Synthetic or Down bag?

Since you are new, welcome to the forums.

There are tons of discussions about this very topic. They can easily be found using the Search function.

You may want to read them and then if you have any additional questions, then ask them.

When i made the decision i kind of came to the conclusion that if your dumb or have less experience and have any chance at getting you or your bag wet synthetic is the safer optionsince it can dry you at and keep you warm regaurdless. but if your experienced and hunt dry places and know how to keep your stuff dry down might be a lighter and kind of warmer option. Im in the forst boat so i went synthetic with no regrets

Peregrine1

WKR
Classified Approved

Rokwiia

WKR
Buying a new bag, what’s everyone’s opinion on down vs synthetic?
I'll chirp in by saying in cold weather....I choose both. If I am going to be overnight when it is 20F or colder, I prefer to use two moderately-rated bags rather than one really-cold-rated bag. Why?

As your body produces moisture at night, it travels into your down bag. When it reaches the outer layer next to the cold air, it can cause the moisture in the down to freeze. Now you could be in trouble.

In contrast, I layer a synthetic bag on top of my down bag. As the moisture travels, it goes from the down to the synthetic bag and into it. When it reaches the cold air outside the synthetic bag, it may freeze as well. The difference is that synthetic material performs better than down in a wet/cold environment.

To calculate the insulating value of two bags, I think the formula is x = y-(70F-(70F-zF)/2). y=warmest rated bag and z equals to coldest rated bag. For example, if you have two bags, a 40F and a 20F bag, by combining you get a rating of 5F calculated as follows: x= 20F-(70F-40F/2) or x = 20F-15F or x=5F.

Kronos

FNG
Down… carry it in a waterproof stuff sack. Any moisture it might see inside a working tent it can handle.

Synthetic is big, heavy, bulky, and loses its insulation value over time.

zscott

FNG
Like others have said, Down. The only time I use my synthetic bags is car camping with the kids and dogs when I am looking for something that can handle the abuse. Otherwise, synthetic is too heavy and doesn't pack well.

ybeaudoin

FNG
Down, 900 fill with extra stuffing( if you are ordering made in usa and custom. The extra stuffing will take the humidity of the tent better for a couple of days on multi day back pack.

The compression of 900 fill is superior, so less space in the backpack and simply invest in a light weight, Dyneema drybag from Z pack and your sleeping bag will always be dry!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just took a versailite to alaska and was a little worried about the moisture from my bag hitting the tent but it did amazing. I love how much less space they take up in my pack as well

I've used a 0 degree synthetic bag from Kifaru and a 0 degree Western Mountaineering bag and I will never use anything other than the WM MF Badger and MF Kodiak that I have. The kifaru bag was great and I had no issues with it but I just feel more comfortable and sleep a bit warmer in the WM bags.

I would agree with the statement that if you know what you're doing, a WM MF series bag is perfectly adequate for high moisture areas. I would add that I only hunt in 5-7 day chunks so longer extended hunts in high moisture areas might be a different story and require synthetic.

Last edited:
Confession: I'm a sleeping bag snob and not apologizing for it. I have well over 40 years of experience with good down bags in many different environments and conditions, and have had exactly NO problems with them ever. I love the weight, warmth and coziness of a fine down bag. There has never been a time when I wished for a synthetic bag, including one particular hunt where the weather was horrifically wet, stormy and frankly dangerous for several consecutive days.

I recall many years back when a blowhard on a different forum basically advocated exclusively for his brand of synthetic bag and identified anyone opposed as either ignorant or an idiot. The bags he pushed were okay of course, but the entire narrative of "down bags will get you killed" was so objectively wrong and stupid that he impeached his own credentials to many.

Down Bag will be the lightest, warmest, and most packable by far. Some companies are treating the down with a DWR type stuff now too. They will also be the most expensive and should not be stored in their stuff bag because it will compress and break the feathers up which translates to loss in temp rating

Not saying you shouldn't buy a synthetic bag. Synthetics have come a long way.

I'm a hot sleeper and have found that a down bag will keep me warm in temps lower than the stated rating of the bag