T booster at 65+?

Thunt22

FNG
Classified Approved
BS Dexa? Would love to know what’s out there that makes x ray “BS”.
Dexas telling people they have 5-7% bf when that’s the leanest body builders will get when stepping on stage. I know elk shape put up a video this year that claimed he was in that range (I think) which is not correct. Also had Ronnie Coleman at like <1% which isn’t even possible

I don’t have a dog in the fight, and I haven’t seen the elk shape post or any claims made by Ronnie Coleman. My only point of reference is the scientific literature. According to which DEXA is the gold standard for now.

Next to dissection (100% accurate). Which is a tough sell with the Leigh man for practical reasons.

Thunt22

FNG
Classified Approved
I don’t have a dog in the fight, and I haven’t seen the elk shape post or any claims made by Ronnie Coleman. My only point of reference is the scientific literature. According to which DEXA is the gold standard for now.

Next to dissection (100% accurate). Which is a tough sell with the Leigh man for practical reasons.
Maybe there’s a lot better dexa machines than others but the anecdotal claims I’ve seen/heard have been off by 4-8%

NUBIG10

FNG
get the test, find your levels, if they are in range i would wait. If levels are low for age TRT can be a real benefit. I know older guys who are on it that like it. A clinic would be best, I have used a lot of gear for powerlifting, 500mg of test-e a week split 3.5 days apart was a great base level. $35 bucks a week is pretty cheap TBH

Anyone have experience with this at that age? Any worthwhile results?

Quick research shows me a local place wants $350 for the tests and then if I did shots at home it would be around $35 per week. I need to research supplemental programs that might cover some of that. Anyone have part B cover the tests?

Thanks in advance.

I was put on TRT by my urologist after my cardiologist added my test level on a blood test. It came in way below normal. I was 225, 168 and 254 on three tests.

I was put on 75 mg of test with a Xyosted injector. Then bumped up to 100 mg after a month because I felt nothing. Fast forward a few months and the urologist did my test and it came in 545 so exactly average for a 55 year old. I felt better than I did but not great. The week later I had my blood tested by another doctor and on that I found I had high hematocrit, high RBC, high hemoglobin, elevated white blood cells but just in the normal range. Then I had my blood pressure checked by my cardiologist and had 201/104! The nurse that took it was visibly shaken and said I needed to be in the hospital. They put me on blood pressure meds. The only time I ever had high blood pressure was the day I had a widow maker heart attack at 43 just 7 months after winning the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan ams. I was told by the cardiologist that out the stent in me I probably had at least a 95% blockage at the pan ams. I was always 110/70 to 125/85 until TRT and was told to stop taking it.

There is also medical evidence that at 65+ there is elevated cardiac events for TRT.

I didn’t feel significantly better on the 100mg a week which many consider a lower dose and now I have a new issue. To me it wasn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you have a family doc that can request blood work? I don't know about Medicare or whatever but my doc has me do them once a year and health insurance covers almost all of it.
As for test levels, nobody can tell you if you have low T or not if you don't have a baseline number from your 30s, 40s ect. Do you have the symptoms?
Some 30 year old guys are at 450 while another 60 year old may be in the 7-800s.
As far as testosterone boosters, they are a joke. TRT is the only way to go to appropriately raise your numbers. There is a lot of information out there now and for a lot of guys it's life changing. Not even older guys, people in their 40s-50s.

get the test, find your levels, if they are in range i would wait. If levels are low for age TRT can be a real benefit. I know older guys who are on it that like it. A clinic would be best, I have used a lot of gear for powerlifting, 500mg of test-e a week split 3.5 days apart was a great base level. $35 bucks a week is pretty cheap TBH

500 mg is a MASSIVE dose for TRT, no? Your numbers might be skewed if your experience was “gear for powerlifting.”

NUBIG10

FNG
500mg is absolutely a level not for TRT, I should have made more of a distinction that that was for powerlifting purposes from my experience.

Cory

500 mg is a MASSIVE dose for TRT, no? Your numbers might be skewed if your experience was “gear for powerlifting.”
500 is probably double what you would get for TRT. But then its hard to say, especially if someone is really low for a specific reason, and cant produce it on their own.

There are lots of good posts on this thread. Things to consider when weighing the benefits and risks of doing some type of androgen therapy.

Following this with much interest. I recently retired and as an old guy, just turned 66 this week, working on losing weight and getting back into better shape in general and for hunting. A lot to think about and good reminders. I forgot one of the basics and that was getting enough sleep. So used to my previous life style of getting 6 hrs of not so good sleep. I need to get back to a good nights 8 hr of sleep as a start. Its the simple stuff. Thanks for all good info.