Synthetic or Down bag?

Down user here. Marmot helium membrane. Has been going strong in all seasons / weather for 4 years maybe now, maybe 5. Have used it in a tarp with bug bivy and regular tent with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I still use a north face down bag my brother gave me when I was about 14, now 58. Never had an issue, I would like more room as I toss and turn a lot, but the bags been through hell and still going.

Down in every season. But buy some Tenacious tape to patch the holes and keep them lil feathers from poking out.

I have done all my backpacking in the Rocky Mountains, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have never once wish I had a synthetic bag. Not in any season. I have had the same Marmot Pinnacle bag, a mid-range 800-fill (untreated) down bag, since I got it as a high school graduation present in the mid-2000's. It is still going strong.

For me, the longevity of down is every bit as much as a selling point as its light weight and how compressible it is. I have heard that a certain brand of synthetic bags have good longevity (miraculous longevity if you listen to the owner), but if that's true it's because they use tough and very heavy fill.

kpbrown31

FNG
What kind of life can you expect out of a down fill bag if you obviously take care of it? Curious just how long you all keep using your bags I guess.

Kronos

FNG
What kind of life can you expect out of a down fill bag if you obviously take care of it? Curious just how long you all keep using your bags I guess.
20+ years. Down doesn’t lose its loft unless it’s mistreated. It could theoretically last you a lifetime if properly taken care of.

orion_

FNG
Not to resurrect a thread, but why not both?

Here's an excellent description of the merits of layering down and synthetics, alongside a few ultralight tips for increasing warmth.
http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.com/2021/05/breakdown-my-2021-sleeping-systems-for.html?m=1

Ultimately, how long your gear lasts theoretically should depend on how well you treat it, but zippers and nylon will probably wear worse than the insulation... But just learn how to fix them in the field :)

Matt G.

WKR
Question for you all. I am in the market as well but am looking at a treated and untreated down. I read that untreated down lasts longer and keeps loft. However I watched the SG water cooler video where the person dunks into stream fully clothing and jump into sleeping bag. Would untreated down work? I know this is an extreme test but I can see accidently falling in a backcountry stream and not bring able to start a fire... thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk