T/C Contender Carbine - Caliber Advice

Hello everybody,

I'm Lee in the UK. I've been shooting, fishing and hunting for the past 40 years and around 10 or so years ago, sold my G2 carbine (.22 Hornet) and have regretted it ever since.

I’ve been looking for a T/C Contender here in the UK for years, but they just don’t come up for sale over here.

This weekend, I found and purchased an old (original - not G2) Contender rifle in .17 Rem. I bought it cheap and suspect that the barrel is shot out.

I want to have it re-barrelled or purchase a new barrel from T/C Arms, but am pretty sure they won’t ship to the UK.

Handgun hunting is illegal in the UK, so the barrel has to be above 14".

I’m hoping to use the Contender for foxes and deer, but we have stupid laws that must be abided to. The main one (in regards to deer) is that the cartridge / firearm used, must produce a minimum of 1700 foot lbs of muzzle energy.

I currently hunt deer & boar with 6.5 Creedmoor & .308 Win rifles that obviously surpass the 1700 foot pound requirement.

I’m looking to use the little Contender out to 200-yards (max). Where I shoot, the absolute closest you’ll get to a deer is 75-yards, with most shots taken at around 150-yards.

Whilst I appreciate that I’m going to make myself sound like a big sissy, I don’t want to re-barrel the Contender in a calibre that’s going to knock me about on such a small / lightweight rifle. I load my .308’s with stout loads and want something lighter for the little Contender.

With the above criteria in mind, what calibre would you guys advise me to go for?

Many thanks,

Lee.

ahlgringo

WKR
You reload or looking for classic cal that would be easier to source ammo for?

off the top of my head maybe 30/30?

You could also check with these guys about shipping to UK. I have gotten a couple of barrels from em.

I have both 30/30 and 45-70 barrels, love em- and not that bad to shoot.

OP
Leezie (UK)
You reload or looking for classic cal that would be easier to source ammo for?

off the top of my head maybe 30/30?

You could also check with these guys about shipping to UK. I have gotten a couple of barrels from em.

I have both 30/30 and 45-70 barrels, love em- and not that bad to shoot.
Thanks ahlgringo. I'll drop them an email tomorrow. 👍. Yeah, been "rollin my own" since a kid, back when we were allowed handguns over here. 🙁 Started off reloading 9mm for my H&K's through to .44 Mag for my 629. I have to say, I did give some thought to the venerable 30/30. I'm a bit of a fan of the old cartridges...probably more so in that Contender that I've just bought. I own a few .22 Hornets and three 45-70's and take great pleasure when out with guys using "modern" calibres (yeah, that how we spell it over here - the "r" before the "e"...God only knows why?)...anyway, as I say, my buddies use .223's for foxes and admittedly take them out at greater range than I do, but that old .22 Hornet still drops them just fine at sensible distances. Thanks, Lee.

Wapiti1

WKR
Since you reload, look at the JD Jones series of cartridges. Also take a look at the 6.5mm BRM from EA Brown.

Those will get the most out of it you possibly can. For a more sedate, but effective choice the 7-30 Waters is excellent. That one was factory chambered by TC.

Jeremy

OP
Leezie (UK)
Thanks guys. I knew nothing about the 7-30 Waters as it's not a calibre that I've come across over here.

I've just had a bit of a swot-up on google and yes, it does seem to be pretty ideal for my needs.

However, I've just dug out my old Hornady Handbook 8th edition and it says that the 7-30 is "acceptable" in terms of accuracy with groups of 2" at 100-yards!!!!

Now, I'm not a precision shooter and I appreciate that the 7-30 Waters isn’t a benchrest calibre, but if I can't get a sub 1" group at 100 yards when shooting prone with any of my more modern rifles, then I'm not a happy bunny...like many of us, I can virtually get a 2" group with my 45-70's at 100 yards!

I realise it's the guy (or gal) behind the trigger at the end of the day and that I'm not expecting a tack-driver or to be able to shoot varmints at 300 yards with it, but surely it must be capable of better grouping than that? 😳

Thanks,

Lee.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks guys. I knew nothing about the 7-30 Waters as it's not a calibre that I've come across over here.

I've just had a bit of a swot-up on google and yes, it does seem to be pretty ideal for my needs.

However, I've just dug out my old Hornady Handbook 8th edition and it says that the 7-30 is "acceptable" in terms of accuracy with groups of 2" at 100-yards!!!!

Now, I'm not a precision shooter and I appreciate that the 7-30 Waters isn’t a benchrest calibre, but if I can't get a sub 1" group at 100 yards when shooting prone with any of my more modern rifles, then I'm not a happy bunny...like many of us, I can virtually get a 2" group with my 45-70's at 100 yards!

I realise it's the guy (or gal) behind the trigger at the end of the day and that I'm not expecting a tack-driver or to be able to shoot varmints at 300 yards with it, but surely it must be capable of better grouping than that? 😳

Thanks,

Lee.
I have had two 7-30 Waters barrels. One a 12" Hunter and the other a 14". Both were easy 1" at 100 yards shooters with 120gr bullets. Both really like Nosler BT's and those performed great on deer and antelope. I'd be extremely surprised if you can't get under an inch in a carbine length or longer barrel.

My dad has the 12" barrel now, and has probably shot 15-20 whitetail deer with it. They run about 30 yards, and down.

