Synthetic quilts

I’ve been looking at the Kifaru, Enlightened Equipment and VIAM for a 10 or 20 degree synthetic quilt. What’s your experience with these items, how they compare, and are there any other brands I should be looking at?

I just bought an outdoor vitals zero degree quilt. Seems very well made and reasonably priced. I haven’t got to try it out yet just another option for you. Best wishes

twall13

WKR
Kifaru and Enlightened Equipment both make quality gear. I'm not as familiar with VIAM but have heard good things. Another couple of options I've had good luck with are Arrowhead Equipment (they use Climashield Apex like Kifaru and Enlightened Equipment) and Locolibre Gear.

I guess it sort of depends on what you are looking for. The Kifaru will likely be the heaviest option with comparable warmth ratings, but it will also be the most durable with their RhinoSkin shell. Enlightened Equipment and Loco Libre will be the most customizable. Arrowhead is typically a really good value and ships very quickly in my experience. I haven't compared synthetic quilts in awhile so I'm not 100% sure where prices are these days.

I have more quilts & bags than a healthy person would ever buy. I have stair-stepped all the way to the top to find the ideal option. I heavily invested in synthetic only to discover that for backpacking, Nirvana in a sleep system comes in the form of a 950 fill down EE Conundrum with draft collar...mine is a -10* model and with venting, is ideal for any trek. It replaced all my other quilts including my Kifaru gear. I also have the mitts, sidekicks and all three weight hoodlums. This is the most versatile sleep system I have yet to use. Lighter than synthetic, less bulk and covers you for most trips. Take a look:

twall13

WKR
I agree with @Where's Bruce? on using Down for most situations as it packs better, retains it's loft better through the cycles of being compressed in a pack repeatedly, and is warmer for the weight than synthetic. Most guys are better off with down if they take care to keep it dry. That said, there are areas and situations where synthetic has it's place and I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it if they are more comfortable with synthetic.

I can't believe you use a -10* quilt year round Bruce, I couldn't handle that. I know you can vent, but when I have to vent a quilt I end up tossing and turning more in the night making little adjustments. I also don't want to pack the extra weight and bulk of a winter weight quilt during the summer. I'd rather stack two lighter weight quilts in the cold and have more versatility during the warmer months than have a super warm winter quilt as my only option. I guess that's why I have so many quilts... Everyone has to find what works for them, which may not be what works for someone else.

I'll also mention that the hoodlums are a good idea for use with a quilt if you really do plan on sleeping in temperatures anywhere near or below freezing.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I already have a 20 degree BA down bag that has been pretty nice, but my worry is always moisture. In my last hunt I had to set up the tent in a rain storm, which caused the interior to become a bit wet before I could get the fly on. Everything was damp the next couple days, even though the bag continued to perform. My hope was to switch to synthetic primarily so as to not worry as much about moisture and also as a means to warm myself and dry off throughout the night if my clothing were wet.

Where's Bruce, what was your thoughts on the Kifaru quilt?

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I already have a 20 degree BA down bag that has been pretty nice, but my worry is always moisture. In my last hunt I had to set up the tent in a rain storm, which caused the interior to become a bit wet before I could get the fly on. Everything was damp the next couple days, even though the bag continued to perform. My hope was to switch to synthetic primarily so as to not worry as much about moisture and also as a means to warm myself and dry off throughout the night if my clothing were wet.

Where's Bruce, what was your thoughts on the Kifaru quilt?
They're fine, a bit bulkier than I'd like. They hold up well when abused. I used to experience the same concerns you do until iI switched to hammock camping in wet climes. I put the tarp up first and then hang the hammock under it, nice and dry and up away from the snow & mud.

hammockavatar.jpghammocks.jpg

reaper

WKR
I have Kifaru quilt,I like it,I just use my Kifaru Parka and a pair of down booties when it's about -10°c
dc4f202ff287a6126dc53b25bddff140.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I have a Katabatic Gear Palisade, that I've had for 5-6 years. It's a 30 degree quilt, with 2 ounces of overstuff. I've used it into the mid teens with no problem. I've even spent a night in it in light snow with no tarp (high 20's). I don't make a habit of doing that. But, you know how things don't always go according to plan. Their down is treated with some hydrophobic stuff and the shell has a DWR. So, while I wouldn't sleep out in the open in rain, I don't really worry about it from a moisture perspective.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into the same thing. I stumbled across the UGQ Synergy (thier synthetic version).

Not to hijack the thread, just tossing in another question for educational purposes.

The UGQ Synergy uses "loose" synthetic fill. Picture a blender got hold of it and now the synthetic material is not a sheet but more like down.

Here is my question: I understand that the continuous filament (like Kifaru and others mentioned) big selling point is no cold spot! The argument for the shredded fill is that it is lighter in weight and has a higher warmth to weight rating.

Can anyone tell me if either of there is a true game changer OR is it just another form of marketing and all of it is good these days and it is more like picking fly poop out of chili?

I want to go synthetic as I live in TX where it gets cold but is usually wet when it is cold and do not want to take the risk of down (even though down has "gotten better" with the additives.

twall13

WKR
I am looking into the same thing. I stumbled across the UGQ Synergy (thier synthetic version).

Not to hijack the thread, just tossing in another question for educational purposes.

The UGQ Synergy uses "loose" synthetic fill. Picture a blender got hold of it and now the synthetic material is not a sheet but more like down.

Here is my question: I understand that the continuous filament (like Kifaru and others mentioned) big selling point is no cold spot! The argument for the shredded fill is that it is lighter in weight and has a higher warmth to weight rating.

Can anyone tell me if either of there is a true game changer OR is it just another form of marketing and all of it is good these days and it is more like picking fly poop out of chili?

I think there are pros and cons either way. One advantage of the 'sheet' of Apex is that if you tear the outer material you don't lose all the fill, just tape it and go on your way. I'm not sure that the loose fill synthetics are really all that much lighter, if at all, but I'd bet they pack down smaller as the Apex is fairly bulky.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an outdoor vitals zero degree quilt. Seems very well made and reasonably priced. I haven’t got to try it out yet just another option for you. Best wishes
Did you get a chance to test this quilt out in lower temperatures yet? I was leaning this way but after looking at the different features you can get on the UGO quilts (for not much more) it has me reconsidering...

Twall13 has a good point on another benefit on the Apex material vs loose material as you patch and go vs possibly losing fill material. A possibly I had not considered.

tdot

WKR

I want to go synthetic as I live in TX where it gets cold but is usually wet when it is cold and do not want to take the risk of down (even though down has "gotten better" with the additives.
My experience with loose synthetic is that it packs out even quicker then the sheet insulation. My last loose insulation piece was from 5-6 years ago, so maybe its changed, but I doubt it.

Trial153

WKR
I have an 20 degree EE synthetic that I have used the hell of. No problems down into the low 30s a few times. Its a good product, packs well and is fairly light for what it is. It has also held up great, in all honesty I didnt expect it to. I don't baby equipment all.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with loose synthetic is that it packs out even quicker then the sheet insulation. My last loose insulation piece was from 5-6 years ago, so maybe its changed, but I doubt it.
What do you mean by "packs out"? It gets to full loft faster?