Synthetic/Merino Blend Base Layers

The stone glacier rewarming drill got me to thinking about base layers. I've a;ways liked wool because it doesn't stink. But now I want my base layers to be as thin as possible and to dry as quickly as possible. This has me hunting for a different set of criteria in base layers. I have had miserable luck with polygiene in any format, so full synthetic is a no go. I can't stand my stench after a day and a half in a synthetic shirt, let alone a week...

I'm searching for the thinnest wool/snyth blend that sits close to 50:50 wool/synth, and comes in full length bottoms (Why on earth does First Lite not have their Wick aerowool configured as a full length bottom, btw? They'd be exactly what I want if they had this).

What are some other currently produced blends that meet my requirements?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most popular blends are 70/30 I've never seen 50/50 at some point you lose the benefits of the wool.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Most popular blends are 70/30 I've never seen 50/50 at some point you lose the benefits of the wool.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I just want something closer to 50/50. The only benefit of wool I care about is the antimicrobial activity. First Lite Aerowool is something like 65/35 and I like it. They just don't have full length bottoms. What are the 70/30 blends you know of?

ericF

WKR
I just want something closer to 50/50. The only benefit of wool I care about is the antimicrobial activity. First Lite Aerowool is something like 65/35 and I like it. They just don't have full length bottoms. What are the 70/30 blends you know of?

Sounds like what you want is the Kuiu Pro Merino. No experience with this specific item, but if you haven't used their baselayers before, the full zip on/off is pretty damn nice. I don't think I will ever buy another set of bottom baselayers that don't zip on and off.

53% Merino / 38% Polyester / 9% Nylon

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/pants-sho...m/22002.html?dwvar_22002_color=Charcoal&cgid=

OldGrayJB

WKR
I think the Blackovis lightweight merinos are 50% merino. Camofire has some today, but the bottoms are midweight.

Canis Athlete lightweight (Tahr) stuff is 60% merino.

Last edited:

RedRidge

WKR
After reading the sticky on the static rewarming drill, watching this one, and another Sitka Dynamic test, itt really makes you think about your clothes. Yes I agree that there are times when it is probably not too big of a concern, but talk about confidence building. Despite the clothing options, I think folks on here just hearing what you need to make priority in this situation is worth the watch.

Trumpkin, I'm in for options as well. Post up if you find what your looking for.

After reading the sticky on the static rewarming drill, watching this one, and another Sitka Dynamic test, itt really makes you think about your clothes. Yes I agree that there are times when it is probably not too big of a concern, but talk about confidence building. Despite the clothing options, I think folks on here just hearing what you need to make priority in this situation is worth the watch.

Trumpkin, I'm in for options as well. Post up if you find what your looking for.

Lightweight Pati or OR would be great as confirmed in the rewarming tests with synthetic being very good.