Synthetic puffy jackets

bheck

FNG
What are some good ones? Has to be synthetic since I’m hunting western Wa, but mainly will wear for glassing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoneyDew

WKR
I’m sure guys will have other opinions but I can at least provide one data point. I live and hunt western WA using the first lite uncompaghre.

Hoodie

WKR
FWIW I personally haven´t had trouble with down in Western Oregon. Just wear a rain shell over it, keep it well waterproofed in your pack, and it´s all good.

Synthetic has other advantages like breathability, but it definitely loses loft with regular use. Especially if you compress it. It´s all what you´re comfortable with though. Definitely works better if you do accidentally get it soaked.

The Kuiu Kenai is a good synthetic jacket, but might not be warm enough for standalone insulation, depending on the time of year. Very quiet though. Also like the Black Diamond First Light.

Kostrize

WKR
Two that I tried and like so far:

OR Colossus- this is a beastly synthetic jacket. I wore it around 15F for two hours and my upper half was good. I could see using it to 0F with proper layering. OR’s marketing talked about using it down to like -25F. It has a lot of features and the face fabric seems pretty durable. The baffle around the collar and face of the hood is awesome. The hood is sized giant for use with a helmet. It has a long parka cut with long drop tail. It is about as warm as an 800fp 8.8 oz fill weight down puffy I have. For 250 it’s a great value IMO

Beyond Clothing K7 Cetra- this is a thinner puffy that also has a lot of features. It doesn’t immediately feel as warm as a level 7 jacket. I’ve used it casually around freezing and I could see using it down to maybe 20F. It also has a long cut. The face fabric is extremely tough. I cut off the sleeve/wrist gussets because they were awful but anyway the fabric was so tough it was a chore to cut through it even with medical shears. This packs down fairly well compared to the Colossus but doesn’t have the same feeling of instant static warmth

Some other synthetics I’d considered that should be warm enough for glassing:

Black Diamond Belay Parka
Rab Nebula Pro
Kuiu Elements
Kifaru LPP
Beyond Clothing K7 Light
Massif PCU Level 7 Jacket with Apex

All of these jackets come in around 2lbs except the Light

I found it’s pretty hard to compare the warmth of synthetics with all the proprietary variations of insulation out there. Hopefully this helps some

stump06

WKR
For bowhunting... Kuiu Kenai hands down. The quietest puffy out there.
Other than that its really personal preference. I have a Kryptek lykos and like it but its louder. the Kifaru LPP is a great option if you won't be wearing it walking

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had a kifaru one for ~ 4 years now. I have no complaints. It’s warm even when it’s soaked, blocks wind well enough for snowmachining in 0 degree weather.

Jimss

WKR
Most of the new synthetic jackets and vests tend to be fairly noisy in brush. I bought a Sitka fanatic vest a couple years ago and love it. I can wear it as an outer or inside a jacket when colder. It has a fleece outer that is extremely quiet and dries quickly. I'm a little surprised that Sitka and Kuiu haven't come out with a quiet cloth outer on their jackets.....even a quiet micro=fleece material would be super quiet and nice! I noticed that Sitka has a microfleece Fanatic hoodie that would be a great layer.

rdbunch20

FNG
I would recommend the Kuiu Kenai as well. One of my favorite pieces for NM bow and oct elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
bheck

bheck

FNG
Thank you for all the recommendations. I did order a kifaru LPP in November but still no date of when it’s going to be shipped, I may just go with the Kuiu kenai, it looks pretty nice actually.

Last edited:
ATOM AR jacket for me. I bought one this last fall in black and wear it hunting and almost everything day now. Blocks the wind and will layer underneath another shell well to give you maximum warmth.

I will buy another one!