Synthetic boot for the tundra?

thillman

FNG
Ive been rocking the Asolo neutrons for quite few years now. It's an all synthetic, gtx boot. Headed to AK in late September for a caribou hunt. Wondering what people think about a synthetic boot for the tundra over a leather boot?

Thanks.

There will eventually be a day when synthetic-built boots will be the preferred thing for serious outdoors people. You can bank on it. Leather will not go away but the problems it has with water, break-in, sealing, conditioning, etc will relegate it to old school status.

I'm not a boot expert so can't advise anyone on current synthetic vs leather boot choices for the tundra. I can confidently say this: If I knew my boots would be exposed to watery conditions every day, I would not prefer leather if a better choice existed.

Roughneck

FNG
i hunted up off Denali Highway for caribou near the Swanson River area several times. i always ran Crispi boots both the Guide GTX and Colorado GTX plus wore gaiters cause that muskeg can be brutal.

jhm2023

WKR
It's the tundra, you're feet will get wet one way or another regardless of synthetic or leather. Use quality gaiters such as the OR crocs, bring a couple pairs of spare socks and a pair of goretex socks too. The goretex socks allow you to keep your socks dry while you still wear the inevitable wet boots.

Classic Ford VS Chevy. The non-negotiables are Gaitors and Ankle support you can count on. Waterproof whatever you decide before heading out, pack extra socks and have a great time.

mooster

WKR
Ive used Salomon Trek boots for over a week in wet deep tundra and never experienced wet socks. I was able to mostly dry them next to a stove at night. Love their lite weight and comfort level. I did have Wiggy's for stream crossings.

Brendan

WKR
You might try these depending on where you were going. Fit didn't work great for me though, too much heel slip.

I hunted late September in AK this year near the Brooks range and it wouldn’t have mattered what kind of boots you were in. Single digits at night- mid 20s during the day. The tundra was frozen solid the entire 7 or so days we were in the field.

Catfish

FNG
How stiff would you say those are ??

Thanks...doesn't seem to be much info out there on these
They are pretty stiff. They are designed to be mountaineering boots, which gives great stability at the ankle for uneven terrain. That said, I have found them to be very comfortable. I wear them for all purpose hunting and on flat terrain. I wore them all through turkey season this year. They are light, comfortable and waterproof, pretty much all you can ask for in any boot.

Also, because they are synthetic, when they get wet they do not retain water and increase the weight like leather boots.