synthetic Insulation??

sr80

WKR
Not me, usually there's something new in the market that I have to try and sell last years jacket. Just got the uncomphrage. Also bought the sitka Kelvin light hoody a few weeks ago. Might be selling that one off.

Has any one found (as the article indacated) your synthetic cashed out after a year or two?

Depends on how much I use it, but yeah.. the insulation loses it's "new" pretty fast, but is still perfectly usable for 2-3 years depending on how much I'm wearing that particular piece. Usually I decide it's finally too thin and lumpy about the same time the shell gets rotten and starts falling apart in a bad way. I've do have one vest that is going on 5 or 6 years old, but it isn't anywhere near as warm as it used to be.

If you are looking for a hunting specific camo piece that only gets used one week a year, it may last forever. But for a regular wear jacket for someone spends considerable time outdoors in colder weather... they do have a finite lifespan.

Yk

My 1st year Kelvins are holding up fine but I don't compress em when packing em.

I suspect that insulation degradation has almost nothing to do with occasional compression in a pack, and lots to do with the constant movement of daily wear. Like I said, use them rarely and they will last forever. Wear them 100 days a year, and expect to buy replacements regularly.

Yk

I have both the Sitka super down and the kelvin light hoodie, love them both. The super down is exactly what they call it - a sleeping bag. If you want something to put on while glassing or at camp and you want to stay as warm as possible, buy this. The kelvin lite hoodie is a warm piece that compresses better and is lighter, they both have their place.

If I had to pick one, I would never give up the down hoody. It's an incredibly warm piece of clothing that could keep you warm in crazy cold temps.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an old thread..but has anybody tried the ORIGINAL KUIU "Spindrift" Jacket? I wear this with my Original KUIU Guide vest underneath..pretty damn warm!

It's only 13.5 ounce Spindrift Jacket is made with a 40-Denier Ripstop, *PrimaLoft® ONE insulation 100% Polyester Micro-Fabric designed to be warm, light and packs in it's own pocket..and it's also MADE IN CANADA!!!!

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys
I am after a new insulation jacket. I have been using the Kuiu super down and found it to be very light and thats about all it is. It is not warm enough(has about 12 feathers in the whole jacket haha) and I seem to allways end up wet or damp.
I am looking at possibly:
Kifaru parka
Sitka Kelvin jacket
Sitka Kelvin lite hoody
Anything else I should be looking at??

I want a durable warm jacket that functions in wet climates that will hopefully last me longer than a down jacket. I found down just falls out very quickly.
Weight,bulk and color are down the list.

Thanks

Hey I know this is an old thread, but what did you decide to go with? Kifaru, KUIU or Sitka? I noticed nobody mentioned the Original made in Canada "Spindrift" jacket which has primaloft ONE insulation and packs down into it's own pocket..I find it to be pretty warm, especially with a KUIU Guide vest (made in Canada) underneath! I commented on this old thread hoping to revive it to see what everyone is using now in the field and actually does what it is intended..anyways I hope all is well with you and your family and just curious to see what you ended up going with..thx

ccarter

FNG
I finally bit the bullet and spent the money on a custom Nunatak jacket with Climashield Apex. It's hooded, full zip version with 5.0 oz in the body, 3.6 in the sleeves, and 2.5 in the hood. Wore it last year in Utah and New Mexico in November, and really liked it. Weighs about 20 oz. Highly recommend taking a look at them.

ckstites

FNG
Make sure you wear a merino wool base layer -
top and bottom - it will make an unbelievable difference!
Minus 33 makes great stuff!