Synthetic bag question for a newbie

We are planning a colorado archery hunt. I was planning on getting a 20 degree bag. I've been looking at mountain hardware. My question is, will all synthetic bags still keep you warm when wet or is that an advantage of climashield like kifaru uses. I want to get a good bag but am also on a budget. All is pretty new to me just putting my system together.

bounds

WKR
Yes. All synthetic insulation will still insulate when wet... but to varying degrees. Climashield Apex, Primaloft and other top shelf options will most likely do the best job. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a centralized test/parameter that measures the warmth value/rating when wet. So, you can't really compare the effectiveness when wet other than the manufacturers stated values.

oldgoat

WKR
You can't go wrong with the slick bag from Kifaru, between the Rhino Skin and Apex insulation it should last you the rest of your life. It's also fairly light for a synthetic bag. The resale value of Kifaru gear almost makes it the no brainer way to go! If you don't like it or need it anymore and take care of it, you can get back a lot larger percentage of your money selling it on the classifieds than you can other brands!

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. All synthetic insulation will still insulate when wet... but to varying degrees. Climashield Apex, Primaloft and other top shelf options will most likely do the best job. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a centralized test/parameter that measures the warmth value/rating when wet. So, you can't really compare the effectiveness when wet other than the manufacturers stated values.

I believe you are correct. That'd be nice information to have though.

I'd lean toward a synthetic bag as well. But honestly, it'll depend on what type of shelter you're using. Tell us more about your shelter... Synthetic is obviously heavier and not as compressible, but it works when it's wet. Down is usually more expensive but compresses better and is usually lighter...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
continuous fiber materials like Apex will generally fair better with moisture, but make no mistake a wet synthetic sleeping bag will suck big time regardless

your body produces a lot of moisture and the longer the trip, the more impact you will see on loft- this is where syn shines over down, not dunked in a river crossing or soaked in a heavy rain- you're screwed in either case, regardless of insulation- the stuff is not magical :)

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd keep an eye out for a slick bag from Kifaru. Grab that, some tyvek and a sleeping pad. That with your MS LT will make a great setup.

dog812

WKR
Five years ago I bought a $100 synthetic marmot 15 bag...it has been everywhere, all different temperatures, I've never been cold. I hunt about 40 days a year all over northern b.c..
I don't really see the need to spend $500 or more on a bag to save a pound. One day I'll have to jump in a slick bag and see what the fuss is.
It all depends on your budget I guess.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
You can't go wrong with the slick bag from Kifaru, between the Rhino Skin and Apex insulation it should last you the rest of your life. It's also fairly light for a synthetic bag. The resale value of Kifaru gear almost makes it the no brainer way to go! If you don't like it or need it anymore and take care of it, you can get back a lot larger percentage of your money selling it on the classifieds than you can other brands!

Synthetic insulation loses its temperature rating over the years..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk