Synthetic Glassing Puffy

Kostrize

WKR
With all the threads on Rokslide about down insulated glassing jackets, I was wondering everyone’s thoughts on the best warm stationary synthetic options on the market. Most of the info I’ve found on here for synthetic is for lightweight active pieces, which is understandable. l’m looking for something in the same durability and warmth category as the ECWCS Level 7 jacket but with more modern materials. A parka type jacket meant to go over a soft shell and active insulation. The more I listen to John Barklow, the more I want the security of a fast drying, warm-when-wet insulation. I understand the bulk and long term degradation and appreciate the thread on that topic.

Most of the jackets I’ve found are climbing belay type jackets, like the Black Diamond Belay Parka, Rab Nebula Pro, and Outdoor Research Colossus. I don’t think the Kifaru LPP or Arcteryx Atom AR is quite warm enough for me. I was looking at Nunatak before they discontinued their Apex option.

I appreciate any input

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah one of Jan's jackets in 5.0 oz Apex would fit the bill, but sadly he's only doing down now. Too bad Enlightened Equipment didn't offer their jacket in different weight Apex- they make a nice jacket, but it's strictly a summer jacket.

I'm glad I snagged two jackets and a pair of pants before he went away from Apex. Maybe someone will step in and fill the void, but I don't know of anyone at the moment.

I don't think the a Level 7 parka would be too bad a bet, the Primafloft stuff is warm- just doesn't have longevity of Apex, but if you could find one at decent price point, might be worth considering

Yeah one of Jan's jackets in 5.0 oz Apex would fit the bill, but sadly he's only doing down now. Too bad Enlightened Equipment didn't offer their jacket in different weight Apex- they make a nice jacket, but it's strictly a summer jacket.

I'm glad I snagged two jackets and a pair of pants before he went away from Apex. Maybe someone will step in and fill the void, but I don't know of anyone at the moment.

I don't think the a Level 7 parka would be too bad a bet, the Primafloft stuff is warm- just doesn't have longevity of Apex, but if you could find one at decent price point, might be worth considering
Supposedly Timmermade makes 3.6 oz apex jacket. I think that is the heaviest I'm aware of now.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one in 2.5 and 3.6, I've found the 3.6 to be pretty warm for glassing- it's typically layered over a base layer and mid-layer (and often under a windshirt). If it's really cold (or long periods) I have a 2.5 Apex quilt that I drape over everything.

I know a few guys bought Jan's jacket with 5 oz in the torso and 3.6 in the sleeves, guessing that was a pretty nice combo too.

Probably couldn't hurt to chat with Timmermade on a warmer jacket if that's what a guy wanted.

Back to the top in case there is still interest in the topic and to add to the favorable recommendation for Nunatak. Most off the shelf stuff is not in the same league as Nunatak's Apex gear in terms of either warmth or weight. My dead bird synthetics aren't even close to the Nunatak for warmth or weight, plus their loft has seriously degraded over the years because they were not using Apex.

I concur that a Nunatak Apex Jacket in either 3.6 or 5.0 oz would serve as a good glassing "puffy". Be sure to include a hood. Mine is a Pullover with Kangaroo pocket, and I think that is a warmer for weight design.

Mine is/was the Nunatak Apex Skaha (name has since changed) in two configurations. One is 3.6 oz with 4 inches extra length, the other is the lighter version with perhaps 2 inches extra length. Both are phenomenal. I only recently received the lighter one and haven't put it through its paces. The heavier set is for Fall hunting, the lighter one for spring / summer backpacking in the PNW. I highly recommend this garment. I am very pleased with how the jacket worked out.

I also have matching 3.6 pants but would not order them with full zips again. Short zips are probably a better idea in most cases. The full zips are bulky, heavy, and at the margin probably hinder insulate capacity. Unless there is a lot of mud, I think it would be fairly easy to slip on the pants over boots with a partial zip on the leg.

Think about the system, not just the jacket.
My view is that for glassing, adding Apex pants (and a pad) really helps. A 1/4 inch or even 1/8 inch thick evazote pad.

I also purchased a set of Enlightened Equipment Apex jacket and pants for my son, using EE because of Nunataks "down period" on Apex garment construction. They are nice enough, and less expensive - and often on sale - but as Mt.Warden notes, EE doesn't offer the heavier insulation options provided by Nunatak. For warmth and options I prefer Nunatak. Also subjectively, for some reason I like the Nunatak jacket better than the EE version, but the pants seem pretty similar.

I also have an Apex "Spirit" quilt made by MLD and find it surprisingly warm for the thickness of insulation and weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see the option for Robic 7d on Nunatak's site, I wonder if it's become unavailable? That fabric is very wind resistant and almost waterproof, which adds to it's overall warmth and usefulness,

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
I have a parka from Beyond Clothing (US made in Seattle). Apex insulation. Awesome piece. Spendy, but you can get it 40% off if patient.

A7 Jacket

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ had never seen that jacket before; wish they would list the weight of the Apex they use- guessing pretty heavy based on their listed weight, based on weight- guessing pretty bomber fabric as well.

Jimbob

WKR
I have the Black Diamond Belay jacket. I love it as it fits perfectly, is VERY warm, and was cheap. However, it is big bulky and heavy. I am planning on bringing it hunting when I do a winter goat hunt.