Jeremy

OP
Leezie (UK)
Fantastic stuff!!!! That's what I wanted to hear Jeremy. 👍🏻Not sure on barrel length yet as I haven’t done any research on what's best for the calibre.

I was steering towards a 30-30, until the 7-30 Waters was mention on here.

All I have to do now is find a barrel! 😖

Thanks again,

Lee.

Northpark

WKR
No idea on source or ability to ship but I can throw my two cents in on caliber. I would look at a .243 Winchester, pretty mild recoil and can be loaded with a wide variety of bullets.

OP
Leezie (UK)
Thanks Northpark. You’re right, the .243 is a fine calibre indeed…taken plenty of Roe deer with it over here. Just fancied something a bit different. 😂

Thanks, Lee.

TSnave

FNG
Contender won't handle a 243. I run a 21" barrel in 30-30, with 125-130 grain bullets for deer out to about 200 yards. Haven't had any problems yet. You would have to reach 2500 fps to get your specified muzzle energy with a 125, which is right up there at max charge according to Hodgdon. If you go with a custom barrel, I would strongly consider the 30-30 Improved, or 7-30 Improved just to get that extra little bit of "oomph".

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC would be interesting in that platform and fairly flat shooting, the 7.62x39 with appropriate bore would be an inexpensive blaster if cheap surplus ammo is available across the pond

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not an engineer, but 2hen I was doing some looking I saw that MGM (match grade machine, one of the larger contender barrel makers) lists most of the modern AR15 chambering a as "G2 only" over concerns about frame stretching. My understanding is that while these rounds have a similar or slightly higher chamber pressure to the factory safe .223, the larger case diameter means more total bolt thrust. Since OP doesn't have a G2 frame, the x39 and it's derivatives are out.

If you ask me, .30-30 or .32 Special is about perfect. You can run lighter loads for smaller stuff or full house to make sure the deer drops. I don't know about the distances you're shooting, IMO the .30-30 is a 150yd gun.

.35 Remington will do the job and is a factory loading in the Contender. Unfortunately with your high minimum energy requirements and the limitations of the Contender frame you're going to be stuck in the last century.

.45-70 is viable. You don't have to max it out, 300-ish grain projectiles will get the job done without being loaded all the way to 3000ft-lb muzzle energy.

For more modern stuff there's .277 Wolverine, the TCU loads, and one I haven't seen mentioned yet, the humble 6x47 Lapua!

The 6x47 is Contender safe, it's hella accurate, and from a carbine barrel I imagine you'll be looking at a 90-100gr projectile rather than some of the lighter stuff. Components should be easy to source from across the north sea, not sure if that's more available than .30-30 or not. You can stick with the traditional 27" barrel, quite handy still or drop it down to the 20-23" range. Now it won't have the barrel life of the .30-30, not sure if that's as much a concern.

I would take a peep at MGM's chamber listings, note the ones listed as safe for all contenders, and build a list from there. You could try contacting Bulberry as well or check out some of the Contender fanhubs like Greybeard Outdoors' forum, there's a much broader depth of knowledge.

Most importantly upload some pics when you decide on one!

Another company to look into is Lehigh defense/ssk firearms...they have literally everything parts wise for your first generation contender....and they make barrels as well...and are really reasonably priced.

OP
Leezie (UK)
Thanks Actual_Cryptid & Wmmichael20.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse about the 1700 ft lb thing over here. 😡

I don't use factory ammo - just "roll my own" and currently load & shoot 6mm BR, .22 Hornet + K Hornet, 45-70, 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 Blackout rifles.

I did consider 6 ARC, but I think that because Contenders are about as rare as an honest politician over here and the one I've picked up is a vintage 1969 model, that I'm currently bringing back to life (on my fourth coat of Tru-oil), an older calibre would be more fitting for the little carbine. Still not completely used to the look of my 6mm BR Ruger No.1 with a bead-blasted stainless barrel yet!😡

30-30 brass & dies, .30 Cal bullets and suitable powders are easy to find over here.

I rarely shoot deer past 250 yards and most are under 200 yards. Our Roe deer (the one's that I mainly shoot) are small deer too. Averaging around just 60lbs, so I thought a 30-03 pushing something like a 150 grainer at around 2260 fps would do the trick. I know it's at the upper end for the 30-30, but definitely achievable.

Our Red deer are a different matter at around 400lb - 500lb, but my .308's do the trick on them!

I contacted TC Arms about acquiring a new / replacement barrel and quite frankly, it was a total waste of time!

I've emailed Troy at Bullberry & MGM, but neither have got back to me yet.

If I do manage to get this little rifle up and running, I'll be sure to post piccies. on here. 👍🏻

Many thanks,

Lee.

Wapiti1

WKR
Shipping may be an issue, but Ebay is one of the better sources. Mike Belm is another to contact. He usually has a selection of barrels.

One last option is to find what you can, and use it as a barrel stub to rebarrel. There used to be a maker of stub kits called Eagle View Arms, but I don't think they are in business anymore. Anyhow, you can use any barrel you have, cut it down about 1/2" from the lug, bore it, and thread the stub to make it whatever you want. I've made two that way from pitted barrels that went through a flood. Granted, I did the work in my own shop, but it might be an option.

Jeremy