're a cold sleeper, I would think that that combo would be totally adequate for an early season sheep hunt. If you did get into some unseasonably cold temps, you could always supplement with some clothing.

Stickeen

FNG
All the above comments make me feel better about my 20 deg. bag purchase. Couldn't bring myself to switch to down or a quilt. Went with the Marmot Ultra Elite weighing in at an even 2 lbs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For the past 2 years I used a kifaru slick bag 20 degree. It worked just fine and served me well but this year I decided to order up a western mountaineering badger MF 15 degree. To be clear I don’t really care about that 5 degrees I get with the badger, I was fine with the 20 degree slick but the badger is wider all around, I’ve got wide shoulders/back from spending lots of time in the gym and wanted a comfortable bag.

I went with the WM bag for a few reasons, firstly I never ended up with a soaked synthetic bag, secondly I wanted more compressibility and wanted to save just a bit of weight since my new rent added weight to my setup.

On another forum somebody said 15 degree bags were the 30-06 or sleeping bags, I’d tend to agree.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you referring to the regular width or wide slick bag?

Sorry I should have been more clear, my slick bag is a long/wide version but I decided I wanted to go with a down bag and since I was looking for no compromise top of the line I wanted a WM bag, I chose the badger because they make it wide so i can move around in it if I want.

I didn’t buy the WM because I wanted a wider bag, I bought that specific WM bag because I wanted a down bag that was nice and wide.

OP
back country
Thanks for clarifying. I’ve looked at the badger MF also in the past. Definitely a nice wide bag.

I’ve got a versalite as well but it’s not quite as roomy as the badger.