Synthetic quilts

twall13

WKR
What do you mean by "packs out"? It gets to full loft faster?
Just guessing but I'd say he meant it loses loft faster, meaning it takes fewer cycles of being compressed in your pack, etc. before it loses its effectiveness and isn't nearly as warm as when you first got it. That happens with all insulation, but much more so with synthetics, and some types of synthetics are worse than others.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
What do you mean by "packs out"? It gets to full loft faster?
Unfortunately, it's basically the opposite. Synthetic insulation physically breaks down and won't hold its' loft over time/useage. A 15 degree bag might be a 20 or 25 degree bag after a few years of use, buy still all the weight of a 15 deg bag. To me it is still the biggeat drawback of synthetics and why I try to stick to down as my primary insulation. Synthetic supplements my down, maximizing the benefits of each.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately, it's basically the opposite. Synthetic insulation physically breaks down and won't hold its' loft over time/useage. A 15 degree bag might be a 20 or 25 degree bag after a few years of use, buy still all the weight of a 15 deg bag. To me it is still the biggeat drawback of synthetics and why I try to stick to down as my primary insulation. Synthetic supplements my down, maximizing the benefits of each.
Thanks for the feedback. What system do you use and what weather /temperature?

My concern is the wet damp temperatures in TX. Some of our winter time is 80 degrees. Other times wind, rain and 17 degrees (rarely colder in my part)

tdot

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. What system do you use and what weather /temperature?

My concern is the wet damp temperatures in TX. Some of our winter time is 80 degrees. Other times wind, rain and 17 degrees (rarely colder in my part)

I'm in southern BC, we are consistently wet and with temps bouncing around freezing levels, even during the warmest days of late summer, night time temps are only a few degrees above freezing.

My system is a Nunatak 30 degree 850 waterproof down filled quilt, borah gear hybrid bug bivy and then a Nunatak 40 degree apex flat quilt.

The down quilt has a sewn foot box and a zipper to close it up like a bag if necessary. I find those two features really extend the usefulness of the quilt. The bivy is primarily for bugs and splashing from under the tarp edges, plus keeps the quilts dry/clean from the bottom. The Apex quilt is primarily used as an over quilt to boost the temp rating if necessary, also to help with moisture if I have a problem. I'll use the Apex around camp and while glassing to boost my Insulation layers.

This is my 3rd iteration of the dual quilt system and I'm very happy with it.

It does take a bit more messing around then a bunch of bags, but for me it gives the most versatility & performance, with the least amount of weight and cost.

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
I have a EE apex quilt. 20 degree. I am a hot sleeper but, man, it's a legit 20 degree rating for me. A little heavier and definitely bulkier but I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk