Synthetic or Merino?

JSonn

FNG
I either use my trusty MC 782 Gear Flash-Lite 1/4 zip or First Lite Chama 1/4 zip- bottom line is I go with natural fibers over syn, I've learned my lesson.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't wear synthetics at all anymore. Merino is softer, wicks sweat better, feels warmer while drying, and best of all doesn't seem to stink even after a week or more in the field --don't get me wrong, I stink, just not my base layer :) I have been pleased with products by icebreaker and stoic, as well as I/O Bio and even smartwool. I keep my eyes open, and shop deals when I can. Even my socks and underwear are merino these days...

barcher

FNG
I've always used synthetic, but this year I'm going to try merino. I'll get either Ibex or KUIU, not sure which yet.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little of each for me. For archery i pack an extra shirt or two each day to trade out as the sweat accumulates. Come October/November with the cooler temps I tend to use the merino more, whether it is KUIU or smartwool. I'm kind of a base layer guy picking up something new about every year whether i need it or not.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I like merino, to me synthetic stinks after the first good sweat. Merino never seems to get the funk!

Ryan

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Merino Wool only. Been using Icebreaker and Smartwool. Will be switching to Kryptek this year.

Most all of my trips are over 3 or 4 days and the synthetics all become funky regardless of how much silver, charcoal, or new bacteria killer they claim to have in the material.

stephen b

WKR
For base layer - have moved for the last 4-5 years to mostly all Merino or silk, other than sometimes Wigwam Ultimax liner socks under my merino socks. Have worn synthetic underpants/ boxers for years even when wearing merino and silk other layers. Now, this past year went to Merino Boxers, and do not know why I waited so long.- Other than being too cheap to spend 35-50 dollars on a pair of undies when I had so many synthetic undies.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Merino all the way for me. Tried it a few years ago and haven't looked back, but if anyone wants some stinky synthetic base layers in size medium hit me up ;)

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I use a little bit of both. Sitka Tee for my top, but socks and underwear are merino. I've always used UA, but I am finding it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
Merino from head to toe. Kuiu tops, ice breaker bottoms and boxers, smart wool socks.

@ Luke; its funny you say that. My synthetics, which I used all summer to work out in, still stink. They've been aired out, washed, even hit with a dash of bleach. Buggers still have a little stench.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

FNG
After trying all kinds of synthetics I always come back to silk. Never tried merino but I'm gonna pick up some Kuiu this season.

Lawnboi

WKR
Are there any positives to synthetic? All merino for me. Sometimes its nice to wear poly though when the suns really beating you on the prarie. But when its that hot, ill just take some ash from my kifaru stove, take my shirt off, and give myself my own vias camo