Synthetic Puffy Insulation Degradation Rate

This is an interesting thread from another site ( https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111770709/synthetic-puffy-longevity ) that found that synthetic insulation lost 40% of its insulating value after only a few weeks/months. It explains how, basically, disposable synthetic puffys really are. There are a bunch of backpacking threads all over the internet saying essentially the same thing as well. I've definitely noticed reduction in warmth over relatively short (in my mind) periods of time from synthetic puffys. What are your experiences with synthetic after using it for a season or two?

I read that same thread not too long ago. I did some further research and people seem to be having better luck with the Climashield APEX. I have a jacket with the Toray FullRange and I would guess it has been better than a PrimaLoft would have done, but it definitely is not 'like new.' The next nice synthetic jacket I own I will be kinder to, won't drive in it, cinch it down tight around my tripod, etc.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I was very surprised to learn as well how detrimental it is to ride in a vehicle, wear a pack or even use the stuff sack for synthetics. I know you should minimize it but had no idea how greatly and easily it permanently ruins the insulation.

I haven’t noticed any issues with my Kuiu kenai, worn a lot over 2 years. But I have not stuffed it/packed it down much either. I had a synthetic sleeping bag that was pretty much useless after one or two seasons, on the other hand. Seems like compression is the enemy of synthetics..

I am in my 4th year with a patty nanopuff. I do not see or feel any degradation. Maybe it can be the stitching? Not sure.

mcseal2

WKR
My Kifaru slickbag and puffy are still going strong after a few seasons. The slickbag was used when I got it and I have had it at least 5 years.

OP
MuleDeerMike
The Apex insulation is one of the better ones for withstanding the degredation, to my understanding.

I stopped wearing synthetic puffy jackets casually because of this. I noticed it big time with a couple arcteryx jackets that were too comfortable to not wear all spring/fall. My uncompahgre isn't as fluffy as it once was but it has seen a pretty good amount of use.

I've been using primarily nunatak apex gear for sleeping bag and puffy jacket/pants lately and haven't seen notable degradation but also haven't used the stuff a ton yet.

mort9687

FNG
This is a very interesting thread, I've never heard of synthetic insulation degrading. That would also explain why my synthetic sleeping bag is not keeping me as warm as it originally did. Guess it is time to go shopping for a new bag