Synthetic GTX Boots - How to maintain waterproofing?

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question. I typically pick up a pair of Salomon 4d Quest GTX boots for each CO elk season as the waterproofing / gore tex wears off after 1 season of use. Last year, I had a buddy join us and even his brand new Crispis were no match for the tall, wet grass and occasional rainstorm.

Any tips on how to keep your boots water-resistant? I upped my game this year and bought some Hanwag Makras and I'd love to use these boots for the next couple of years.

Thanks guys

Poser

WKR
I just got a resole on a pair of leather GYX lined boots that have seen 6 CO hunting seasons with no leaks. I condition and retreat them regularly.

TheGDog

WKR
Gotta redo hitting them up with Scotch-Guard Waterproofing spray. I also do the Salomon 4D Quest GTX. 1st Pair lasted me 3 years. 2nd pair, was upsetting because the sole got compromised fairly soon in the same rocky ascent I do all along. Didn't wanna trust my repair, so I use those for recreational hikes only and I went for a lesser grade Synthetic version on sale at SG to replace them. Seems to be doing just as fine and slightly less hotter to wear in the hot months.

Wrench

WKR
Gaiters. I've had 1 pair of boots leak in my life. I've had a bunch that quit breathing and sweat up. Gore warrants the liner....look into the warranty.

It's not a one and done thing with the waterproofing. I applied Crispi waterproofing to my Crispi Hunters (two coats) before I even wore them the first hunt. After the hunt, I cleaned them, then treated them again. They have remained waterproof. My Salomon Quests were also treated before using, but they still seemed to leak. Salomons are not known for their waterproofness. I have three pair, and I don't wear them when we are expecting rain,.

OP
Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
@Wrench - Good call on the warranty. I'll have to look into that. I also wear heavy-duty gators but after trudging through tall, wet grass every morning and a couple rain showers, nothing seems to keep the dampness out. I'm going to look into treating and conditioning this new pair of Hanwags

I treat my Salomon boots with Obenaufs watershield spray. Seems to make the water bead up and prevent the fabric from wetting through.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I had pretty wet feet in my 4d in the grass last week so I added gaiters today, and they weren't soaked, but were damp. I did step on a screw my 3rd step out of the car so that probably didn't help. Doesn't explain the other boot. May have to give another boot a shot

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I treat leather with a conditioner cream, the synthetic part gets sprayed with a nikwax spray, and wear gaiters to help project the boot from over saturation

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk